Favorite Chinese Restaurants in the Area

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2021, 12:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Well, I finally went for some Chinese take-out. It seems that when I find a place that suits my taste, they either get sold, change cooks or go downhill in some other way. I tried Lee's KItchen (new owner) in Pinellas Plaza and I tried Sunrise Asian Restaurant (new restaurant) in Trailwinds Village. I'll pass on Lee's.

I have high hopes for Sunrise Asian Restaurant. So far, I like their Pork Egg Foo Yung and their Pork Lo Mein. Their Egg Rolls are not to my liking. I think all the take-out places around here buy the same brand of Egg Rolls. Their Mongolian Beef stood out. Fresh ingredients and very tender beef. Better than Koyame. It wasn't spicy enough for me, even though I asked for extra, extra spicy. Good that they included some chili oil cups, without my asking.

I'm definitely going to try more of their dishes. I usually judge a Chinese take-out place by their Fried Rice. That and Hot & Sour Soup are next.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:58 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

I agree on Sunrise. Does the Mongolian Beef have the little bird chilis in it that give it the heat to counter the sweet sauce? What was it about Lee's you didn't like?
Old 04-26-2021, 04:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
I agree on Sunrise. Does the Mongolian Beef have the little bird chilis in it that give it the heat to counter the sweet sauce? What was it about Lee's you didn't like?
There were no bird's eye chili peppers that I saw. I have lots of spicy stuff at home. For Chinese take-out, I usually add Spicy Chili Crisp or Sambal Oelek.

I always ask for a little cup of the house mustard. I like that flavor. Like it on a Braunschweiger and onion sandwich too.

Tried Lee's only once, but nothing tasted or looked fresh to me. The Pork Lo Mein was dark brown and very greasy. I've had worse, but I'll pass.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:19 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

The enjoyment of Chinese food in the Villages is every bit the same as the enjoyment of Italian food and pizza - it all depends on what you are used to and your taste buds. We tried Koyame because of Villager reviews and the food in no way came close to what we were used to and what we enjoy! And besides that - the kitchen men did not wear masks! Only two young woman taking and handing you your takeout order wore a mask.

Since we drive to FL, am thinking seriously of ordering several meals from our home restaurant - freezing them and packing them frozen so we could enjoy them while there! That's how much we did not enjoy the local Chinese food there!

Old 04-26-2021, 07:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkeowner View Post
Koyame, but since they are carry-out now we haven't had their food for several months. We like to eat in. Hoe they open again for inside dining soon!
It has been about a month ago, but Koyane had limited indoor seating. I would guess about 6 booths.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Koyame was suppose to be a secret, yipsters, giggle.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:28 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

I've had takeout from Sunrise three times now and I am very satisfied. In my area, I like Sunrise better than the others. Lets hope they continue putting out decent food.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:04 AM
Veteran member

I almost ordered from Koyame thinking they were in Colony Plaza, and I liked their menu, but then discovered they are 25 minutes one way, so I went to Sunrise, which I found mediocre, but I will give them one more try, since they had just opened.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:33 PM
Platinum member

We enjoyed take out from Sunrise for lunch today. For anyone unfamiliar with the Trailwinds shopping area, Sunrise Asian and Marco’s Pizza are in the Publix group of stores to the left of Publix. Colony might be closer for us but we’ll go back to Sunrise. We also like Koyame but it’s too far.

5/26 Stopped at Sunrise Asian for take out dinner and found the experience disappointing. Hot & Sour soup was exceptional. But the Mongolian Beef was mostly onions and was tasteless. The Szechuan chicken was just ok. Will be going back to Colony.

Last edited by REDCART; 06-03-2021 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDCART View Post
We enjoyed take out from Sunrise for lunch today. For anyone unfamiliar with the Trailwinds shopping area, Sunrise Asian and Marco’s Pizza are in the Publix group of stores too the left of Publix. Colony might be closer for us but we’ll go back to Sunrise. We also like Koyame but it’s too far.
We went to Sunrise once when it just opened. Ordered three different dishes but all three were way to spicy for out taste. As a matter of fact they are not ordinarily spicy at all.

Added more vegetables and rice to it to make it edible.

Also took over an hour to get on line order and than get our food but hopefully they have gotten their act together.

Thinking we will give it another try in the near future as most people seem to be liking it.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:23 AM

Any recommendations for Chinese buffets?

I'm not a big eater but I like the variety. I've tried two. One out by Lowes on 466A and Ichiban (sp?)

Not impressed as of yet.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You can try Ocean Buffet in Ocala, just east of Rte 75 on Rte 200. It's better than Ichiban in Leesburg.

3425 SW College Rd, Ocala, FL 34474
Old 06-03-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
What are your favorite Chinese Restaurants in the area?
We love Cheng’s in the mini-mall next to NY Pizza . I often go there just for egg rolls ( evening snacks ) . I rate their dinners as better than P.F. Chang’s in Gainesville . The lunch meals have bigger portions than the evening meals .
Old 06-04-2021, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

We went back to Sunrise a few days ago and were very happy with what we got.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:40 AM
Veteran member
Default We Like Lees Kitchen in Pinellas Plaza for quick take out chinese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Well, I finally went for some Chinese take-out. It seems that when I find a place that suits my taste, they either get sold, change cooks or go downhill in some other way. I tried Lee's KItchen (new owner) in Pinellas Plaza and I tried Sunrise Asian Restaurant (new restaurant) in Trailwinds Village. I'll pass on Lee's.

I have high hopes for Sunrise Asian Restaurant. So far, I like their Pork Egg Foo Yung and their Pork Lo Mein. Their Egg Rolls are not to my liking. I think all the take-out places around here buy the same brand of Egg Rolls. Their Mongolian Beef stood out. Fresh ingredients and very tender beef. Better than Koyame. It wasn't spicy enough for me, even though I asked for extra, extra spicy. Good that they included some chili oil cups, without my asking.

I'm definitely going to try more of their dishes. I usually judge a Chinese take-out place by their Fried Rice. That and Hot & Sour Soup are next.
If your after quick take out Chinese we think Lees Kitchen in Pinellas plaza is really very good, We tried several of the quick take out Chinese restaurants and for us Lees Kitchen seems a lot better. You also get a discount with a Wildwood School discount card (not listed on card but they accept the previous owners ). I'd give them a try.
Closed Thread

Tags
favorite, chinese, restaurants, area

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.