Darrell's Diner on 441

Closed Thread
Old 11-01-2017, 07:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Being from the South I was intrigued by all of the discussion of what constitutes a diner.
meaning - What is the difference between a cafe and a diner? - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange
After research I found out it is still up for debate.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:13 PM

I went to Darrell's once and never went back. It wasn't terrible, but not good enough to warrant a return visit. But each to their own.
--
Bob C
Old 11-01-2017, 02:53 PM
Veteran member

Went there for Lunch today. Wife had the patty melt and I had the fish sandwich. Both were very good and service was excellent. Did not have a problem.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:31 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9930 View Post
Went there for Lunch today. Wife had the patty melt and I had the fish sandwich. Both were very good and service was excellent. Did not have a problem.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:38 PM
Sage

Can't get over the fixation with breakfast in TV--its not like we all need to fuel up to get ready for working on the farm==a cup of coffee, some cereal and cranraisins & I'm good to go
Old 11-01-2017, 03:42 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Can't get over the fixation with breakfast in TV--its not like we all need to fuel up to get ready for working on the farm==a cup of coffee, some cereal and cranraisins & I'm good to go
I'm more fixated on a different morning process.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:41 PM
Sage

Fibre One works
Old 11-01-2017, 05:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Fibre One works
TMI IMHO
Old 11-01-2017, 05:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Maybe not you, but some prefer to eat more calories in the AM since they may be more active during the day. Eggs are a good source of protein, whole wheat toast and some sliced fruit offer carbs for energy and fiber for staying power.

Have eaten at DD’s a couple of times, enjoyed both times. Food wasn’t bad at all, the company I was with, made it even more enjoyable. Everyone responds differently to food, physically and emotionally. You like it or you don’t.

Last edited by pooh; 11-01-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:31 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Old 11-01-2017, 05:48 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
You actually believe people see food as fuel?
Old 11-01-2017, 08:29 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Breakfast powers my day, and I have no interest in childhood breakfasts like cereal.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
"McDonalds? Really?" What's that supposed to mean?
I said you can sit there as long as you want, etc., and mentioned nothing about their food.
That was in response to being able to sit, eat something and not be bothered about how long you sit there. Get it?

Most cities do not have diners; it's mostly a northeast thing.
So pray tell -- what is the difference in diners in Chicago or San Diego, since you brought it up???

I never had any expectation of what Darrell's food was going to be like, but went there thinking, "Ahhhh, a diner . . . ."
The truth of the matter is, regardless of what Darrell chooses to call his place, it is not a diner!

And by the way, I didn't offer judgement on anyone else's expectations.
Yeah, I agree. Never mind.
For me...McDonalds Breakfast is not a great, or even a good breakfast. It is adequate when you are in a hurry. I can sit and read all day at McDonalds but if I want a coffee refill I have to go get it so a comparison to DD on breakfast atmosphers isn't close.

There are diners now in most cities, maybe a chain in some but all based on the diner model we know in the nothwest. Aside from the more extensive menu in those diners the model was the same as Darrels or most others that use the name diner.

Now if you mean to be a diner it need to be made of stainless or aluminum on the outside, with windows or have that art deco look I agree that isn't DD. Aside from that it provides what Walter Scott started, basic and simple fast food fare.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-02-2017, 01:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
For me...McDonalds Breakfast is not a great, or even a good breakfast. It is adequate when you are in a hurry. I can sit and read all day at McDonalds but if I want a coffee refill I have to go get it so a comparison to DD on breakfast atmosphers isn't close.

There are diners now in most cities, maybe a chain in some but all based on the diner model we know in the nothwest. Aside from the more extensive menu in those diners the model was the same as Darrels or most others that use the name diner.

Now if you mean to be a diner it need to be made of stainless or aluminum on the outside, with windows or have that art deco look I agree that isn't DD. Aside from that it provides what Walter Scott started, basic and simple fast food fare.
Nowhere did I mention McDonald's as a place for breakfast. Read what I wrote again.
I cited McDonald's as a place to go where you can sit forever with a just a soda (as an example), reading, etc., and no one will bother you.
Incidentally, McDonald's now serves you and if you want more coffee, they will bring it to you.

Menus in "real" diners are far from what you get at Darrell's. Many of them are open 24 hours and they all serve breakfast. lunch and dinner; not so at Darrell's.

In addition, all diners do not have the stainless or aluminum exterior look. But what they do have is home cooking, incredible cakes, pies and other desserts, all of which are homemade, as are their soups and dinners.

Yes, Darrell's does offer simple fast food and that's about it.

Darrell's vs. a real diner? . . .
No comparison and locally, there are far better and nicer places to go for breakfast.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I do like SonRise Cafe.
Agree 100% The only place my wife and I go for breakfast.
Closed Thread

Tags
cheese, omelets, onions, blueberries, hot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.