Do you mind waiting to get into a restaurant?

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Founder
Default Do you mind waiting to get into a restaurant?

One of the things that I have a difficult time adjusting to here in Florida is not being able to make reservations at many of the restaurants. Waiting up to an hour to be seated is not something that I am ready to do. Of course it is specially bad in the winter.

I may be alone on this feeling, but am curious if other do not mind the wait. If not, what do you do while standing around for an hour. I happen not to drink alcohol, so the bar holds no attraction for me.

Aside from Bella Luna, which restaurants take reservations?
Old 04-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Administrator
Default Re: Do you mind waiting to get into a restaurant?

I mind a whole lot about waiting at a restaurant that won't take reservations. If the restaurant doesn't take reservations, the owners are telling me what they think about me and my business: I don't matter to them.

It is their way of attempting to force me to spend money at the bar. I am not opposed to drinking, but I don't always drink. Their not take reservations is a not-so-subtle way of extracting money from me for something I don't want, and they think I am too stupid to realize that.

If they don't take reservations, I don't wait. Ever.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:25 PM

What is the big deal with waiting? Are you in that big of a hurry. Is your life that important, that you cannot wait to enjoy a meal. If that is the case, then maybe you should try staying home and cooking dinner, instead of going out to eat all the time. All everyone does around the Villages is go out to eat and shop. does noone enjoy a nice quiet evening at home anymore?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:02 PM

Whoa up there Snowbird..

There are lots of people in the Villages that don't go out to eat all the time. Budgets have a lot to do with whether one can go out all the time. MIne happens to be on the low budget side. We enjoy homecooked meals most of the time, going out only occassionaly.

When I do go out..the line does dissuade me at times. I usually will opt for another place to eat rather than wait in line. If we have company, or go out with friends who are partial to a particular place, then we just stand around and chat. Thankfully that hasn't happened when it is pouring rain.

So, in a large nutshell, sometimes I wait and sometimes I don't. I will never wait more than 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour. There are too many places to choose from to wait more than that.

A lot of people that don't like to wait in line wait for May-October to eat out more. Let the winter people crowd the places. During May-October most places you can walk into at any time and be seated immediately.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:34 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbirdgator
What is the big deal with waiting? Are you in that big of a hurry. Is your life that important, that you cannot wait to enjoy a meal. If that is the case, then maybe you should try staying home and cooking dinner, instead of going out to eat all the time. All everyone does around the Villages is go out to eat and shop. does noone enjoy a nice quiet evening at home anymore?
It is nice to see that you have so little to occupy your time that you can waste any hour that you wish standing around outside a restaurant. Yes, my life is so important that I do not want to waste one hour of it twiddling my thumb. Unlike you, I do have important things to do.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:33 AM

It's too bad people cannot reply to these postings without sounding so hostile.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:17 PM

Too bad people can't reply with a real answer.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

So, if there was a new restaurant that took reservations, would all of you go there if they had good food? What type of restaurant should it be, Italian, Burgers, Pizza Place, etc..
I am really interested in your opinions..
Donna :

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 04-16-2007, 07:40 PM

I won't wait more than 30 minutes and won't often wait that long.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:06 AM

I would not wait, period. I understand the difficulty in maintaining a reservation system however. Much more time and money not put into food or profit.

Money will do the talking and if people want the food that much, they will wait.

I cannot stand for more than about 15 minutes due to back pain. Few places have enough seats. I dont want a drink, so the bar is out. So as another poster has said, I arrange my meals for the less busy times.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:14 PM

The other reason some of us don't like to wait is that many still work - myself included - about 30 hrs. week; and I find my time off too prescious. I guess if I didn't work it wouldn't bother me near as much as it does, but probably still would not wait more than 30 min.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:57 PM

As the saying goes: "Time waits for no man" and I really don't like waiting over 15 minutes at a restaurant.
The older you get, the less time you have to git-er-done, so why waste it? ;D
Old 04-19-2007, 07:15 AM

Well, we don't mind waiting. And waiting is NOT a waste of time, we put it to good use. If we're with friends, we use it to socialize, if we're alone, we talk to each other, or make new friendes, watch the sunset, walk around, etc. etc. etc. Of course, we dont' go out more than once or twice a week, our waist-lines don't permit it !!

Mark
Old 04-19-2007, 12:00 PM

Yes, we do mind being told the wait time is 45 minutes. Then when you finally get a table I feel rushed to eat fast and run. We don't wait. I don't enjoy that type of dining. > Best time to get a seat is when it is raining. In the winter we eat at home most of the time. My husband tells me I am a better cook. Wow! does that tell you something. Well, I can handle the cooking and serving for a crowd of 100. We have way too many fast food chains here in the Villages. :
Old 09-04-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host
One of the things that I have a difficult time adjusting to here in Florida is not being able to make reservations at many of the restaurants. Waiting up to an hour to be seated is not something that I am ready to do. Of course it is specially bad in the winter.

I may be alone on this feeling, but am curious if other do not mind the wait. If not, what do you do while standing around for an hour. I happen not to drink alcohol, so the bar holds no attraction for me.

Aside from Bella Luna, which restaurants take reservations?
YOU CAN CALL AHEAD AT THE OUTBACK AND CARRABA'S

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.