Don't people realize the damage when they criticize a restaurant?

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2020, 09:02 AM

I agree 100%.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:22 AM

Dealing with the public in an industry that revolves around there food is the toughest of all. People don't understand when something is prepared not to their specific taste or order. I'm sure there own kitchen has issues from time to time. Things happen and they aren't done on purpose. Somethings get cooked too much and some don't get cooked enough. Be polite and give others a break as you would want to have one given to you.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:22 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts
Default Good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcooper70 View Post
If a restaurant wants to get through this then they should be pretty focuses on service ... the manager should make sure that the servers are all masked ... period. Masks prevent the spread of the virus. Wearing one is part of the service industry. Any restaurant with unmasked waiters ... its their choice .... and the customers have a responsibility to inform all others. My opinion.
If a server doesn’t have a mask on (like us) we will be in the restaurant just long enough to leave. We take our mask off just long enough to eat and we put our mask back on as we are being served. It’s a two way street. There are chronic food complainers who are rarely pleased dining out. We never blame a server by leaving an inadequate tip because of the quality of food. There is something wrong with a person that does. If the food is very bad ask for the manager and tell her/him and be polite and discreet about it for best results.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:29 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsenholzi View Post
Let me begin by saying I am an excellent tipper. Most of the time I over tip by more than 20% . I do have to say though I resent having to do so. It should be the restaurants responsibility to pay the servers a decent wage. It should not be the customers responsibility to supplement their salary. A customer should not be expected to tip at all unless a server goes above and beyond the call of duty. It is their job and they chose it. Does the normal person get tipped for doing their job? Not usually! They might get a Christmas gift if it’s someone who does something for someone all year but to tip every time you go out is ridiculous. They don’t do it in other countries and actually find it offensive when you do so. I was actually told by one restaurant server that they were paid well and there was no reason for me to give them extra money. It should be the same in the states. It should be the owners responsibility to pay his employees , not the customers.
In these other countries the restaurant customer does pay the employees, through the price they pay for the meal that covers the overhead for the establishment. If a server gives bad service they get the same pay. Other than the threat of job loss there isn't much incentive for a salaried server to provide good service.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Two or three years ago wife and I went in the old Son Rise Cafe for lunch.
We were seated behind a table of eight ladies who had finished a mornings golf. They were arguing if a dollar a head was to much for a tip, as some thought 50 cents each was nearer the mark as there were eight of them after all.
Sometimes you cannot beieve what you hear!
I have hated that for a long time. Villagers are cheap tippers and complain a lot. I have heard this from many sales and servers. It is really disturbing to here that 8 entitled women gave server a $4 tip. They know. Minimum of 15%.

The issue of the mask is interesting to me. Are these people removing their masks to eat? If you are concerned about the virus, do not go to restaurants. Pick it up and go home.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

I tip how I've always tipped: first - it is *exclusively* dependent on the service provided, regardless of the quality of food.

For the absolute minimum - making sure the glasses don't have lipstick smudges on them before they bring them to the table, making sure there's no food on the utensils, making sure the table is clean before we sit down, the chairs don't have crumbs on them til we start eating, bringing the hot food while it's still hot, the cold food still cold, a reasonable wait time between being seated and being served, and then between finishing our meal and paying the bill -

That all gets 15%.

If they do it with a smile, look us in the eye, check back once or twice during our meal to make sure we're satisfied - it bumps up to 18%.

If they are especially friendly while maintaining a professional presentation, go out of their way to make us not merely satisfied, but actually GLAD that we chose this place, and was rewarded with this server...it's 20%.

If they do even more than that, it's 20% and we let the manager know what an absolute gem they have with this employee.

Anything less than the minimum, and I then include the quality of the food and overall atmosphere of the place. If it's as bad as the service, I won't bother telling the manager. If he doesn't know already, then he's buried his head in the sand already. If it's all bad, they get a Google review (I'm a certified Google reviewer). If it's just the server who was bad, and everything else is at least acceptable, if not stellar, I let the manager know, and the server gets no tip at all.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 11-03-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
They seem to have gone to the manager about their issue and they claim he/she was rude.

