Fish and Chips

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2018, 06:39 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default It's the same point as...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I'm not sure what the point is to fish and chips. It's just fried fish with fries on the side. So, why is this considered a special dish, except that you are calling french fries chips instead of fries?
having a McDonalds(who originally just served a burger or cheese burger, fries and a drink). It's just a fast food joint that used to sell just the single fillet and fries wrapped in news paper.

There's nothing for to get a point from except that you're from America and it originated in England.

As to calling them chips in lieu of fries...gooogle it.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:41 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default The first time I had fish and chips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Interesting but not helpful.
Why are the fish and chips better? Better fish, better oil, hotter oil, better batter------
was in Scotland in the late 80's. It sucked. The fish was boney and both were soaked in their deep fry oil...fries limp. Never had it again. Much better fish and chips in the US.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:57 AM
fw102807

Our Scottish friends say that the Fish and Chips at Johnny Rockets is the closest to the UK as they have had.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:34 AM
Platinum member

Love the fried fish & chips at Tierra Del Sol.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:49 AM

Had the Fish and Chips for lunch at Bonefish last week. Not bad, and the Malt Vinegar was brought to the table promptly when we asked.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Our Scottish friends say that the Fish and Chips at Johnny Rockets is the closest to the UK as they have had.
Oh please do not compare Johnny Rockets to Scottish fish and chips. We were based in Helensburgh for two years and our local fish and chip shop was wonderful. Every Friday night it was fish and chips and our son had chicken and chips. Wrapped in wax paper and newspaper. I wonder if they still serve it that way?

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-05-2018, 10:06 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Oh please do not compare Johnny Rockets to Scottish fish and chips. We were based in Helensburgh for two years and our local fish and chip shop was wonderful. Every Friday night it was fish and chips and our son had chicken and chips. Wrapped in wax paper and newspaper. I wonder if they still serve it that way?
I've actually not had them there or anywhere. I was just passing along the info I was told by our friends who come from Scotland. I prefer my fish baked or grilled.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:49 PM

Try Havana's Fish and Chips. Ordered it last weekend, and I was the best I ever had. Yuengling beer battered haddock that has a crispy coating and is moist inside. And, it's not dripping with grease like I experienced in Ireland or the UK.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I have not found any to compare to UK. So far here I find fish to be either on the greasy side( oil not hot enough, or batter inside still dough (frozen fish).
Old 09-05-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatskillBill View Post
Try Havana's Fish and Chips. Ordered it last weekend, and I was the best I ever had. Yuengling beer battered haddock that has a crispy coating and is moist inside. And, it's not dripping with grease like I experienced in Ireland or the UK.
Agree! Havanna has very good fish and chips!
Old 09-05-2018, 07:27 PM

Yup, ordered fish and chips, in London back in the day....I did not find black newsprint on my oily fried cod, or smeared on my "chips" appetizing ..Luckily there was a "bin" near by...Say what, and all that, isn't it...
Old 09-05-2018, 07:34 PM

Rae-Rae's Friday's on 441
Old 09-06-2018, 02:58 PM
Gold member
Smile

The best fish and chips I have had here in the states is at "The Rose and Crown" at Epcot. Great crust and moist on the inside. If you don't have reservations there you can get fish and chips at their walkup window.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 09-06-2018, 03:12 PM

God's honest truth, had fish one time in Miami and Erik Estrada was a few tables away. Does that count?
Old 09-06-2018, 05:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I'm not sure what the point is to fish and chips. It's just fried fish with fries on the side. So, why is this considered a special dish, except that you are calling french fries chips instead of fries?
My first experience with fish and chips was when i was stationed in Scotland in the early 60's. The chips were always chunks of potatoes, not frozen french fries. The fish was chunks of cod. All this was sprinkled with salt and malt vinegar and wrapped in the daily newspaper for you to take home. I have not been able to find anything with this taste since leaving there.

Tags
vs987, tapatalk, area, chips, fish

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.