Culvers- No Help

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Not sure where you folks got your information about this sudden shortage of staff being the result of a windfall of money. Most people who quit their jobs do NOT collect any unemployment at all. They're not eligible for it. You can't just up and walk out on a job and expect to get your unemployment claim approved. That's not how it works.

Culver's ALWAYS has lines going around the building during the typical dinner rush. They had those lines even when the dining room was open, before the pandemic shut-downs. I'm guessing that they are -currently- short-staffed, because of normal mundane issues. One person is out on maternity leave, another is sick, another got a better job somewhere else, and another moved and no longer lives close enough to keep working there, and it all happened in the same week.

Meanwhile, minimum wage will be going up to $10/hour in September. It's very likely that some people are choosing to -not- work for $8.65/hour, for the next few months.

And yes I'm sure there are at least a few people who are taking advantage of the unemployment funding boost. However - if they are caught lying about being available, actively seeking, and able to return to work, they not only get cut off, they risk having to pay back ALL the money that was given to them from the first day of their claim.

In addition, the money is only available until the expiration date. It's not likely they'll get another extension on the extra.
I totally disagree. The problem is all over, not just at Culvers. Currently in Destin, FL and many of the restaurants are down to one shift for precisely that reason. Unemployment insurance. Some folks are sitting at home for more than they could possibly make in the service industry. Fast food is especially hurt. Talked to a manager and every place is suffering.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

They weren't suffering in December, when everything down here was opened up and everyone was enjoying their take-out, curbside pickup, and dine-in service. Stores had enough employees then, and - surprise surprise - there was an unemployment extension and boost then too.

What's different between December and now?

It's a rhetorical question. No need to answer.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:23 PM
Location: Newburgh NY, Berwick PA, Grand Forks ND, Tampa Fl, Wenatchee Wash, TN, OK, TX, NC, OH, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadeofdave View Post
110% correct! I dealt with this for 30 years, unemployment will side with the worker in a legitimate firing. Now you can stay on unemployment if you feel unsafe at your workplace.
True! I noticed how they feel unsafe at the work place but not when partying and such. People are hurting themselves by not working and gaining experience to make more money. Most small businesses are being hurt badly which could very well be the plan. Jobs are plentiful even jobs to start $15-$22 an hour. Some offering signing bonus.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Ruby Tuesday in SS which has had staffing problems was closed today.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

This is becoming a big problem, help wanted signs are basically at almost every store/restaurant no matter where you go. No one wants to work in the service/retail industry when you can make a similar amount sleeping late and not working. This is not going to end well, many employers are going to go out of business, and then the over generous unemployment benefits will eventually end. Then all the people taking a free ride won't have jobs to go back to. I had an appointment yesterday to get new tires on my truck, when I showed up they could not put on the new tires because they were short on help. All too common and not right.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:22 AM
Default Unemployment Compensation "pays more that a working person" made...!!

Each person who objects to lazy individuals scamming higher wages through unemployment compensation may benefit from researching guidelines.

e.g. How Much Will My Florida Unemployment Benefits Pay?
The weekly payment amount you receive during unemployment will vary from person to person. The only way to be sure of your benefit amount is to submit a claim.

The state determines your weekly benefit payments based on your previous earnings during employment. In 2020, you can receive a maximum of $275 per week for 12 weeks. You are entitled to a maximum benefit amount of $3,300.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:27 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Quote:
They weren't suffering in December, when everything down here was opened up and everyone was enjoying their take-out, curbside pickup, and dine-in service. Stores had enough employees then, and - surprise surprise - there was an unemployment extension and boost then too.

There is actually a lot different between December and now. A new stimulus package was passed in January and weekly payments started up again. If you recall the prior stimulus money had expired. So now folks can stay home and get unemployment plus stimulus money. I am retired so not sure if the amount is correct, but was told by 4 different folks they end up with $845 a week by not working. They can't make that much working so why work. And this will continue for 93 weeks from the date the stimulus was passed. Biggest impact is in the food service industry where folks were working for minimum wage and tips. .
Old 04-17-2021, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Not sure where you folks got your information about this sudden shortage of staff being the result of a windfall of money. Most people who quit their jobs do NOT collect any unemployment at all. They're not eligible for it. You can't just up and walk out on a job and expect to get your unemployment claim approved. That's not how it works.

Culver's ALWAYS has lines going around the building during the typical dinner rush. They had those lines even when the dining room was open, before the pandemic shut-downs. I'm guessing that they are -currently- short-staffed, because of normal mundane issues. One person is out on maternity leave, another is sick, another got a better job somewhere else, and another moved and no longer lives close enough to keep working there, and it all happened in the same week.

Meanwhile, minimum wage will be going up to $10/hour in September. It's very likely that some people are choosing to -not- work for $8.65/hour, for the next few months.

And yes I'm sure there are at least a few people who are taking advantage of the unemployment funding boost. However - if they are caught lying about being available, actively seeking, and able to return to work, they not only get cut off, they risk having to pay back ALL the money that was given to them from the first day of their claim.

In addition, the money is only available until the expiration date. It's not likely they'll get another extension on the extra.
Okay, let me take a moment to see the logic in your minimum wage comment: Don't work for $8.65 an hour, and wait until September for $10 per hour. That's $1.35 an hour difference time ZERO for the next four or more months. Conclusion: no logic. It's all about lack of work ethic and the VALUE of work in one's life.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:

It’s called losing seasonal people. Starts in April, not a big surprise, it been happening in TV as long as I have been coming in 07.
Two restaurants we frequent lost 1/3 of their staff for just that reason. Healthcare staff here is no different than restaurants, staff leaves to go north, and returning in the fall/winter. Hospitals post The seasonal help all the time. Add those who never returned, because they found employment elsewhere. In today’s climate, Finding reliable staff is going to be a challenge for many months

Last edited by asianthree; 04-17-2021 at 05:32 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:35 AM

I was in the Wendy’s on 441 for lunch yesterday. It was busy inside and most tables were taken. The drive through was moving smoothly at 1:00.
About 1:30 they locked the doors to the restaurant and wouldn’t allow anyone inside. Became drive through only.
They didn’t have enough staff to accommodate people.
The drive through line wrapped around the restaurant.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
The sign on the door said, short staffed use drive-thru ! My choice was Drive-off rather than get in a line that wraps around the building! What happened to this restaurant? The indoor seating has been closed all week! The staff was so pleasant and always so eager to make us happy! Do others feel the same? It will be along time before I return to Culvers!
A lot of the places can’t get help. The staff can make more money staying home and drawing unemployment.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:01 AM
Veteran member

A rash decision if you like the restaurant .
Old 04-17-2021, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Many are not returning to work due to stimulus and additional unemployment assistance. There are other benefits many are also receiving such as rent assistance. Not saying your reply is incorrect, many with the assistance they are receiving and not paying child are making more than if they are working. Several of our friends (also small business owners) have had major issues getting people to return to work. The unemployment system is most states is smothered with claims and doesn't have the staff to chase down alleged abusers. Many are stating they don't feel safe returning to work. I'm not sure anyone can blame them. Others will play the system. In the short of it many eateries are short staffed and probably will be for the foreseeable future.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:10 AM
Unhappy Covid problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
A rash decision if you like the restaurant .
I was told by an employee that many of the employees have Covid and therefore they have a lot of employees not working and therefore can only keep the drive thru open.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Sad but unfortunately very true
Oh thank you stu
Closed Thread

Tags
culvers-, closed, week, staff, pleasant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.