Don't people realize the damage when they criticize a restaurant?

Closed Thread
Old 11-02-2020, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,737 Posts

I read reviews before I go to a restaurant and I appreciate them. If one person complains it doesn’t mean much but if two or more say similar things then that means something.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:28 AM
Platinum member
Default complaints

I do believe a customer has a right ot give a bad review if that is what the business warrants. I also learned to take into consideration that this customer is giving a bad review on their own experience. I would not quit going based on one review. It is like all the ratings online you see for a product and the stars from one to five. You have to balance out the good with the bad and see what the bad ones are based on and the numblers.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
I love it when some people complain about the food then screw the waitress or waiter out of the tip like it was their fault. Just an excuse to be cheap. When my granddaughter was in college, she worked as a waitress in NY when she was home. She made $19,000 working during her breaks and summer. She was lucky. She worked in a very popular restaurant on LI. Thank god for the tippers.

See qualified to be movie star Hollywood full fo of ex waiters and waitresses.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

It helps me when we know the people on here doing the review.

Some people can never be satisfied.
Old 11-03-2020, 05:51 AM

If a restaurant wants to get through this then they should be pretty focuses on service ... the manager should make sure that the servers are all masked ... period. Masks prevent the spread of the virus. Wearing one is part of the service industry. Any restaurant with unmasked waiters ... its their choice .... and the customers have a responsibility to inform all others. My opinion.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garwood1 View Post
I find the people who complain the most never dealt with public in a customer environment , I can personally say after 45 years in the grocery business as a manager that the public can be the most rude people alive if they’ve never worked in those conditions, I have had associates threatened, I’ve been cursed more times than I can count and posting negative comments is the typical keyboard courage so imho take the time to personally speak to a manager or the owner and do it like a standup person instead of laying your wrath on an entire staff because they all aren’t the same
Amen, there is plenty who love to sit pompously behind their computers and scold those that they have had just a brief moment of their life spent with, then try and ruin it...it’s pathetic and it’s becoming rampant...some love to feed off the negativity!
Old 11-03-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcooper70 View Post
If a restaurant wants to get through this then they should be pretty focuses on service ... the manager should make sure that the servers are all masked ... period. Masks prevent the spread of the virus. Wearing one is part of the service industry. Any restaurant with unmasked waiters ... its their choice .... and the customers have a responsibility to inform all others. My opinion.
Blah blah blah...please ordain yourself...so your saying anyone who writes a bad comment is always correct? I’ve seen plenty who thrive off of negativity, where deserving or not...
Old 11-03-2020, 06:55 AM

Staff should wear masks even if outside. Most restaurants here do this. I agree, if not, leave.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I'm not sure I understand your issue. I sounds like the complainer did talk to the manager who was rude. That may be why he/she made a negative post. If you are saying that people should refrain from making negative posts to keep bad restaurants in business, I don't agree. Restaurant reviews, both negative and positive, are often very interesting and helpful. And, at least on this forum, people who make negative reviews are often contradicted by other posters, which actually helps to promote a good restaurant.
Staff should wear masks even if outside. Most restaurants here do this. I agree, if not, leave.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:02 AM

If you are serving food to the public during COVID and the staff is not wearing masks is a sign management lets their employees make their own rules. IMHO, it shows a lack of respect, especially to seniors who are susceptible.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:26 AM
Default Tipping

Let me begin by saying I am an excellent tipper. Most of the time I over tip by more than 20% . I do have to say though I resent having to do so. It should be the restaurants responsibility to pay the servers a decent wage. It should not be the customers responsibility to supplement their salary. A customer should not be expected to tip at all unless a server goes above and beyond the call of duty. It is their job and they chose it. Does the normal person get tipped for doing their job? Not usually! They might get a Christmas gift if it’s someone who does something for someone all year but to tip every time you go out is ridiculous. They don’t do it in other countries and actually find it offensive when you do so. I was actually told by one restaurant server that they were paid well and there was no reason for me to give them extra money. It should be the same in the states. It should be the owners responsibility to pay his employees , not the customers.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:42 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsenholzi View Post
Let me begin by saying I am an excellent tipper. Most of the time I over tip by more than 20% . I do have to say though I resent having to do so. It should be the restaurants responsibility to pay the servers a decent wage. It should not be the customers responsibility to supplement their salary. A customer should not be expected to tip at all unless a server goes above and beyond the call of duty. It is their job and they chose it. Does the normal person get tipped for doing their job? Not usually! They might get a Christmas gift if it’s someone who does something for someone all year but to tip every time you go out is ridiculous. They don’t do it in other countries and actually find it offensive when you do so. I was actually told by one restaurant server that they were paid well and there was no reason for me to give them extra money. It should be the same in the states. It should be the owners responsibility to pay his employees , not the customers.
Yep - what they said. This is the way it is in many countries. The cost of service is included in the cost of the meal.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 11-03-2020, 08:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up Terrible Idea

I believe it is a terrible idea not to tip and would add the tip should be generous enough
to help the server. I believe that if you get a carry out you tip the person who gave it to you. The only point I would add that if the server is rude then tip but don't go back. You have no idea what that server has been through and the experience's they just add. Only once have I ever broken this rule and made up for it. My wife and I were going to an event and stopped at a small restaurant for a dinner. The service was terrible. When we left, I left a small tip. The whole evening I felt bad and made it a point to drive quite a few miles out of the way to go back to that restaurant and give the server the remaining portion of what should have been the tip and then added a little more for my error in judgement. I swore I would never do that again and haven't. In many instances that is their lively hood and not leaving a tip is a form reducing their standard of living because you are angry. It's the old story we all learned when we were young."Have Compassion".
I have never worked in a restaurant but understand the implications of Tipping.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:24 AM

Every business should be held accountable for the product or service they provide. Writing a review, good or bad, is a method to do that. Additionally, every worker should be held accountable for the work they do. Tipping, large or small, is a method to do that. Allowing business’ a pass when they do poor service is an injustice to others and entitles them to continue their bad behavior. I routinely use reviews to make decisions on who I use and will always filter out the outliers (top 5 and bottom 5). The Better Business Bureau is also an excellent resource when you are unable to get resolution on an issue after running it up the flag pole. Most reputable businesses will respond to a BBB complaint.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:55 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,063 Times in 532 Posts

Now, for the rest of the story. " I asked why she wasn’t wearing a mask, especially because she was serving food. She went to get the manager, who admitted he didn’t know how to put on a mask properly. Then he asked, “why aren’t you wearing a mask?” I said because I was going to eat. He said in his restaurant wearing a mask was a courtesy and did not have to be worn, per the governor. Ok, true. We were told that If we didn’t like it we could leave, we did." When a manager says, "If you don't like it leave" I can't imagine many people would stay.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, post, restaurant, put, mask

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.