FREE from Bonefish Grill

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2018, 08:31 AM

I was recently upcharged for a house salad for lunch at Bonefish after the waiter said it could be substituted out instead of fries.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:46 AM

Geeze -- Martinis are supposed to come with olives and I do not care what they are stuffed with since the restaurant probably already got an upcharge for premium booze. Are you going to get a credit if you tell them you want it without the garnish which I often do.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
This is a timely note. We, with another couple went to Bone Fish as we had not been there for awhile. Both my wife and I had a simple white fish dinner. My wife also had the mash patatoe and a veg. We were charged $80 with tip. Neither of us drink other than a soda. I saved the bill and after a few days, being bored decided to take a look at the bill which I had put in my pocket. I found my wife was charged 40 cents for the veg and we were both charged 2.99 for our soda's. WOW, $80 for 2 simple white fish dinners and a couple of soda's. They were filled so I guess people don't care about costs. $80 just seems like a lot. I know most readers will say then go there. They are absolutely right.
As they say "first time shame on you, 2nd time shame on me"..!!
Hey, you just described some of the reasons I haven't gone to that joint in years. My last visit was when I discovered that they served me their fish fry made with Tilapia. Yuk! Overpriced and with few exceptions, quality is at best OK. The fact that they are frequently filled is a testimony to a basic lack of discretion by their regular patrons.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
I don't care if the olives are stuffed with caviar. If you charge a certain price for a martini, the olive is part of the drink. What a marketing blunder.
I can see if you ask for Bombay Gin. You expect an extra charge.
I really like Bombay. The botanicals are great. I always say, if it’s good enough for the queen, it’s good enough for me. Not the (extra proof) Bombay Sapphire, though. It’s like fire water.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:45 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
I really like Bombay. The botanicals are great. I always say, if it’s good enough for the queen, it’s good enough for me. Not the (extra proof) Bombay Sapphire, though. It’s like fire water.
I'm a Bombay dry guy. If I must, I must.....I can dew Sapphire.

Must have two olives..............the Bride always gets one.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
I think you should go in there when it is very busy, present your card for the free olive and ask for a box to take it home in.
Me too!

BTW - There may be an upcharge for the box.

I find Bonefish to be expensive but always had a good meal there.

Waiting to see if Bluefin is better.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-31-2018, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Up charge for stuffed olives, I got an answer for that. Next time we go there I will stuff some stuffed olives in a ziplock bag and stuff the bag in my pocket before going in for dinner. When they bring my martini, Hendricks gin is my preference, I will un stuff the olives from the bag stuffed in my pocket and stuff them into the drink, with no up charge. That way, Bonefish can stuff it!
Old 08-31-2018, 08:20 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
I think you should go in there when it is very busy, present your card for the free olive and ask for a box to take it home in.
If you do this, you should keep a close eye on the process. Your Olive might be stuffed with more than you want.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Does a quarter really matter? I have no problem paying an upcharge for blue cheese stuffed olives.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:09 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
Does a quarter really matter? I have no problem paying an upcharge for blue cheese stuffed olives.
It's not the quarter, it's the sarcastic manner in which his complaint was handled.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:48 AM
Gold member

Quote:
It's not the quarter, it's the sarcastic manner in which his complaint was handled.
He complained about an olive and got a free one in return. What else did he want for such a petty complaint?
Old 09-01-2018, 07:51 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
He complained about an olive and got a free one in return. What else did he want for such a petty complaint?
But they have now lost a customer over an olive. I am sure this could have been handled better especially if it was not specified on the menu or explained by the server. Most restaurants will tell you ahead of time if there is an upcharge.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,619 Times in 5,198 Posts

Obviously. The manager's job is to keep customers, not insult them.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:04 AM

If they're charging $10.00 for a drink, I think 25 cents is excessive. Maybe if the price of the drink was reasonable in the first place, i would not object to the 25 cents. But for 10 bucks give the guy a stuffed olive..
Old 09-01-2018, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

When I read things like this I always wonder exactly how this came about. Could it be that Bonefish enjoys such a following that the manager thought he could be insensitive and rude? NO ONE has that many customers!!!
I always feel that the manager of a restaurant should mimic the host at anyone's home and be hospitable and welcoming and try to address complaints with patience and kindness.

However I have read many instances on this forum where people expected to be compensated with a free meal or drink over a somewhat sketchy claim of things not up to expectations. Some people could complain about a missing olive and the manager could not help himself and offer a free meal. On other occasions with the customer being loud and obnoxious and completely unrealistic, I would pat the manager on the back for not saying please don't come back. I think the one free olive on his card was...…….not a good choice.

BUT.....I think that at my age, I would last about fifteen minutes being a server or manager in any of The Villages restaurants. Whew. SOME Villagers can be tough and unrealistic.

I googled upcharge for a stuffed olive with a martini and came up with a couple of hits, so it may be a done more than I would have thought. I am sure that Bonefish must have it in their computer as an upcharge, a corporate decision to be fair.(I think it is a dumb one)

Here is my google results;Extra charge for stuffed olives with a martini - Bing

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-01-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
martini, charged, $10, back, great

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.