First & last trip to Bluefin

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2018, 08:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Went to the Bluefin, sat @ the bar ordered two Grey Goose drinks in martinis glasses, the bar person said they're going to be short. Ok she said any a martini is 2 oz of vodka/gin 1/2 oz vermouth--we said we don't want any vermouth--when we saw she was reaching for a shot measurer-- we said stop-- we're out of here--another patron at the bar said--"you're smarter than we were" Their martini was the shortest pour ever & since we never get happy hour prices @ Fred's joints we bailed --never again

The place is a tourist trap-short & simple
Reminds me of when I was in my early 20s I tended bar in an upscale restaurant. As a martini drinker back then I knew what made a good one. I purchased an empty perfume atomizer and loaded it with dry vermouth, I then simply sprayed a squirt into the glass before pouring in the gin or vodka. I got many compliments on the martinis I made until the owner found out and threw away the atomizer. Shame to ruin a martini with
½ ounce of vermouth. YUCK!
Old 10-13-2018, 08:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
The trouble with the Rose for us- is the table for two is too small (confining) and the noise level -also going into downtown Leesburg is not in our comfort zone
The “Rose” has moved to Leesburg?
Old 10-13-2018, 08:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
We ate ate at Bonefish the other night and it was not great. Havana, Palmer, Turners and Rose Pavilion were much better. I am more into good food than liquor.
Where is the Rose Pavillion?
Old 10-13-2018, 08:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

If we go to a seafood restaurant we will judge it based on the quality of the meal. If we want a top shelf drink, we will have it at home before we go out to dinner, or better yet, when we get home. At restaurants, we order a couple of Michelob Ultras in a bottle, the bartender can't screw that up and it goes well with dinner. We hope to be stopping by to check out the Bluefin next week, and will judge it then. We love seafood and are hoping for a better option than either Bonefish or the Lighthouse.

I do have a question, does anyone know if the Bluefin takes reservations? That is why we always default to the Bonefish, they take reservations. We like to show up for dinner at the pre-specified time and promptly get a seat. No reservations, no Bluefin for us, especially after the long trek it is for us to Brownwood.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
If we go to a seafood restaurant we will judge it based on the quality of the meal. If we want a top shelf drink, we will have it at home before we go out to dinner, or better yet, when we get home. At restaurants, we order a couple of Michelob Ultras in a bottle, the bartender can't screw that up and it goes well with dinner. We hope to be stopping by to check out the Bluefin next week, and will judge it then. We love seafood and are hoping for a better option than either Bonefish or the Lighthouse.

I do have a question, does anyone know if the Bluefin takes reservations? That is why we always default to the Bonefish, they take reservations. We like to show up for dinner at the pre-specified time and promptly get a seat. No reservations, no Bluefin for us, especially after the long trek it is for us to Brownwood.
What is a long trek?
Old 10-13-2018, 08:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Went to the Bluefin, sat @ the bar ordered two Grey Goose drinks in martinis glasses, the bar person said they're going to be short. Ok she said any a martini is 2 oz of vodka/gin 1/2 oz vermouth--we said we don't want any vermouth--when we saw she was reaching for a shot measurer-- we said stop-- we're out of here--another patron at the bar said--"you're smarter than we were" Their martini was the shortest pour ever & since we never get happy hour prices @ Fred's joints we bailed --never again

The place is a tourist trap-short & simple
Hey Chat,

First you rather have home cooking because none of the restaurants meet your taste. The drinks suck, you don't own a golf cart in a golf community, the best thing for you to do is move to Orlando where the prices are higher but you can drive to your new favorite places.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Didn't even give them a chance to pour-if they are amateurs @ making a Martini- the can't be trusted to make an entree
When I was a bartender, a martini was a 1.5 second pour into a metal shaker filled halfway with ice, then tip it with the shaker filter over into a martini glass. Lift the bottle of vermouth, then - without actually pouring any, put it back on the shelf. Add a green olive with the pimiento in it, and serve.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Where is the Rose Pavillion?
The Rose Plantation is in Fruitland Park.

The Rose Plantation - Home

Went there once for lunch. The service was very good but the food was OK, not outstanding... maybe that was just the luck of the draw. We'll go back sometime and maybe draw a better meal.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
But those reviews were probably submitted by mere commoners..
Old 10-13-2018, 09:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
But those reviews were probably submitted by mere commoners..
NOTHING but the most common commoner here. I don't drink, my wife has one or two drinks sometimes when we go out. She enjoyed a Florida Blueish/Greenish drink in a Martini glass, several of them. We have been there six times and like it a little better each time. We have no complaints because it meets our expectations. We look forward to going there because it is a nice place with great food and coffee.

I have had the pleasure of meeting Chatbrat one day at Xfinity. We spoke for a few minutes and lived 20 minutes from each other in N.J. I must say he is a very nice guy and I took a whole lot of shots at him before we met. He is in my estimation a good guy who is a tough nut to crack on restaurant issues. It is his choice to take those shots. This is a forum for giving and taking information and opinions. His normally don't align with mine but I do respect him very much after meeting him.

Anyone who served our country gets a pass with me on B.S. issues. What if everyone on here agreed on every issue?

Time to take cover! The Popcorn is Orville Redenbacher Brand, not store brand!
Old 10-13-2018, 09:54 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Seems like booze is a very big part of some posters lives...
I was thinking the same thing...I don't drink and would like to know about the food. Another thing I don't do is base my reviews on cost.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:08 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

I find it amusing that some people move to "the middle of nowhere Central FL," to a retirement community where most people are on a fixed income, yet they are appalled when they can't find the "dining experience" that they demand. I think most people, before they make a move, do their research and define their priorities as to what they want in a retirement community and then decide what community is the best match to those priorities. The Villages may not be the dining experience that some enjoy, but, it is a conscious choice. We consider ourselves "foodies".... but this was our choice. So if we complained about restaurants in The Villages I would think we were reckless in our choice or just pompous in our attitude.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:14 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post

Last week when I called for a birthday party of 8 Blue Fin did NOT take reservations and therefore, did not get our business...when they decide to join the 2000's we will re-consider.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2018, 10:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
Last week when I called for a birthday party of 8 Blue Fin did NOT take reservations and therefore, did not get our business...when they decide to join the 2000's we will re-consider.

You called Dunkin Donuts next door by mistake! Wink! Peace Out Ms. FrauBratgoofy!
Old 10-13-2018, 10:30 PM
Platinum member

Actually I do love coffee, but only when I make it at home. It has to be dark roast with all natural cream and no artificial colors and it has to be brewed to exactly 102* and served in a black coffee cup with a sprinkle of organic sugar on the rim. And for fun sometimes I sprinkle cinnamon in the coffee just to mix it up. When I bartend, though, I just serve it black...no fancy sh!t for me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
You called Dunkin Donuts next door by mistake! Wink! Peace Out Ms. FrauBratgoofy!
Closed Thread

Tags
bar, bluefin, martini, stop--, measurer--

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.