Dining In a Restaurant

Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2020, 03:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,504 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Went to Gator's Dockside at Brownwood at 1:00 today. A couple with some young children went in just before us. The hostess asked if we wanted inside or out, it was very hot although two couples were sitting outside. We went inside because the TV's are one reasons for going there, the other was I hadn't had any wings in about a year and they have good wings. Oddly, without live sports to watch and no audio on the TV's, the sports channels are kind of boring.

We sat in front area and only the family were the only other diners for about 30 minutes, then a couple youger guys came in and an older couple. Our waitress, who waited on us a few times before, her and none of the employees had masks on. They gave us paper menus, but I basically asked if they had the wings lunch special and she said yes. Ten wings or six, we had six wings, fries and blue cheese for $7.99, and two diet Cokes. It was $22.50 and I gave her a $7.50 tip. I ordered a side of celery but as it turned out, their truck didn't come in, so no celery. We got regular boned wings with sweet BBQ sauce. They were excellent.

Overall, they had a barmaid, two waitresses, a hostess and a manger, more people than customers most of the time. The table was clear when we sat down, so they brought us a new ketchup, salt & pepper and a new roll of paper towels on a stand. We had regular silverware wrapped in a napkin.

Normal times at Gator's Dockside look like this

The Villages Florida
Going there for our anniversary dinner tonight. And SO looking forward to it. Inside or out, it'll be delish.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:21 PM

I guess it all comes down to . Who do you believe, The doctors or the Whitehouse. Personally, all of the doctors that I have talked to and the nurses agree that nothing has changed and I should use extreme caution when outside. They also said it is important to get some exercise. Going into a place to eat would be nice but that still does not fit "use extreme caution". So you know where I stand. Play golf yes, eat in a restaurant no. Take out is on the boarder line. So I will do that to support our stores taking a smaller risk.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
I guess it all comes down to . Who do you believe, The doctors or the Whitehouse. Personally, all of the doctors that I have talked to and the nurses agree that nothing has changed and I should use extreme caution when outside. They also said it is important to get some exercise. Going into a place to eat would be nice but that still does not fit "use extreme caution". So you know where I stand. Play golf yes, eat in a restaurant no. Take out is on the boarder line. So I will do that to support our stores taking a smaller risk.
And maybe it’s just me, but the the whole dining out ambience is ruined by servers wearing gloves, masks, and paper menus which get disposed of. I’ll hold off and continue making dinner at home.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
City Fire and Red Sauce are going to ruin it in a short amount of time ..First night open outdoor bars were packed like nothing ever happened
Please tell me this really did not happen. What is management thinking?
Old 05-05-2020, 04:59 PM
Sage

Can't fix stupid, the City Of Miami shut down south beach after one day
Old 05-05-2020, 05:45 PM

With so few tests actually done, it's impossible to know how many people are infected. If a state decides not to count deaths in nursing homes or people that don't actually live full time in Florida, the numbers will be skewed. If someone dies in your state, then it is a death in your state. I just wish our politicians would be honest with us. We can handle the truth.

QUOTE=thelegges;1758934]No one waiting while there or when I left. You have many that won’t come out of their house for months. As some have said you WILL get Covid if you go out, and give to everyone.

Then there are those if guidelines are in place, they will try to help boost the economy, because let’s face it 90% of TV doesn’t depend on a job to put food on their table.

So many have no healthcare, no job, no way to feed their children. Even Hospitals have laid off mass amounts of employees, leaving them with health insurance cost in the thousands per month.

Do I think I will die if I go out, NO, there are many issues that will kill me, but I am not in fear of playing golf, swimming, walking, running, or biking, or dining out. Everyone has to decide on what’s best for them. But no one should decide what others should do, or chastising them for it.

As I have said there are those who are disappointed our numbers were not higher, and if they do not climb after we start this new endeavor of phase one, will be even a greater disappointment that people didn’t add to the death toll.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-05-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
You have said it before and it still comes off as extremely cynical and divisive. You actually believe some people would prefer that thousands die just to prove themselves right? Wow.

