Do we have Ocean-friendly restaurants in the Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2018, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Unhappy

It has a happy ending.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:23 PM
Veteran member

Since the OP didn't answer the question, I'll assume that the original post was only intended to drag up the greenie debate for the 2nd or 3rd time this week.

Last edited by spring_chicken; 12-17-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:58 PM

And let’s not forget about all the golfers hitting plastic balls into all of the ponds, when will it stop, please do it for the children 😂
Old 12-16-2018, 11:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

Not really sure what this thread is even about? I am about the biggest lover of the ocean you will ever find. Scuba dive, deep sea fish, swim daily, and eat a very dominant seafood diet. My friends tell me that I should have been born a fish instead of a human? How does the OP blame the restaurants in the Villages for not being Ocean friendly? The restaurants in the Villages are about 1 1/2 hour form either coast of Florida and there are very few that even serve seafood (at least decent seafood). Is this another plastic straw rant?
Old 12-17-2018, 04:25 AM
Default Ocean Friendly Restaurants

What you can do as a consumer is to copy down the requirements for an Ocean Friendly Restaurant, and then ask your waiter if the restaurant complies with any of the criteria. Tell them you want to support places of business who care about the environment. For yourself, do not take straws or to-go boxes. Bring your own container to restaurants for left over food. Never use a plastic water bottle. Don't ask for water at a restaurant and then not drink it. Look for ways to reduce waste. There are hundreds of things you as an individual and a person can do. The biggest thing would be to quit using pesticides on your lawn and replace turf with groundcover and plants which are native to FLorida.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Not really sure what this thread is even about? I am about the biggest lover of the ocean you will ever find. Scuba dive, deep sea fish, swim daily, and eat a very dominant seafood diet. My friends tell me that I should have been born a fish instead of a human? How does the OP blame the restaurants in the Villages for not being Ocean friendly? The restaurants in the Villages are about 1 1/2 hour form either coast of Florida and there are very few that even serve seafood (at least decent seafood). Is this another plastic straw rant?
Not ranting, just suggesting that it's time for everyone, including restaurants to limit the use of plastic. Hope you watched 60 minutes last night, summarizes my concerns for what we are passing on to our children. You've got to start somewhere, EVEN if it starts with a straw!
Old 12-17-2018, 07:45 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default But then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Good one, you get 5 points for that one, giggle! Just wondering about plastic found on our shores.
Would love return to bio-degradables again!
they'll be whining about killing trees and decimating forests...

Don't want places like california and St. Pete.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:18 AM
Veteran member

When I was down at one of Mexico 's most beautiful beaches, near a very expensive resort, my wife and I walked a stretch of vacant beach. The entire shore of the beach was littered with all sorts of waste. Medical, garbage etc. When I mentioned this to our hotel manager, he told me to stay away form that beach. He said the waste comes from cruise ships. They pay Mexicans in boats to cart the garbage away for them when they are near the area, but instead the garbage is thrown into the sea by the carters. The locals don't give a s--- about their own country or ocean pollution. I don't blame the cruise lines.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-21-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:44 AM

The problem with avoiding the use of straws is that the glasses may not be entirely clean. The straw allow you to drink your drink without your lips touching a possibly dirty glass.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Keep in mind that, as with CO2 emissions, most of the ocean trash we see comes from other countries.
Come on! The US took its trash out in barges and dumped it in the ocean. America is light years behind most of the western world in recycling and polution. Just above the third world countries who know no better.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Keep in mind that, as with CO2 emissions, most of the ocean trash we see comes from other countries.
Could you please supply some substantial, factual backup for your claim ? Thanks.

"The largest source of greenhouse gas emissions from human activities in the United States is from burning fossil fuels for electricity, heat, and transportation."

Sources of Greenhouse Gas Emissions | Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions | US EPA
Old 12-17-2018, 10:43 AM
Email Reported As Spam

We will probably quit cruising. OK the cruise ship comes into port, 6 semi trucks come in and unload all of it. Then when the ship returns, nothing is taken off, nothing, no trash, guess where all the tons of stuff went? On the Fukushima Nuclear plant explosion on the Japanese coast, where do the millions of tons of radioactive trash and water go? Guess.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawnwy123 View Post
We will probably quit cruising. OK the cruise ship comes into port, 6 semi trucks come in and unload all of it. Then when the ship returns, nothing is taken off, nothing, no trash, guess where all the tons of stuff went? On the Fukushima Nuclear plant explosion on the Japanese coast, where do the millions of tons of radioactive trash and water go? Guess.
Returned to Port Canaveral last Friday morning and witnessed several compressed bundles of trash being off-loaded by Royal Caribbean.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane reynolds View Post
What you can do as a consumer is to copy down the requirements for an Ocean Friendly Restaurant, and then ask your waiter if the restaurant complies with any of the criteria. Tell them you want to support places of business who care about the environment. For yourself, do not take straws or to-go boxes. Bring your own container to restaurants for left over food. Never use a plastic water bottle. Don't ask for water at a restaurant and then not drink it. Look for ways to reduce waste. There are hundreds of things you as an individual and a person can do. The biggest thing would be to quit using pesticides on your lawn and replace turf with groundcover and plants which are native to FLorida.
Good luck!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
abuse, ocean, courage, locally, pictures

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.