I think that when someone rights a review others will answer and usually will have a very well balanced discussion.

I do not understand why tipping became a part of this thread?
Actually, this post, and the original customer's post, is really about mask wearing, not restaurant service(food, etc). Obviously, they felt uncomfortable that the server wasn't wearing a mask. Instead of just leaving, they felt they needed to correct their behavior, then when they didn't get the result they wanted, they posted a review. I'm seeing all kinds of businesses with either no masks, or masks that sit below noses and mouths. If I had to correct everyone of them, I'd never have time to read these posts. Wait, what???
Old 11-03-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
If a restaurant has bad food or bad service or both, perhaps they deserve to go out of business.

If I had a bad experience with a business, I'd tell my friends warning them not to do business there. Social media has made it possible to tell hundreds or maybe thousands of people. In the long run, it should make not only restaurants, but all businesses more concerned about getting a bad name and working harder to be better.

On the other hand, we should also be telling people of good experiences and good deals when we have them. Unfortunately, human nature has us complain about bad experiences than we praise good ones. I think that when things go well, we feel that's just the way it should be and don't mention it to others.

So maybe we should report the good as much as the bad, but we don't.
If all the restaurants that have been cited for bad service/food were eliminated, there would be a very long line outside Golden Corral..or a mighty annoyed Mrs in the kitchen.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:36 AM

Most of the restaurants in TV are ok. You get what you pay for
Old 11-03-2020, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,042 Times in 5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesGP View Post
Actually, this post, and the original customer's post, is really about mask wearing, not restaurant service(food, etc). Obviously, they felt uncomfortable that the server wasn't wearing a mask. Instead of just leaving, they felt they needed to correct their behavior, then when they didn't get the result they wanted, they posted a review. I'm seeing all kinds of businesses with either no masks, or masks that sit below noses and mouths. If I had to correct everyone of them, I'd never have time to read these posts. Wait, what???
They said the manager was rude when they brought it to his attention. If that point was not made my post would have been entirely different.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:28 PM

Why does the restaurant industry continue to get away with not paying their employees at least the federal minimum wage, and then relying on the public (customers) to make up the difference?
Old 11-03-2020, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,739 Posts

I never ask why a person (who would like my business or money) is not wearing a mask. I simply ask them to put one on. Not up for discussion. If they don’t, I get away from them. They can do what they want but not near me.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts
Default Truth to be listened to from the other side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garwood1 View Post
I find the people who complain the most never dealt with public in a customer environment , I can personally say after 45 years in the grocery business as a manager that the public can be the most rude people alive if they’ve never worked in those conditions, I have had associates threatened, I’ve been cursed more times than I can count and posting negative comments is the typical keyboard courage so imho take the time to personally speak to a manager or the owner and do it like a standup person instead of laying your wrath on an entire staff because they all aren’t the same
great advice from an expert from experience. I do often times commend people in public customer service jobs for their patience with the general public. We can have unrealistic expectations for many reasons.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,042 Times in 5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhurtt@twc.com View Post
Why does the restaurant industry continue to get away with not paying their employees at least the federal minimum wage, and then relying on the public (customers) to make up the difference?
Simple answer, Because they Can!
Old 11-03-2020, 01:18 PM
Platinum member
Default Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I believe Yelp provides a good service........both good & bad reviews.
If you understand how to use, very helpful.
You can't rely on Yelp. I personally know of restaurant owners that pan the restaurant across the street with mis-information and bad reviews in an attempt to gain market share in their neighborhood. On Yelp, you never know WHO is writing the review (both positive and negative).

In magazines, like STYLE, the reporter will always write a nice review because they want that restaurant to advertise more with them. Conflict of interest in magazine reviews.

I rely more on friends and neighbors but I realize everyone has a different taste. Just because they served a baked potato wrapped in aluminum foil (for me) is not a reason to pan a restaurant. I don't mind unwrapping the still-hot potato first. Others might complain. We're all different when it comes to saltiness, spice level, doneness, greasiness, etc...

Skip
Closed Thread

Tags
people, post, restaurant, put, mask

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.