Don't people realize the damage when they criticize a restaurant?

Closed Thread
Old 11-09-2020, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Restaurants that serve poor food, have bad service and insanitary conditions should be damaged by reviews. They should either clean up their act or go out of business.

This is the same for all businesses.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:48 PM
Veteran member

The only time I have ever called corporate on a restaurant is when I walked into a popular chain restaurant and saw trash and pieces of food (like half eaten chicken nuggets) all over the floor. Balled up napkins were literally rolling across the floor as the understaffed servers scurried from the tables to the kitchen.

I suppose I could have asked to speak to the person in charge but that seemed to be pretty pointless given what I was seeing in the main part of the restaurant. Can you imagine what the kitchen looked like?

It seemed that in that case a call to corporate was in order. Let them handle it. Better to call corporate than have the health department shut down a usually well run place.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:18 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We always tip 20% even if the waitress is not good.

If we don't like the restaurant we don't holler and bellow and carry on publicly. We just don't go back.

We notice that big complainers are not those who would make it in competitive employment. They probably have tenure somewhere or work for the government.

If the restaurant is not good, it will close. That is how it works. You don't need to have a green fit or a bad spell. It is wise to point out when there are foreign objects in your food or that your shoes stick to the floor, but do it quietly to the manager and don't act like you are expecting a free meal or a comp.

A restaurant review is someone’s opinion/experience. I appreciate posters taking the time to opine—good or bad. It’s my decision what action to take. I don’t throw money around and choose carefully how I spend it. I like to read honest reviews. No one is forced to.

As a former government employee, I take issue with the harsh words and fail to see the analogy drawn. Hmm.

I’m far more interested in someone’s review than in knowing how they tip. Did that belong in another thread?
Old 11-09-2020, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,949 Times in 1,705 Posts

I believe when it comes to business, your reputation is your single most valuable asset. Just look at eBay.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:15 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

If you have had a bad experience with a restaurant or a contractor, you have every right to put it into a blog. Same as if you had a good one. Much like google or yelp reviews, if in general the service provides was overwhelmingly good, that negative review would be insignificant and fall into the minority. If you;re a newcomer, wouldnt you like to be told about Good neighbor (formerly Service Smart ?) I would.. No difference with a restaurant. Most people that give negative reviews drone on about the issues encountered. I generally discount pizza and Italian food reviews, or consistent complaints about pricing or short pours (CHATBRAT where are you ?). But I'd rather hear opinions and then make my own decision. But if I decide not to go back to a restaurant, I'll only give one review. others can pile on after every experience
Old 02-14-2021, 07:42 AM
Veteran member

I remember about 5 years ago being at a California restaurant and the wait staff and manager were discussing a bad Yelp review, while I am sure one review will not hurt the restaurant, it actually helped them understand what they were doing better and what they were not doing better. This is a place with probably a one or two million dollar capital investment in the building. My point is not whether it's an expensive place or not but that other people are definitely entitled to know what's going on before you spend your money. After all if you're going to put in a $20,000 kitchen you want to make sure the contractor is a good contractor maybe he screws up one time but the fact is we all do and I'm sure there would be 20 good reviews otherwise. When I travel extensively and eat out I always look at the reviews and I know that two or three bad reviews will not make my decision but when it's every other review I'll skip a place and go where there's mostly four and five star reviews because I don't need to have a bad stomach in the next morning or bad experience spending my money whether it's $10 at a fast food place or $100 at a steakhouse. And by the way is a certain dunkin' donuts on 44 with 100% bad reviews of their employees that I'm never going to most of the time that's because there's no management in house
Old 02-14-2021, 07:45 AM
Veteran member

Gratuities are mandatory in many European countries. Just the opposite in Asia and interestingly enough if you go to Japan you will find some of the best service anywhere whether it's a restaurant server or a bell captain carrying your luggage up to your room it all depends and what is being instilled by the businesses and the culture of the country. Unfortunately in the US it's laissez-faire who gives a damn. However that said I am going to many upscale restaurants where you can tell the service have been well trained and give you service.. you can also go to a great little restaurant family owned like Stavros on 441 / 27 and find all of the servers more than willing to help you whether it's not quote on quote their table. Now that's a good well-run restaurant packed on Fridays and reasonably priced
Old 02-14-2021, 07:47 AM
Veteran member

And I have to admit there's a lot of cheap people that live in Central Florida that are seniors. Ladies just tip 15% each minimum and rounded up to the next dollar. I have a men's breakfast group and none of us give less than two to three dollars for a tip for breakfast. Remember the servers are either your neighbors or someone's daughter or son trying to make a living
Closed Thread

Tags
people, post, restaurant, put, mask

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.