Country Club Restaurants

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2022, 06:54 PM

I agree with the posters who rate Palmer, Glenview and Lopez as the best of the County Club restaurants. The porch at Glenview is a beautiful room with a pretty view. I haven't been this year yet but I used to enjoy the fish tacos there for lunch. Tierra del Sol is also one of the top ones.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:56 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,037 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
The best restaurants in TV in alphabetical order:
Blue Fin
Bone Fish
Coastal Del Mar
Chop House
If these are "the best", I'm eating off campus from now on
Old 11-23-2022, 06:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,605 Times in 942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Can anyone explain why the country club restaurants are so inferior to chop house in bluefin with the same ownership?
Different price points. You pay more, you get better quality ingredients.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:06 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Different price points. You pay more, you get better quality ingredients.
No. The difference in price doesn’t justify the lack of quality or attention. He can do better or just doesn’t care. Doesn’t matter, I am done with the country clubs food
Old 11-23-2022, 07:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Can anyone explain why the country club restaurants are so inferior to chop house in bluefin with the same ownership?
FMK restaurants are not inferior. The other restaurants have higher price points so you will get different food.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
No. The difference in price doesn’t justify the lack of quality or attention. He can do better or just doesn’t care. Doesn’t matter, I am done with the country clubs food
They are not country clubs. Restaurants adjacent to a golf course.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,605 Times in 942 Posts

Quote:
Higher prices = higher bills = higher tips = high quality staff.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,508 Times in 3,104 Posts

One of the country clubs back home was opened several years after my grandparents got married, and they were founding members of it. I grew up in the "country club set" and I can assure you - there's nothing stellar about country club food. I mean it was good tasting and properly cooked, but there was nothing about it that made it any better than anything my mom would cook at home. The only really memorable dish was the Lobster Newburg, which was always my favorite. But I'm pretty sure they used the Knorr mix and cooking sherry to make it.

Country club restaurants are always overpriced, and usually have components that are pre-packaged - if not completely pre-packaged. They're all portion controlled, and the main entree ingredient usually comes in frozen.

The Villages is no different. That doesn't make them bad, but I think some people have unrealistic expectations of food down here. Or they have really low standards.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,037 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

I grew up in the "country club set" and I can assure you - there's nothing stellar about country club food. I mean it was good tasting and properly cooked, but there was nothing about it that made it any better than anything my mom would cook at home.

Country club restaurants are always overpriced, and usually have components that are pre-packaged - if not completely pre-packaged. They're all portion controlled, and the main entree ingredient usually comes in frozen.

I have no clue what sort of "country club" you're speaking of, but I can assure you, the country clubs I belong to and have belonged to, don't plate anything that was "pre-packaged" and their food rivals the finest restaurants in the area. When you're paying your Chef $100K+, you' better be serving good food.

The are country clubs and there are Country Clubs.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

I was just going by the ratings of Village restaurants based on reviews. Red Sauce is #1 and Glenview is #2. As for your list:

[QUOTE=JSR22;2160256]The best restaurants in TV in alphabetical order:
Blue Fin never been, don’t like the menu
Bone Fish never been
Coastal Del Mar new so have not been yet
Chop House do not like, will not return
Harvest never been, don’t like the menu
Havana been once, it was fine
Lopez never been, will try at some point
Mezza Luna been once and it was good
Palmer never been, not sure if I’ll try, heard there is a dress code
Prima never been, will try at some point
Glenview and Red Sauce are average at best, maybe but we like them and as said ranked 1 and 2.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
What source are you using for your ratings? Neither of these two are any where near the top according to Yelp.
TripAdvisor which is the only site I go by.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
They are not near the top. We eat dinner out 3 to 4 times a week. They are not in our rotation.
Red Sauce, Glenview, Back Porch are probably our most visited. We also go to Belle Glade and friends like Codys in Brownwood so we go there is they want to.

Glenview has an excellent Brunch on the weekends.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I guess it varies by person. I would pick Glenview or Belle Grade everyday over Chop House or Bluefin.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I have no clue what sort of "country club" you're speaking of, but I can assure you, the country clubs I belong to and have belonged to, don't plate anything that was "pre-packaged" and their food rivals the finest restaurants in the area. When you're paying your Chef $100K+, you' better be serving good food.

The are country clubs and there are Country Clubs.
So correct, the 3 CC’s we frequent up north, have true chefs, and yes pay scale is $150,000 plus bonus. Not one food item enters their kitchen unless it’s fresh, and most try for locally sourced. Plus your mandatory monthly is usually $600-$800 at restaurants.so nope on prepackaged
Old 11-23-2022, 09:36 PM
Default Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
After being in The Villages for almost a year, I had my first dinner at a Country Club, last night.

It sort of reminded me of Howard Johnson's, in the 70's. Dated decor, old silverware, wrapped in a paper napkin ... mashed potatoes, served with an "ice cream scooper". The food was ok, but was more like the kind of food you would find at a casual Mom & Pop restaurant, on a back road somewhere.

Without mentioning the name of which country club I was at, is it reasonable to assume all the country clubs all fairly similar?
Without looking at any other responses I will say this. In the Villages almost a year and never going to a country club restaurant is total BS. Another click bait let's get out the knives. Ok, got me. Happy? Go back in your personal hole.
Closed Thread

Tags
country, club, food, mom, fairly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.