Favorite Mexican Restaurant

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2019, 10:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
Los Maguey's in Wildwood and Belleview is excellent. Food is great, they $1 taco Tuesday, and $1 Wednesday (Wildwood) Thursday (Belleview) enchilada night. Best happy hour anywhere in The Villages. Happy hour is all day every day. $1.25 for domestic pints, $1.75 for premium pints, and $3.99 for large margaritas.

El Toreo in Ocala is also excellent - some of the best food and salsa I've had anywhere.

Ay Jalisco has improved tremendously over the past 6 months - they were quite bland for a while, but apparently have new cook or cooks. The food is extremely good, and their salsa verde is the best in the area now - very tasty and the right amount of hot (and I like very hot!).
it does seem to come down to the cook for a restaurant to be successful. I grew up in south Texas and ate Mexican or Tex-Mex all the time. As I get older, I find I want Mexican food more often. Ay! Jalisco is my first choice. Naldo's in Southern Trace is my second choice and is very good but more expensive than Ay! Jalisco. Casa Agave is also very good 3rd choice but is the most
expensive of the 3.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:54 PM
Veteran member

Naldo's
Old 10-24-2019, 08:12 AM
Sage

There is no great Tex-Mex food in The Villages. There, I said it, just like the Northeasterners claim there is no great pizza in The Villages.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
For those who like Fiesta Grande in the Colony Center, as of now the owner plans an additional restaurant in Brownwood in 2020.
I hope they find a way to damp down the sound level in Brownwood! It can be deafening in the Colony location.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:34 PM

Nos gusta a Brisas del Mar. Es my autentico!
Old 10-25-2019, 07:52 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRussell View Post
Nos gusta a Brisas del Mar. Es my autentico!
Y la comida es muy deliciosa.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Naldo's Mexican Kitchen
We had dinner at Naldo's Mexican Kitchen yesterday and give this restaurant two thumbs up. The place is adorable.....may not be authentic Mexican decor but it is very welcoming and so colorful.

As for the food.....we started with delicious hot chips and salsa. We also had the white cheso which was delicious.

Beef Fajitas was really good and the portion was very large. I usually can finish an order of Fajitas but had to take some home from Naldo's. Must say, though, the rice at Naldo's was not as flavorful as the rice at Fiesta Grande Mexican Grill in Colony Plaza. I usually like to pass on the rice but can never pass on the rice at Fiesta Grande. I left the rice at Naldo's.

The regular Margarita was delicious as was the Strawberry Margarita. I have always thought Fiestsa Grande has the best Margaritas in The Villages. Naldo's is on par with Fiesta Grande. We will be going back to Naldo's.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Fiesta Grande is wonderful and Brisas del Mar is even more wonderfullerer! They are about equal food wise but the atmosphere at Brisas del Mar is mucho betterer! Ole!
Old 11-25-2019, 05:02 AM

Everyone already said some good ones around here, but if you're up in Gainesville, Linda Vista is delicious. Also, in Ocoee, the Ocoee Taco Company is a tiny little place with great tacos. My daughter in Windermere showed me that one.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:04 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

We went to Naldo's the other evening. I was not impressed. The salsa was from a jar and very mild. The fish taco's were extremely bland. The rice/chicken bowl was poor at best. The margarita's were very good. However they were twice as much as other places. So when I compare it to Las Maguyas in Wildwood, they will continue to be my go to place for Mexican food.

Last edited by l2ridehd; 11-25-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:26 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Fiesta Grande at Colony Plaza Speak, cook and serve excellent Mexican food. Very authentic, and friendly.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

There will be new Taco Bell opening soon on 466A near the new Lowes. Good tacos. They actually have taco sauce, which most other mexican restaurants have never heard of. They think salsa is taco sauce.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,507 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
There will be new Taco Bell opening soon on 466A near the new Lowes. Good tacos. They actually have taco sauce, which most other mexican restaurants have never heard of. They think salsa is taco sauce.
That's because "taco sauce" is an American invention, and isn't part of Mexican cuisine. In Mexican cuisine there's hot sauce, salsa, and pico de gallo. Salsa IS the sauce typically put on tacos, when one chooses to put any sauce on it at all. The word itself, "salsa," is Spanish for "sauce." Only at American fast-food joints is this not true.

For another Mexican-style fast-ish foodery, I have tried Lazy Mac's Taco Shack inside the theatre at Sumter Landing. I had an empanada. It was very tasty, though I think next time I'll try the chicken - I think I'll like that better. They also have fresh pico that you can spoon out into a little paper cup - just enough for three forksfull. For me, one empanada and one little thing of pico is a perfect lunch. Very inexpensive too, under $4.

They have dollar beef tacos on Tuesdays. I haven't tried those but I definitely will next time I'm there on a Tuesday.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
Fiesta Grande at Colony Plaza Speak, cook and serve excellent Mexican food. Very authentic, and friendly.
There will be an additional Fiesta Grande at Brownwood in 2020. The address will be 3647 Kessel Rd. Pretty much across from 5 Guys. We'll try the new one when the time comes, but we really like the Colony location, food, and staff.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:16 AM

La Palma has the blandest (yep that is a word) and tasteless food I have ever experienced... four of us went there for the first time and all had the same opinion....save your money unless you like eating with zero taste.. odd thing was none of us expressed our opinion until two days later because we did not want to impact the others evening
Closed Thread

Tags
mexican, food, restaurant, wildwood, agave

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.