Darrell's Diner on 441

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2017, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Darrell's Diner on 441

If you like small portions of poorly prepared food, this is the place to go. The first thing I noticed on the menu was two-egg omelets. I had never seen anything less than three egg omelets before. I had two, very small scrambled eggs with cheese and smoked sausage. They asked if I wanted onions and cheese on my home fries for an extra dollar. I expected the onions to be cooked. My bad! I'm not sure what the cheese was but I expect that it came out of a pressurized can. The sausage was OK. My wife had waffles with blueberries and couldn't eat the frozen blueberries because of a chemical taste. The staff is very friendly and efficient except that if you ask for more hot tea, they will come and pour hot water into your half-empty mug. We have crossed it off our list.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:10 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,773 Times in 3,641 Posts

All Darrell's seem to be busy.

We found the portions small as well.
Service = good days, bad days.

We have gone a few times...........hoping for more size.

Just wondering from the Darrell lovers.........What keeps you coming back???

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:17 AM

My wife and I stop at Darrells on 301 every so often for Sunday brunch and have never had a bad meal or experience. For myself, I like the 2 egg dishes as it is one way I try to control my weight and we both have just water with the meal which keeps the bill under $20. We also like Billys and First Watch.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:24 AM
Platinum member

I ate at one of the DDs once. When I noticed how fast they were expanding I moved my entire investment portfolio into salt.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
If you like small portions of poorly prepared food, this is the place to go. The first thing I noticed on the menu was two-egg omelets. I had never seen anything less than three egg omelets before. I had two, very small scrambled eggs with cheese and smoked sausage. They asked if I wanted onions and cheese on my home fries for an extra dollar. I expected the onions to be cooked. My bad! I'm not sure what the cheese was but I expect that it came out of a pressurized can. The sausage was OK. My wife had waffles with blueberries and couldn't eat the frozen blueberries because of a chemical taste. The staff is very friendly and efficient except that if you ask for more hot tea, they will come and pour hot water into your half-empty mug. We have crossed it off our list.
I hardly ever eat three egg omelets. I simply don't eat as much as I used to. Want three? Go to Bob Evans or Johnny Rockets.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

Did you discuss it with the Manager?

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 10-30-2017, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Never get a three egg omlet either.....two is more than enough. I enjoy the casual atmosphere at Darells.....I can sit an read the paper, catch up on emails and never feel pressure to leave. The servers are friendly. Service is flexible depending on who is in the kitchen and how busy they are. Wait times are increasing as the seasonals arrive. My first choice is Rae Rae's second is KeKe's...both require cars. Darrels is an 8 minute cart ride so more convienent. For those that have a need for feed the portions at Darrell"s will not suffice.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-30-2017, 05:17 PM
Veteran member

I agree with Dr. Boogie 100%.
There is another thread somewhere regarding Darrell's.

When I went there the first (and only) time, I thought to myself, "What nerve calling this place a diner!"
Anyone who ever went to a real diner in the south Jersey or Philadelphia area knows what I mean.

Not only did I find the two-egg-anything small, but I swear they came out of a pullet, not a grown chicken.
The potatoes are obviously from frozen and looked and tasted like that.
The toast is the cheapest bread you can buy, regardless of the type; whole wheat, white -- they all taste the same.

Darrell's wins the prize for portion control.
No, we don't need gigundo portions, but one can at least get what one is paying for.

You can read a book, newspaper, etc. at McDonald's, too -- sit there as long as you like, and no one will bother you.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Been there my guess around 10 times Mrs and myself and a few times with friends..Never disappointed great staff and good cooked to order food.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:17 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

I'm just glad for those of you won't be back. More room for the rest of the world who doesn't find something to complain about everything.

Cheers.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:01 PM
Veteran member

want a great meal,go to Wolfy's!!!!! GREAT food,service and$$$$
Old 10-30-2017, 09:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
want a great meal,go to Wolfy's!!!!! GREAT food,service and$$$$
I've been to Wolfy's. It's Ok, nothing spectacular. About the same as IHOP and Perkins. I prefer Bob Evans.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:02 PM

My wife and I have never had a bad experience at Darrell's on 466A. We bring our dogs with us all the time
Old 10-30-2017, 09:04 PM
Veteran member

That may explain some things.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:55 PM

Always enjoy eating at Darrell's, no complaints!

Tags
cheese, omelets, onions, blueberries, hot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.