Governor DeSantis signs food delivery app restrictions into law

Unread 04-05-2024, 11:51 AM
Gold member
Default Governor DeSantis signs food delivery app restrictions into law

"DeSantis signs food delivery app restrictions into law.

How will this affect Florida residents making an order through a food delivery app?
For starters, Floridians will no longer see different prices listed on delivery apps from the restaurant's menu. They will not be allowed to inflate, decrease, or alter a food service establishment’s pricing unless it is already agreed upon.

Additionally, customers will have more communication with establishments during the preparation of orders, during delivery and for up to two hours after a courier picks up the order. The law also states delivery firms must provide consumers with a way to express order concerns directly with the restaurants."

Your browser is not supported | tallahassee.com
Unread 04-05-2024, 12:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
"DeSantis signs food delivery app restrictions into law.

How will this affect Florida residents making an order through a food delivery app?
For starters, Floridians will no longer see different prices listed on delivery apps from the restaurant's menu. They will not be allowed to inflate, decrease, or alter a food service establishment’s pricing unless it is already agreed upon.

Additionally, customers will have more communication with establishments during the preparation of orders, during delivery and for up to two hours after a courier picks up the order. The law also states delivery firms must provide consumers with a way to express order concerns directly with the restaurants."

Your browser is not supported | tallahassee.com
Hmmm. ‘goes into effect July 2025’ ...I sense a lot of non compliance in the next 15 months. Kudos to Uber Eats and Door Dash anyway for lobbying for its passage
Unread 04-05-2024, 12:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

I see how this helps the establishment, but how does this help the consumer?
- The delivery price is allowed to be higher than the restaurant price if the establishment agrees.
- The fees paid by the restaurant must be clearly stated in the agreement between the restaurant and the delivery service but it does not require the customer to be informed
- Regulation of delivery services is preempted to the state (no local regulations allowed)

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Unread 04-05-2024, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

Sounds like a useless law. As long as the customer knows how much they will be charged, why do you need the law?
Unread 04-05-2024, 01:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Sounds like a useless law. As long as the customer knows how much they will be charged, why do you need the law?
Exactly
It creates a new state bureaucracy ie; state jobs. $1000. fines etc. Are people really needing to ‘stay in touch’ with the kitchen after you place a delivery order? Just cook! Ridiculous
As I said, I applaud the UberEats and DD for supporting it but c’mon, they could care less if you have an onion ring missing, your reduction sauce has evaporated etc. They still collect and pass Go. Lmk in the summer of ‘25 how much this bill changes the landscape for the end user...
Unread 04-05-2024, 01:25 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,968 Times in 754 Posts

Never use the services only food I get to go is pizza and Chinese and I pick it up.
Unread 04-05-2024, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

...because this was the most pressing issue in Florida.

smh
Unread 04-05-2024, 05:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,667 Times in 1,504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
...because this was the most pressing issue in Florida.

smh
One of the gov's greatest accomplishment. 😏
Unread 04-05-2024, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Never use the services only food I get to go is pizza and Chinese and I pick it up.
So why weigh in.....you have neither experience or skin in the game. Why?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Unread 04-05-2024, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,667 Times in 1,504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
So why weigh in.....you have neither experience or skin in the game. Why?
Because he/she/they/them/it can? Just a guess.
Unread 04-06-2024, 04:16 AM

Whatever law is put into effect will not make a difference as far as the consumer is concern.
Delivery services and restaurants anyone that this law is targeted will make adjustments that will leave the consumer paying the same if not more.
This is just a waste of ink and paper.
Unread 04-06-2024, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
For lazy people that can’t get off their couch. No wonder the world has gotten so fat. Maybe try cooking something wholesome? Just a thought…
Unread 04-06-2024, 07:06 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
When I was sick and could leave the house. I ordered from one of the companies and it was ridiculous the price increase of the items. I don’t use them unless I really feeling the need. I also see increases in price on instant cart so I don’t use them either. If you want your fees, put it straight fees and you want delivery charge straight delivery charge but to up charge all the items is ridiculous so I’m glad they passed us.
Unread 04-06-2024, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eg_cruz View Post
When I was sick and could leave the house. I ordered from one of the companies and it was ridiculous the price increase of the items. I don’t use them unless I really feeling the need. I also see increases in price on instant cart so I don’t use them either. If you want your fees, put it straight fees and you want delivery charge straight delivery charge but to up charge all the items is ridiculous so I’m glad they passed us.
I'm confused. Are you saying that, because Florida passed a law, the prices will be reduced?
Unread 04-06-2024, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Lost here amid all the thinly-veiled jerking of knees is the fact that this law accomplishes one very important thing.

Quality control.

Before this law the restaurant had no control, once their food was picked up by an independent driver, whether or not the cost of that food was going to have an arbitrary "delivery price" that was different (more) than what the restaurant charged, or the state of that food once delivered. I know of no other delivery system that does NOT contain mechanisms to assure those two things. Get a busted package from Amazon? You don't call the driver (or the post office if they were the deliverer) you contact AMAZON. You're also not going to have to pay more for your food than the restaurant charges, simply because the deliverer has it for a different price. Before this, the customer simply had no recourse regarding quality of food once delivered, poor delivery practices or having to pay more than the restaurant would charge.

This, from ABC Action News, Tampa Bay:

"I'm hoping being able to directly contact the customer is going to boost our sales a lot...If it was me and I was ordering from a restaurant and my order didn't come as I wanted it or didn't come on time, I would want to hear from the manager or owner that they're trying to make it right, and that would entice me to give them another chance," Camper said."

This law in effect makes the deliverer more answerable to the restaurant. I cannot see anything negative in that.

Tags
delivery, food, app, law, order

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.