It seems to me that some individuals -- and countries -- operate under the Vulcan theory that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. They feel that a higher (but still relatively low, mind you) death rate is a tragic but necessary consequence in order to forestall an even more catastrophic economic collapse.

The other side believes that saving as many lives as possible should be the highest priority.

So here we sit. The smooth vs chunky peanut butter factions aren't going to change each other's minds, either.
Excellent response
Old 05-05-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
Quote..........

Everyone has to decide on what’s best for them. But no one should decide what others should do, or chastising them for it.

As I have said there are those who are disappointed our numbers were not higher, and if they do not climb after we start this new endeavor of phase one, will be even a greater disappointment that people didn’t add to the death toll.

End Quote.......

So no one should chastise you for going out, but it’s ok to chastise those who chose not to, and think it’s ok to believe they are disappointed that more people have not lost their lives 😳.
You said “ As I have said there are those who are disappointed our numbers were not higher, and if they do not climb after we start this new endeavor of phase one, will be even a greater disappointment that people didn’t add to the death toll.”

I can’t imagine any rationale person believing this.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:12 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
We ate at Havana last night with a 7:15 reservations. Ate outside and observed that all recommended guidelines were being met. Service and food was excellent. Glad to leave a 40% tip.
Very nice to hear that 40% tip. I hope people that can afford it do the same so the servers can make some money to support their families.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,038 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
And maybe it’s just me, but the the whole dining out ambience is ruined by servers wearing gloves, masks, and paper menus which get disposed of. I’ll hold off and continue making dinner at home.
Totally agree with you, takeout for us but only places we can get in and out quickly like pizza or chinese
Old 05-05-2020, 06:55 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Went to legacy last night .. Made reservations for 530. Shared one of the side rooms with 2 or 3 couples .. all far away. After 2 months, it seemed like a special night out instead of a normal occurrence. Appetizer, main course, dessert and drinks ..We'll have to put up with the Lone Ranger masks for a while, but this too will pass. Seems like the staff was happy to see some patrons .. Food was great, as usual. No issues .. we'll be back
Old 05-05-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunalou View Post
Most restaurants are temperature checking all staff upon arrival
But, people don’t get a fever until they’ve been exposing people for a week or two. Checking temperatures doesn’t motivate me to go out one bit.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:18 AM
Sage

Will continue to wait, for us the dining experience is not just the food, its ambiance , the chance to chat with other people, eat on a table with cloth napkins & a nice table setting

Till things improve , will still be eating @ home-
Old 05-06-2020, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,504 Times in 3,104 Posts

Went to Gator's Dockside. Dined in. Most tables were closed with cleaning buckets on the seat to prevent anyone from sitting at them. There was only one other family seated in the dining room, 2 tables away. There were a few people at the bar area, also at a distance (a couple of "couples" were seated right beside their spouses/partners but I figure if they LIVE together it's a non-issue).

Some of the staff wore masks. Others didn't. I asked our server, she said it was optional but recommended. She has a mask, but it's uncomfortable so she chose instead to maintain a distance. Not 6 feet, but I've never felt anyone should feel the need to get out the yardstick. It was closer to 4 feet, and that was comfortable enough for us.

Paper menus, which bugs me just on principal. I really REALLY wish they'd just use insertable binder sheets and wiped off the outer surface with sanitizer between customers, instead of throwing away all that paper after the first use.

Service was excellent, server was awesome, food was terrific as usual, and she gave us a scoop of ice cream with chocolate sauce to wish us a happy anniversary. We were her first customer since she returned to work so we helped HER celebrate with a 48% tip.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
But, people don’t get a fever until they’ve been exposing people for a week or two. Checking temperatures doesn’t motivate me to go out one bit.
Some people do not ever develop a fever. Those are the people who are asymptomatic carriers of the virus.

Tags
dining, wait, long, today, restaurant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.