Dining In a Restaurant

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
It seems to me that some individuals -- and countries -- operate under the Vulcan theory that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. They feel that a higher (but still relatively low, mind you) death rate is a tragic but necessary consequence in order to forestall an even more catastrophic economic collapse.
Michael Burry MD who was the subject of the movie "THE BIG SHORT" had an opinion on that very subject. He said.........

“Universal stay-at-home is the most devastating economic force in modern history,” Burry wrote in an email to Bloomberg News. “And it is man-made. It very suddenly reverses the gains of underprivileged groups, kills and creates drug addicts, beats and terrorizes women and children in violent now-jobless households, and more. It bleeds deep anguish and suicide.”

“I would lift stay-at-home orders except for known risk groups. We already know certain conditions that are predictive of severe disease. Especially since young healthy lungs tend to be resistant, I would let the virus circulate in the population that is not likely to get severe disease from it. This is the only path that comes close to balancing the needs of all groups. Vaccines are not coming anytime soon, so natural immunity is the only way out for now. Every day, every week in the current situation is ruining innumerable lives in a criminally unjust manner.”

"If COVID-19 testing were universal, the fatality rate would be less than 0.2%. This is no justification for sweeping government policies, lacking any and all nuance, that destroy the lives, jobs, and businesses of the other 99.8%."
Old 05-10-2020, 01:47 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

This week was Legends, Chop House and Havana.. Made early reservations for all three .. No waiting .. There certainly werent any lines of people aching to get in .. Everyone was in good spirits and obviously thankful for the patronage. Food and service were very good at all three. Anxious for the masks to come off, but all in good time ..
Old 05-13-2020, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts
Default About Gloves

Gloves carry germs just like our bare hands carry germs. Unless servers are constantly changing gloves in between serving customers, there is no advantage to wearing gloves. After removing gloves, the person should always wash their hands because there is a very high possibility, the person has no idea how to safely remove gloves without contaminating their hands. So.....why wear gloves when you must wash your hands every time the gloves are removed? No reason at all.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,710 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Gloves carry germs just like our bare hands carry germs. Unless servers are constantly changing gloves in between serving customers, there is no advantage to wearing gloves. After removing gloves, the person should always wash their hands because there is a very high possibility, the person has no idea how to safely remove gloves without contaminating their hands. So.....why wear gloves when you must wash your hands every time the gloves are removed? No reason at all.
Why? Because they create the illusion of safety.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Why? Because they create the illusion of safety.
Actually, wearing gloves can be more detrimental because people take them off thinking their hands are clean but inadvertently contaminate their hands. Then, they do not wash their hands because they think their hands are clean when they are not.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:17 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Back on topic...we went to Sams St John in Summerfield at 5pm yesterday - were the 3rd couple there. Approx half of the usual tables had been removed and the existing were ell spaced apart. Guests were sitting in every other booth to maintain distance, serving staff all masked and menus wiped before/after provided to guests. Condiments served in single-serve containers; salt and pepper served in paper packets. Saw table and chairs being wiped down as we went to pay the bill on the way out. Food was as expected - no change from previously. It's not gourmet but it is adequate and servings are good for the price...served really hot, too! The lack of a full dining room enabled the air conditioning to be at an acceptable level, too! Did not need my usual sweater! lol

Old 05-14-2020, 02:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Will continue to wait, for us the dining experience is not just the food, its ambiance , the chance to chat with other people, eat on a table with cloth napkins & a nice table setting

Till things improve , will still be eating @ home-

We're taking the same approach

We enjoy cooking....okay there's clean up involved, but working together it's no big deal...

and it's not like we're rushing to get down to the square
Old 05-21-2020, 09:37 AM
Veteran member

Went out 1st time yesterday. chilis they were fine. Every other table x off so spacing good. all staff wore masks and hand sanitizers in front to use upon entering and exiting.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:42 AM
Sage

I find that social distancing is not consistent and I'm trying to understand the CDC guidelines. Restaurants must keep tables separated by 6 feet yet parties of 8 or 10 are allowed to sit without masks, shoulder to shoulder and directly across from each other at the table. Those same people who were sitting without masks shoulder to shoulder in a restaurant must social distance in a grocery store and stay 6 feet apart, masks requested or in Costco, required.

Where is the consistency in these guidelines? I can understand why people are confused as to what is expected of them. The CDC has mandated no gatherings larger than 10 people but aren't those 10 people still supposed to distance themselves by 6 feet unless they live in the same household?

Why are the guidelines different for restaurants vs retail, grocery stores and pharmacies?

Last edited by coffeebean; 05-22-2020 at 05:54 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:44 AM

Lake sumpter the other night... one of the restaurants on a side street had people seated outside. The tables may have been 6 feet apart, but once the chairs were around it and people were sitting at different distances from the table, they appeared to be very close to one another. It was packed. I’ll save my dining out for somewhere where the food is excellent... not many around here that are good enough for me to take the risks.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,710 Times in 5,240 Posts

Here is an email I received from the Rose Plantation.

"As most of you are aware, the Governor has expanded the opening of restaurants to 50% of capacity. We are working on opening as soon as we are able, after we complete some remodeling items and increased safety protocals. Based on our various contractor projections, we think we can reopen in around 7 - 8 weeks. We will keep you informed and start taking reservations a week out from our actual reopening date.

Several items we are waiting for are portable hand washing sinks so everyone can wash their hands before entering the restaurant, as hand washing seems to be the best health care practice against COVID-19. In addition, we have ordered hospital type air purifiers for our HVAC equipment to filter air flow.

We appreciate your support through all of this and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Thank you,
The Rose Plantation"

Apparently, there is a huge difference of opinion among restaurants as to what precautions they need to take to make their businesses safe.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,045 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I find that social distancing is not consistent and I'm trying to understand the CDC guidelines. Restaurants must keep tables separated by 6 feet yet parties of 8 or 10 are allowed to sit without masks, shoulder to shoulder and directly across from each other at the table. Those same people who were sitting without masks shoulder to shoulder in a restaurant must social distance in a grocery store and stay 6 feet apart, masks requested or in Costco, required.

Where is the consistency in these guidelines? I can understand why people are confused as to what is expected of them. The CDC has mandated no gatherings larger than 10 people but aren't those 10 people still supposed to distance themselves by 6 feet unless they live in the same household?

Why are the guidelines different for restaurants vs retail, grocery stores and pharmacies?
Color us confused as well
Old 05-22-2020, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

For me it's a situational risk tolerance question. Do I believe ten people at the table have been taking personal responsibility and appropriate precautions thus reducing the risk. Especially since the infection rate around us is currently very low. If there is a localized spike, I'll not take this risk.

In a situation where the people are unknowns, such as groceries or the next table, the risk is higher.

People need to do what is comfortable for their situation.
Closed Thread

Tags
dining, wait, long, today, restaurant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.