Do you mind waiting to get into a restaurant?

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Default Re: Do you mind waiting to get into a restaurant?

i generally only wait if it's conducive to socializing with my meal companions or other patrons, people watching or listening to music on the square.
in the villages there is almost always another restaurant around the corner. so if A has a line i'll go to B and try A Another day - time.
that said,
having always lived in densely populated areas, i've never seen a line or crowd in the villages that compares to many in boston or new york.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Platinum member

Being retired military - kinda used to waiting. I don't mind because I'm with enjoyable company. I don't drink either but will ask my wife or friends if they want to go to the bar. Time to socialize. After 911 I've got a whole different outlook. Savor the moment.
Steve
Old 09-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Sage

Steve - Savor the moment. Chill out. We met wonderful people on our Preview waiting in restaurants and had great conversations with them. My days of hurrying are past. Yes, Talk Host, my time is also important to me, but I feel meeting new people is always a good use of my time. ;D
Old 09-11-2007, 06:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Well said bare.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Banned

For me, a restaurant outing is more about the company than the food - no matter what kind of rave reviews the restaurant gets or how wonderful the chef thinks s/he is.

That being said, I can't fault a place for long lines - if their business is that good that they can't keep up with demand, well I just wish I had stock in the place.

However, I'm not one who enjoys $6-10 drinks at the bar, and really have had my fill of sitting on pine waiting my turn for something to happen. That includes everything from straining to hear if my name is called (like I'm some lucky lottery winner) or whether the beeper they give me starts to vibrate. If the place cannot take me right away (or pretty close to it) then I'll remember that the next time I go there (went at the wrong time of day) and for now will take my business elsewhere. There's a lot of places in-and-out of TV which serve food.

A long time ago I remember hearing the line, "Life's too short to dance with ugly women." That line can be modified many ways, and the end-line centers on "too short" I'm not mad when a place is too busy to take my business - I just modify what I do accordingly. I've been known to change sit-down dinner plans for something else. Again, the company I'm with is the important part of the outing, not what culinary delight ends up in the stomach.

The Villages are neat, in that if you are flexible and fun-loving, then there are options available. I can picture the time will come when I'll be at Lake Sumter Landing and not get seated at one of the restaurants during high snowbird time. So, the option may then become a plastic-cup marguarita and a hot dog while I have a dance with my spouse to the music in the square. I can't see anything like that as "less" and in many ways it qualifies as a "more."

Again, "Life's too short....."
Old 10-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Veteran member

Well put Steve..............what's the hurry???? relax, dance, laugh and enjoy the few years we have left. I'm still looking down not up at the grass and loving every minute of it. Jan, try people watching or just laughing and dancing at the square while waiting. Who said you have to drink, I don't. ;D
Old 10-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Veteran member

I don't mind waiting, as long as I don't have to be at another place shortly (like an appointment or a movie). How long I'll wait depends on how good the food is, and the companion(s) I'm with.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Platinum member

We do mind waiting. We used to enjoy an alcoholic drink during the waits. Now we no longer drink alcohol, so the waits get rather tedious. We try to go early to avoid the waiting. Rather dull watching other people drink. Of course, the restaurants make money this way.
Tampa, FL
Old 10-10-2007, 05:00 PM

Yogi Berra said it best "nobody goes there anymore because it's always too crowded". If the foods good and the drinks big, it's worth the wait.
South Amboy, NJ
St. Louis, MO
St. Charles, MO
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

"What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about"?
Old 10-17-2007, 02:21 PM

I understand the problem about busy restaurants during the winter when many of us part time visitors are in TV ...however there is a very easy way of easing some of the congestion ...and it's not rocket science !!! just open longer in the evenings !!! Is this far too hard !!! Many people don't mind eating late !! It happens all over the world !! Most restaurants in France/Italy/Spain/UK won't even open til 7pm ...most restaurants in Florida are putting the chairs on the tables at 9pm.

So !! Florida restaurants double your snowbird winter takings ...bring in a 3 or 4 sittings system 4pm-6pm 6pm-8pm 8pm-10pm 10pm-midnight...Take reservations with a non-refundable visa card payment and watch the lines disapear.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.