Extra bar charges at country clubs

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2015, 08:14 AM
Default Extra bar charges at country clubs

While at Belle Glade CC for dinner the other night, there was an extra $1.00 added to my vodka gimlet. (I just had the house vodka). When I questioned the waiter, he said that the $1.00 was for the splash of Rose's Lime Juice that was put into my gimlet.
I proceeded to tell him about being charged $.50 for ice in my gimlet at Redsauce. He said, "Our 'group' of CC restaurants charges $2.00 for "rocks" !!"
Of course, I said that that is BS, and he agreed.
Have any of you experienced these charges?? We feel that this needs to be stopped! Suggestions??
Old 01-31-2015, 08:27 AM
Gold member

No, but I do agree that those extras are a bogus way to enhance their bottom line....sleazy is the word that comes to mind...cheap also fits...I'd drink else where...odd I'm not charged for "rocks" when I order water....
Old 01-31-2015, 08:47 AM
Platinum member

Bring me an ice water, and hold the water. I'll also have two shots of scotch please!
Old 01-31-2015, 09:05 AM

Ah oh...I can see it coming now. The die hard defenders of that country club conglomerate are going to jump on here and defend sleazy practices to the hilt. I am from Ft. Lauderdale & have travelled & eaten out in numerous restaurants over the past few yrs, including Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Key West, throughout the Fl Keys, San Francisco, Monterey, Pebble Beach, Boston & various places along the lovely New England coastline. I must say I have never ever seen a charge for ice cubes. Just whom do they think they are fooling with here...people who just jumped off a banana boat? Unbelievable!
Old 01-31-2015, 09:33 AM
Veteran member

We go off campus more and more when we go out. They talk about disposable income just dont like disposing of it all at once.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:36 AM
Veteran member

Unacceptable. Me thinks a boycott is in order.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I always ask what the drink specials are. If I am ordering something else I try to ask how much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp000 View Post
While at Belle Glade CC for dinner the other night, there was an extra $1.00 added to my vodka gimlet. (I just had the house vodka). When I questioned the waiter, he said that the $1.00 was for the splash of Rose's Lime Juice that was put into my gimlet.
I proceeded to tell him about being charged $.50 for ice in my gimlet at Redsauce. He said, "Our 'group' of CC restaurants charges $2.00 for "rocks" !!"
Have any of you experienced these charges?? We feel that this needs to be stopped! Suggestions??
Old 01-31-2015, 09:40 AM
Eternal Member

I have never heard of charging extra for Rose's Lime Juice in a gimlet since that is part of a gimlet.

As for charging extra money ($2) for ice, I find that very hard to believe. I have been told of being charged more for straight liquor without ice because you get more liquor.

For the scoop direct from the source, why doesn't someone just put in a phone call to the manager at Belle Glade and ask him directly AND post his answer?

Me? I very rarely go that far South. I stick mainly with Lopez, Glenview, and Hacienda Hills. All very nice clubs.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
I have never heard of charging extra for Rose's Lime Juice in a gimlet since that is part of a gimlet.

As for charging extra money ($2) for ice, I find that very hard to believe. I have been told of being charged more for straight liquor without ice because you get more liquor.

For the scoop direct from the source, why doesn't someone just put in a phone call to the manager at Belle Glade and ask him directly AND post his answer?

Me? I very rarely go that far South. I stick mainly with Lopez, Glenview, and Hacienda Hills. All very nice clubs.
I agree. I think there's some fibbing going on here to cause a stir.

Oh, Mr Bond, you want it shaken not stirred? That will be $2 extra. LOL
Old 01-31-2015, 10:06 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post

You are correct. You get charged more for ordering a drink on the rocks. However, that is not to pay for the rocks (ice). That is because you get more alcohol when you order straight liquor. Many places do this.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:44 AM
Gold member

Quote:
How much was that drink?
Old 01-31-2015, 10:46 AM
Veteran member
Default Charge for drinks

It's not just the country clubs. I had a Martini at Riccardi's in Brownwood and an additional charge was posted. It was up, not on the rock. So I suppose the olives were extra. If this keeps up, the unofficial Villages Cocktail (water with lemon) will carry a charge for the lemon.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:54 AM
Veteran member

I think the $2.00 rock charge is for DUI insurance.

If you are drunk enough to pay $2.00 for ice you should be cut off.

Don’t believe me, ask your financial adviser.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:04 AM
Sage

if you order beer does it cost more with a glass
Old 01-31-2015, 11:04 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
If this is true, I just might have to quit drinking or the alternative and shoot myself........nah, that ain't going to happen either!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.