Dog in Ricciardi's

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2017, 11:50 AM
Gold member

So can a concerned customer call the police/sheriff and request they come and verify the authenticity of the service animal? Will they/can they question the owner more thoroughly than the restaurant owner is allowed?

Can you pet a service dog? I have always had the impression you should leave them alone, they are working. So ask the owner if you can pet the dog, if they say yes you have a big clue.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyBoy View Post
So can a concerned customer call the police/sheriff and request they come and verify the authenticity of the service animal? Will they/can they question the owner more thoroughly than the restaurant owner is allowed?

Can you pet a service dog? I have always had the impression you should leave them alone, they are working. So ask the owner if you can pet the dog, if they say yes you have a big clue.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	zoolinguist.PNG
Views:	144
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	70577  
Old 07-28-2017, 12:39 PM
Gold member

From the ADA website Q and A section:

Q31: Are stores required to allow service animals to be placed in a shopping cart?

A: Generally, the dog must stay on the floor, or the person must carry the dog. For example, if a person with diabetes has a glucose alert dog, he may carry the dog in a chest pack so it can be close to his face to allow the dog to smell his breath to alert him of a change in glucose levels.

Q32: Are restaurants, bars, and other places that serve food or drink required to allow service animals to be seated on chairs or allow the animal to be fed at the table?

A: No. Seating, food, and drink are provided for customer use only. The ADA gives a person with a disability the right to be accompanied by his or her service animal, but covered entities are not required to allow an animal to sit or be fed at the table.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:43 PM
Sage

if the dog eats @ a table "PHONY"
Old 07-28-2017, 12:54 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Yeah, so......but when he hits on the cute poodle on the barstool next to him, is he at least gentlemanly about that?
Mostly but he hasn't caught on that female German Shepperds can be aggressive!
Old 07-28-2017, 05:18 PM
Gold member

I'd rather have a dog in a baby stroller than a screamin' kid next to me in a baby stroller in a restaurant.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:04 AM

Great responses Bonny. Love your attitude !!!
Old 07-29-2017, 08:08 AM

Great attitude and sense of humor
Old 07-29-2017, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[QUOTE=BogeyBoy;1429359]So can a concerned customer call the police/sheriff and request they come and verify the authenticity of the service animal? QUOTE]

You can. Or you can get up and leave if you do not wish to eat there. You can pay for your meal or try to walk away from the check as a protest. This may cause the cops to come...OR you can call the police. You can protest to the waiter, to the manager, to the dog owner or to the dog. You can decide to not eat there again. You can ignore the pooch and continue eating and order another drink. You can talk loudly about dogs in a restaurant.

There are lots of possibilities.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:24 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyBoy View Post
BogeyBoy, why don't you call the Sheriff non-emergency number and ask if they would respond to such a call from a restaurant patron?

Report back to this forum exactly what they tell you.

Thanks.

Personally, if the dog was on the floor and behaving itself, I would take Gracie's advice and order another drink. But that's me.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:38 AM
Default Service animal

I don't expect you would see this dog in a carriage.c83dcfdb-2d6c-419d-ac3c-a8a690682608-945-000000a00e891bce-jpeg
Old 07-30-2017, 07:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I would find it odd to see a dog in a stroller eating at a restaurant but would it really bother me? No! Would I think the patron who brought the dog was a little strange and presumptuous? Yes.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:48 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts
Default Service dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsroni View Post
The presence of the animal, in many cases, is therapeutic. NOBODY has the right to ask WHAT IS YOUR DISABILITY. It is, in fact, not your business to the original poster. My God. With all of the criminal activity in the WH, why is anyone devoting the energy to this topic?
Let sleeping dogs lie. They may be working. Here's hoping YOU never need one.
Just because you have a disability doesn't mean you have a true Service Dog. What a number of residents have observed is that there is no way (in many cases) to determine if the dog is a trained Service Dog. This privilege is for owners that have TRAINED SERVICE DOGS. The County or municipality should issue a service dog tag when the owner can provide proof of the dog being trained for the service it's providing. This could be issued along with the rabies tag. The restaurant manager many times is caught in the middle. Sometimes there are health concerns and that makes it everybody's business.

Tags
dog, animals, disability, vests, registration

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.