Culvers- No Help

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2021, 04:32 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,301 Times in 559 Posts
Default Culvers- No Help

The sign on the door said, short staffed use drive-thru ! My choice was Drive-off rather than get in a line that wraps around the building! What happened to this restaurant? The indoor seating has been closed all week! The staff was so pleasant and always so eager to make us happy! Do others feel the same? It will be along time before I return to Culvers!
Old 04-16-2021, 04:49 PM

Too many folks receiving too much unemployment insurance... would lose money taking a job
Old 04-16-2021, 05:12 PM

McDonalds in Colony was drive thru only last week when we stopped by. No reason they should be closed to indoor service. Long line at drive thru, no thanks.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:04 PM

Yes, the line looks long, but it moves along relatively quickly, and you still get the same freshly made food. The workers are handling the crush with positive attitudes. Closing the dining room means the personnel present can concentrate on food prep and delivery rather than dining room sanitization and clean up.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwarz View Post
Too many folks receiving too much unemployment insurance... would lose money taking a job
Sad but unfortunately very true
Old 04-16-2021, 06:16 PM

It’s happening all over the country. Free money from the taxpayers makes being jobless more lucrative. Businesses shouldn’t have to compete with government. I’m not saying this as a political statement because I’ve criticized all the handouts.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
The sign on the door said, short staffed use drive-thru ! My choice was Drive-off rather than get in a line that wraps around the building! What happened to this restaurant? The indoor seating has been closed all week! The staff was so pleasant and always so eager to make us happy! Do others feel the same? It will be along time before I return to Culvers!
Your final comment that it will be along time before you return to Culver's concerns me. I'm not sure if you think closing the dining area is Culver's fault, and therefore won't go back, or if you aren't mad at them but just don't want to wait in line for the drive thru. I want to remind everyone that this situation is not Culver's fault. They just can't get enough employees who want to work. In fact, a few weeks ago, someone posted on this forum that they had heard a similar comment at Carrabba's. It may take awhile for both the unemployment payments to stop or for people to feel safe and comfortable going back to work. Especially if they have to wear a mask their entire shift.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Sad but unfortunately very true
Agree.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:44 PM

Can you say "stimulus".

Short staff all up the east coast. Get used to it. Free money. Why work?
Old 04-16-2021, 07:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Not sure where you folks got your information about this sudden shortage of staff being the result of a windfall of money. Most people who quit their jobs do NOT collect any unemployment at all. They're not eligible for it. You can't just up and walk out on a job and expect to get your unemployment claim approved. That's not how it works.

Culver's ALWAYS has lines going around the building during the typical dinner rush. They had those lines even when the dining room was open, before the pandemic shut-downs. I'm guessing that they are -currently- short-staffed, because of normal mundane issues. One person is out on maternity leave, another is sick, another got a better job somewhere else, and another moved and no longer lives close enough to keep working there, and it all happened in the same week.

Meanwhile, minimum wage will be going up to $10/hour in September. It's very likely that some people are choosing to -not- work for $8.65/hour, for the next few months.

And yes I'm sure there are at least a few people who are taking advantage of the unemployment funding boost. However - if they are caught lying about being available, actively seeking, and able to return to work, they not only get cut off, they risk having to pay back ALL the money that was given to them from the first day of their claim.

In addition, the money is only available until the expiration date. It's not likely they'll get another extension on the extra.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

MAYBE, just MAYBE some of the staff had to be quarantined. They are sort of young and probably haven't been Vaccinated yet.

The drive-thru is usually pretty fast. They are worth the wait in my opinion.

The entire area is experiencing a shortage of workers. Let's see if we get our lawn cut this season in the timeframe we're accustomed to.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Not sure where you folks got your information about this sudden shortage of staff being the result of a windfall of money. Most people who quit their jobs do NOT collect any unemployment at all. They're not eligible for it. You can't just up and walk out on a job and expect to get your unemployment claim approved. That's not how.
I know this first hand up north in northern NE. Folks have been verbal about making more staying home than working. It causes shortages in staff and repercussions in services.

I'm not making this up. I know. Seasonal folks are laid off not fired. They collect. No need to go back to work.

Free money! Woo Whoo!
Old 04-16-2021, 07:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdeb View Post
I know this first hand up north in northern NE. Folks have been verbal about making more staying home than working. It causes shortages in staff and repercussions in services.

I'm not making this up. I know. Seasonal folks are laid off not fired. They collect. No need to go back to work.

Free money! Woo Whoo!
Culvers employees are not seasonal employees. This is a thread about Culver's. They are not laid off for a season.

In fact, MOST people who work for a living, are NOT seasonal employees. MOST people who work for a living, do so all year round. And there are actual laws with regards to how ANYONE is allowed to collect unemployment compensation. It is regulated state-wide rather than federally. You know, that minimal government the conservative types love so much. Whether they are eligible or not for their state's unemployment compensation program is dependent on their state's criteria.

If you feel Florida's unemployment compensation is given out too generously, then take it up with the Florida government. They're the ones who make the rules around here.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Enforcement of the unemployment rule to be actively seeking work is virtually non-existent, and has been for more than 50 years. It's a joke. I remember, back in the 1960's, seasonal workers collected unemployment for six months every year even though it was technically illegal. And, the Government changed the rule about needing to be laid off to collect unemployment payments during COVID. You could quit your job and still collect unemployment. Also, whenever the Federal Government adds to or extends the normal state benefits, enforcement becomes even more lax. The states are reluctant to deny people Federal money.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Enforcement of the unemployment rule to be actively seeking work is virtually non-existent, and has been for more than 50 years. It's a joke. I remember, back in the 1960's, seasonal workers collected unemployment for six months every year even though it was technically illegal. And, the Government changed the rule about needing to be laid off to collect unemployment payments during COVID. You could quit your job and still collect unemployment. Also, whenever the Federal Government adds to or extends the normal state benefits, enforcement becomes even more lax. The states are reluctant to deny people Federal money.
110% correct! I dealt with this for 30 years, unemployment will side with the worker in a legitimate firing. Now you can stay on unemployment if you feel unsafe at your workplace.
Closed Thread

Tags
culvers-, closed, week, staff, pleasant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.