Extra bar charges at country clubs

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2015, 06:45 AM
Sage

The clubs have to make up for some of the antics of their customers. I see a customer bring their own mug with olives and an unknown liquid in it--after a while it was obvious she brought her own liquor and was drinking bottled beer--she was making her own boiler makers.

I've observed villagers freshening their drinks with their own mini bottles & flasks.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:23 AM
Eternal Member

If you Google this....
do bars charge more for drinks on the rocks
You'll see pages about it. This has been going on all over for many years
Old 02-01-2015, 12:18 PM
Sage

I remember years ago being charged extra for ice in water in Canada because apparently Canadians don't like ice water.
But no extra charge for "rocks" with my Scotch in London. Just consternation because nobody there drinks whiskey with ice. They drink warm beer too.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 02-01-2015, 12:44 PM

Well...I had a phone call from the operations mgr and an e-mail from the owner. According to both, the "rocks" charge isn't really a "rocks" charge...it is associated with the bigger "pour", as many of you have mentioned. They both said that it should be explained in terms, other than a "rocks" charge. DUH !!!
Neither of them could explain the extra $1.00 charged for the Rose's Lime Juice that was added to the vodka for the gimlet. I will, definitely, ask, next time if there will be a charge, BEFORE I order it.
I advised both men to have staff meetings and get the terminology cleared up, as well as instructing the servers and bartenders to tell customers about extra charges, when ordering.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I remember years ago being charged extra for ice in water in Canada because apparently Canadians don't like ice water.
But no extra charge for "rocks" with my Scotch in London. Just consternation because nobody there drinks whiskey with ice. They drink warm beer too.
That's not the Canada I know. Perhaps you were in a tourist area where they charge you for everything. We never get charged for ice at the restaurants we frequent. Being Canadian I can assure you that Canadians, like Americans, drink their liquor every which way. Canadians don't like warm beer. In fact, if available they typically enjoy their beer in a chilled glass or mug. They would rather drink out of the cold bottle than to pour it into a warm glass. Even Britain where warm beer is still enjoyed, if not preferred, is transitioning to a cold brew. This makes me thirsty just talkin' about it.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
The clubs have to make up for some of the antics of their customers. I see a customer bring their own mug with olives and an unknown liquid in it--after a while it was obvious she brought her own liquor and was drinking bottled beer--she was making her own boiler makers.

I've observed villagers freshening their drinks with their own mini bottles & flasks.

We've seen that too. Some people are too much.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I must be one of those mug toting people. I bring a 12oz. Tervis Tumbler with me when I go out. It's empty when I get there and it's empty when I leave. It holds the same amount as the plastic cup that the Bartender pours your beer in. Mine doesn't sweat. and with an ice cube keeps my beer colder.I hate warm beer. I usually hand it to the Bartender and he fills it, this way making sure it's empty. Some places don't like that practice so I don't do it there. I do agree there are CHEAP low life people that sneak in their own beverages and that only hurts it for the rest of us.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:27 AM

A shot of liquor is one and a half ounces. You can put it in a six oz or sixteen oz glass, and it is still a shot which is what was purchased. If I purchase a Manhattan, I expect it to have vermouth, and the price of the drink should reflect that. All these extra charges are nothing but a sham and a way to rip people off. I can promise you I will never be going to these Country clubs again.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourthrock View Post
My wife and I are considering moving to TV and this kind of practice may keep us away. We have traveled the US working for the Department of Defense and HAVE NEVER seen this kind of Greedy Practice.
Lets see, you are ok with spending a couple hundred thousand for a home, paying a couple thousand to move your stuff, pay a monthly amenity fee, if a golfer 600+ for priority memberships but if you have to pay minor charges of less than 5 bucks that would keep you from moving here? Pretty obvious TV is not your kind of place. Business's are here to make a profit and they have every right to do that. The majority of those here understand that and judging the patronage at the clubs and other places, those that find a 5 dollar additional charge outrageous are, thankfully, in the minority.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Would a person (s) really decide where to live their retirement years based on comments made on this and any other online forum for that matter? Really ???
Old 02-03-2015, 12:00 PM
Gold member

Probably the biggest downside to our community is there is so much discretionary income. Many businesses don't have to worry about repeat or satisfied customers. You leave your bar stool and two other will be fighting to sit in it. I'm not one of the above mentioned.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Lets see, you are ok with spending a couple hundred thousand for a home, paying a couple thousand to move your stuff, pay a monthly amenity fee, if a golfer 600+ for priority memberships but if you have to pay minor charges of less than 5 bucks that would keep you from moving here? Pretty obvious TV is not your kind of place. Business's are here to make a profit and they have every right to do that. The majority of those here understand that and judging the patronage at the clubs and other places, those that find a 5 dollar additional charge outrageous are, thankfully, in the minority.
I don't think the cost of purchasing a home has anything to do with paying more for on the rocks. That is ridiculous. Or paying for Rose's lime juice. When you order a drink, you are paying for that drink.

As for someone having been affiliated with the Dept. of Defense not having seen such greed....surely you jest.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
Bring me an ice water, and hold the water. I'll also have two shots of scotch please!
Hell... bring your own flask. These clubs are making good money. If they want to compete they better get their act together. They are starting to act like our government and trying to get every nickel out of you. Don't drink when you are eating out and save a bundle.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
It's a bigger pour. The extra money is for the extra alcohol.

This seems to explain how it is done elsewhere:
For most places a shot/mixed drink is 1.5 oz liquor, a rocks drink should be 2 ounces and a martini/manhattan should have 3 ounces.

Chances are their computer POS systems (register) have the whiskey prices under the price of a shot and have no separate button for it as neat so it would be added on, example:

Jameson $10 Jameson and Ginger/ Coke/Soda $10
Jameson neat/on the rocks $10 + $2 = $12 It wouldn't make sense for them to charge you the same price for a shot of whiskey and a whiskey on the rocks because you’d be getting 1/2 oz more when you order on the rocks, you pay more for more pour.

So if anything 1.5 oz = $10, technically 2 oz drink should be $13.33 since an 0.5 oz is appx $3.33

See more at: $2 Upcharge for Ordering Your Scotch Neat? - Scotch AddictScotch Addict
ok - I took this math problem a step further.
Jameson cost $28 750ml 60 ounces click here
60 oz/1.5 oz = 40 shots
$28/40 shots = 70 cents a shot is what it costs

Here's what I think:

How humiliating would it be to get caught sneaking in your own whiskey? Go outside, tip your flask and enjoy your shot if you can't wait until you get home. Remember the guy who stole the cigars.

How many people steal a shot from a country club everyday? Do you think there is even one a day? We are not being charged to make up a 70 cent loss for the day. I'll bet more then that gets spilled.

And this is for the guy that owns the bar. Charge the same for straight and on the rocks knowing that you lose 35 cents on the extra half ounce of Jameson. Your customers think you are charging for ice. The next time they pick out a bar they are going to the one "that doesn't charge for ice." If they go to yours because it's more convenient maybe they will only have one drink instead of two. You still don't make as much as you would have if they bought 2 drinks.

I don't think people go to bars to get hammered. They go for the camaraderie. A very social, funny, good bartender even makes it more fun. These bartenders are hard to find and will work where the tips are best. This will be the bar where the customer thinks the price of the drink is a good deal. They are all clean and safe around here.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Embarrassing? In most states taking your own alcohol into an establishment with a liquor license is against the law. Get caught and we'll talk about you in another thread.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.