Any Vegans out there? Any tips for eating out.

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Default Any Vegans out there? Any tips for eating out.

Due to my husbands heart condition, we have recently become Vegans at the urging of our cardiologist. I like to cook so eating at home, while a challenge, has been going well. But - come on - occasionally, a girl wants to go out for dinner. There doesn't seem to be a lot of choice in (or near) The Villages, so I'm looking for suggestions.

We've ordered the rice, steamed vegetables and a salad at Evans Prairie, and I hear the Mexican Restaurant at Colony Plaza has a vegetarian fajita. We just had a FABULOUS meal at Vitality Bistro in Mt Dora. The Heirloom Lasagna was out of this world - one of the best meals I've had since moving to FL (and that includes all the non-Vegan meals I've had!)

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 04-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Default Vegan

[QUOTE=CharTalk;663416]Due to my husbands heart condition, we have recently become Vegans at the urging of our cardiologist. I like to cook so eating at home, while a challenge, has been going well. But - come on - occasionally, a girl wants to go out for dinner. There doesn't seem to be a lot of choice in (or near) The Villages, so I'm looking for suggestions.

We are in the same situation, but we only come down to our retirement home part time as we both are still working until we are able to retire. The two restarants I have found are Thia Ruby's, it has some Tofu dishes that is good and TJ's also has a few dishes including a black bean burger, A porta bella mushroom burger. Both restaurants are in lake Sumter. I am still looking for others. So far being a Vegan in the villages is a little bit more work to eat out. I am also thinking of riding up to Ocala as they had a lot of restarants on the square when I was last up there before the doctor said I need to go vegan.

Village of Duval
Old 04-20-2013, 11:04 PM
Platinum member

Finding something for a vegan is not as difficult as finding something not loaded with sodium!
Old 04-21-2013, 07:46 AM
Sage

Always ask in a Mexican restaurant if they use lard to fry with, if the rice has a chicken based broth. Learned this while dining out with my daughter. It is a challenge to find a good place to eat especially when travelling on a highway - you can only eat so much salad!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharTalk View Post
Due to my husbands heart condition, we have recently become Vegans at the urging of our cardiologist. There doesn't seem to be a lot of choice in (or near) The Villages, so I'm looking for suggestions.
Quick, someone wake up Jimbo.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:21 AM
Veteran member

Bamboo Bistro has been recommended on a previous thread.

Bamboo Bistro
Old 04-21-2013, 08:34 AM
Sage

I don't know if this applies to your husband but diabetics are urged to only eat half of their meal as restaurants give you enough for two people at a sitting. Preferably, one gets a doggie bag as the start of the meal and takes half of the dinner off.

I hope this helps.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Quick, someone wake up Jimbo.

Funny Barefoot! Sorry Jimbo, I couldn't resist....
Old 04-21-2013, 10:08 AM

Bamboo Bistro has some. Koyame will cook vegan for you. There are a few away from TV. Armit Palace Indian Restaurant in Ocala. Le Bistro De Vie in Eustis, and a couple in Mt. Dora.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Platinum member

When my vegetarian (not vegan) son-in-law is here, he especially likes his choices at Thai Ruby. But, we've never had difficulty anywhere else.

I understand that a Vegan may well have a harder time of it!

SWR
Old 04-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I didn't reply right away because I thought someone would of mentioned Sweet Tomatoes in the first couple of posts.

The Villages Florida

They are a chain out of San Diego. The Villages location is on Hwy 27/441 in front the shopping center where Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond and Kohl's is located. It's in the strip center out front next to the Leather Gallery.

When you enter, you get a tray like a cafeteria and work your way down the salad line. Once you're seated, you get your own food. Drinks, soups (pretty good chili) rolls, baked potatoes, pizza, soft ice cream, good macaroni. I get filled up and don't really eat an entree, just a bunch of different things.

Two people at lunch with drinks is about $25, it went up about $5 in the two years I've lived here, but if you go after 2pm and you're a senior, it's only $20 including drinks. Also, you can sign up at their website and they email coupons every week.

Souplantation & Sweet Tomatoes : Family Friendly Salad Bar & Buffet

The place can get really crowded, no seats anywhere at certain times. Don't go for lunch at noon, try and get there a little sooner. Once it's 12:00, then you might as well wait for the 2:00 special since it stays busy until about 1:30. However, at 2:00 it's no piece of cake, the line will stretch out the door. I've never been there for dinner, but prices go up about 4pm.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Sage

OK OK I just limped in......

Vegan simple the two best are Bamboo Bistro the owner is right there they will make anything you like the menu has about 20 vegan items, the use no oil in their cooking veggie sushi also, great place good service. $9 +

In no particular order Thai Ruby, May is the owner they are also great and have complete knowledge of every item in every dish, also a macrobiotics menu. $10 +

Sweet Tomato 2-5 M-T $6.99 w/drink other times $9.99

Moe's $5 mondays w/ drink $8 other times

Ruby Tuesday salad and steam veggies baked potato

Golden Coral

Outback

Panarra a few items to made for you.

Subway

Koyame, said it was cooked a certain way we asked for but we both didn't trust them due to constant mis-understanding of what all in our party were asking for. The atmosphere left a lot to be desired, won't be back.

A few others Chrispers, evans prairie and City fire a few items, ask the manager for sure.

Still on the lookout for others

Last edited by jimbo2012; 04-21-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:16 PM

Perhaps joining the Vegan Club of T.V. will give you plenty of suggestions plus others to share ideas with. Good Luck!

After a lifetime of adventures, the adventure of a lifetime.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

While I am not a vegetarian, I often enjoy eating "lower on the food chain". I just love the way Indian restaurants do veggies and such, so I often go to Urban Curry.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Sage

Barry where is Urban Curry

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.