On the water restaurants

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Default On the water restaurants

Hello,
We have relatives coming in from out of town. We would like to take them to a special restaurant on the water. We have already taken them to Gator Joe's.
I read about Black Water on St John's River. Have anyone tried them?
Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

Thanks, jullie
Old 10-23-2009, 12:52 PM

Don't forget Stumpknocker's. It's a small river but it is water and the food is very good.
Bon Appetit
South Amboy, NJ
St. Louis, MO
St. Charles, MO
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

"What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about"?
Old 10-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Pisces Rising in Mt Dora, not right on the lake (across the street) but great lake views and very good food.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Platinum member

I'll "endorse" both The Blackwater Inn and Stumpknockers. The only problem with either of them is the distance from TV. Both have a great atmosphere and great food, too!

I cannot comment on Pisces Rising because I've not been there, but it does carry a superior reputation!

SWR
Old 10-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:22 AM

Blackwater is very worth while the almost two hour drive. Stumpknockers is closer and more of a dive (not drive) but is oh so good. The flying fish in Mt Dora is over priced.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Eternal Member

Harbor Lights. Only about 45 minutes south off 75. Great weekend buffets with crab & frog legs included. All fresh & home made foods. Cute little spot.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:17 AM
Veteran member

Try JC's Lobster Pot on 44 outside deland. It is always packed. havent been there in awhile, hope it is still open.

http://jcslobsterpot.com/

Money out
Old 10-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jullie View Post
Hello,
We have relatives coming in from out of town. We would like to take them to a special restaurant on the water. We have already taken them to Gator Joe's.
I read about Black Water on St John's River. Have anyone tried them?
Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

Thanks, jullie
Julie,

In my humble opinion, in these parts, "special" restaurants and "on the water are mutually exclusive". Although I have never been to the JC Lobster Pot I can make some educated past experience comments about some of the other recommendations:

There is absolutely nothing special about any of the places you've been directed to. (Have to admit my description of special may be a bit different than others as I don't like Dives, Motorcycle stops, mediocre food etc). Also need to tell you that The Blackwater is two hours away only by Golf Cart and less than an hour if driving at a reasonable rate within the speed limit in a car. Actually, of all the ideas you've been given, The Blackwater is probably the best of all "the special on the water" places referenced. I say this only after assuming that you view Gators Dockside as "special".

The are a lot of "not on the water " places I'd prefer to take my guests to.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Default re: water seating

the new cody's opened were the former up the creek was. They have lake side seating, and if they like steaks they'll love it there.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenerside View Post
Blackwater is very worth while the almost two hour drive. Stumpknockers is closer and more of a dive (not drive) but is oh so good. The flying fish in Mt Dora is over priced.
We have relatives visiting for the holidays. My choice was a half day in Deland, but we wound up driving to the Blackwater Inn, Astor, FL--on the St. John's River. (They advertise in The Daily Sun.) It's about an hour's ride through the Ocala National Forest. Blackwater Inn doesn't open until 4:30 PM but Williams Landing, a casual place right above Blackwater Inn was open for lunch. There's really nothing to see or do in Astor. Should have went with the original plan to visit Deland. If you're ever curious about Blackwater Inn, skip it. There are similar offerings on the water that are closer. Hurricane's comes to mind.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Veteran member

We love to eat at Crackers in Crystal River (less than an hour away). Food and service is good, beautiul waterfront views, and lots to do during the day prior to dinner (deep sea fishing boats leave from there, manatee tours are offered by many operators, you can rent canoes or kayaks from many places, scuba and snorkeling excursions, etc.).

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 12-23-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisj View Post
Julie,

In my humble opinion, in these parts, "special" restaurants and "on the water are mutually exclusive". Although I have never been to the JC Lobster Pot I can make some educated past experience comments about some of the other recommendations:

There is absolutely nothing special about any of the places you've been directed to. (Have to admit my description of special may be a bit different than others as I don't like Dives, Motorcycle stops, mediocre food etc). Also need to tell you that The Blackwater is two hours away only by Golf Cart and less than an hour if driving at a reasonable rate within the speed limit in a car. Actually, of all the ideas you've been given, The Blackwater is probably the best of all "the special on the water" places referenced. I say this only after assuming that you view Gators Dockside as "special".

The are a lot of "not on the water " places I'd prefer to take my guests to also.

Good luck!
Hey borisj. Your assessment is right on the mark. (that's a pun) Following these recommendations may get you near water but that's where the culinary experience will end. Mediocre is the proper descriptive adjective.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:35 AM

Cracker's in Crystal River the Grouper fingers are fantastic.

The Freezer in Homosassa go on Sunday they have fantastic shrimp and chicken wings.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Veteran member
Default restaurants on the water

We enjoy J.J. Boondocks in Howey In The Hills...on Little Lake Harris. A little hard to find, but if you look up their website, it will give directions.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.