Gandolfo's strikes again

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2011, 01:27 AM
Veteran member
Unhappy Gandolfo's strikes again

There was a coupon in the paper last week that was for buy a sandwich get second for $1. A few days later I saw one for buy a half-sandwich get a second half-sandwich for $1 which I assumed was a follow up due to the popularity of the first. Neither coupon had an expiration date. I went in today with the first coupon and was told that it was a mistake made by the newspaper, that I could only get a $1 half-sandwich. I asked why was i responsible for the newspaper's mistake and was told, sorry but they would not honor it.
This is the second time that I have had a problem with them. When they first opened I was charged extra for salt, pepper, and mayo. The owner did respond and offered me a free meal which I didn't accept because the point of my posting was to let him know how dissatisfied people would be at being "nickled and dimes" to death. It was not to get a free meal. I have been back several times after that because they do make a really good sandwich. However, I do think that they should have honored my coupon.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:01 AM

In these times where a small business can barely make ends meet, I would give the store a break and let it slide. (Enough stores are closing because they can't make ends meet) No one owes you anything. Newspapers make mistakes all the time. If you truly like the restaurant then let people know. The manager tried to do right by you and that should be enough. Life's too short to get upset over such a trivial matter.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:31 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I think the mistake was by the paper. When they made the new coupon, the Sun should have stated that the previous coupon was in error and that this was the correct coupon. I'm glad you're still going there. I do give Gandolfo's credit -- they do try to make their customers happy and do listen to complaints and suggestions.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-13-2011, 08:31 AM
Founder

If you decided to sell your house for $150,000 and the newspaper made a mistake by listing it as $1,500, would you accept an offer of $1,500? I believe you might say, "the newspaper made a mistake." The prospective buyer might say, "I think they should honor the price listed in the paper."
Old 02-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Taltarzac

Went to Gandolfo's about a week ago for takeout. My meat ball sandwich was very good but the other two people in my party did not care for their salads and will not go back again.

Many of the ingredients promised in the menu for the salads were not there.

They do not compare very well with Crispers as far as their salads are concerned.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Default Gandolfos

Feel sorry for this business enterprise, but it was so obvious at the start that the high prices charged by this eatery for a sandwich would probably not make it. They are surrounded by cheaper, good subs at Subway, Crispers, Giovanni's, and even Publix. I made one visit for a chicken salad sandwich. No chips, not even a pickle, and a carryout sandwich was $7.95. Sandwich was excellent, but too much money. New Jersey Mike's had the best idea. Right away, as soon as they opened, they had offers on the Buffalo Booster card, newspapers, and local free magazine-type handouts. I was there last week and their business was booming!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Gold member

I've been to Gandolfos for breakfast sandwiches with extra meat and the cost was less than $5.00 and the coffee was free. A pretty good value if you ask me. I hope they survive.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 02-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Eternal Member

Have ordered takeout several times from Gandolfos and have never been disappointed. Good value for the size portions they serve.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Default Bad Experience

Called Gandolfo’s this past Monday at about 7:15 pm to see if they were open. They answered and said they were open till 8. Got there around 7:35 and found the doors locked. Looked in through the windows and everything was put away and cleaned up. One of the workers was sitting outside and said they were closed, I mentioned I had just called, etc. She called and someone came to the door and let us in. Said they haven’t had any business all day to speak of and haven’t sold anything in the last 2 hours or so prompting them to close down under direction of the owner (s). We were asked what we wanted and started to place our order but found they were out of most everything, so we left with a bad taste in our mouths.

jfk
Old 06-01-2011, 07:11 PM

Looks like the writting is on the wall for another business unable to survive. Might be too late to revamp a business at this point.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:04 PM

I do enjoy the food, the problem I have had there is waiting. It seems the owner or manager doesnt have enough help behind the counter making the food. This past Sunday I went in around 9 am and was the only one in line. Ordered 2 bagels with cream cheese. Bagels were put in the toaster then wham! Customers started coming in. So the bagels sat in the toaster while the only person there took order after order until 5 or 6 were backed up. Then about 15 minutes later I got my bagels. The times Ive been there for lunch it seems about the same. Like I said, I like the food but the service does suck.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_foye View Post
I do enjoy the food, the problem I have had there is waiting. It seems the owner or manager doesnt have enough help behind the counter making the food. This past Sunday I went in around 9 am and was the only one in line. Ordered 2 bagels with cream cheese. Bagels were put in the toaster then wham! Customers started coming in. So the bagels sat in the toaster while the only person there took order after order until 5 or 6 were backed up. Then about 15 minutes later I got my bagels. The times Ive been there for lunch it seems about the same. Like I said, I like the food but the service does suck.
We have had the same experience. I've owned a small business. If you are the least bit competent, things always run better if you are "hand's on" during the operation. It's called quality control.
I have often wondered why anyone would go to the effort and investment to set up a business and then not participate further. Getting it up and running is only the beginning. The commitment to quality must be there, especially in the service industry.
A little effort is certainly cheaper than dealing with the residue after it's gone down the tubes.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Looks like the writting is on the wall for another business unable to survive. Might be too late to revamp a business at this point.
I agree Brewster. Especially when Tal said that salad was missing ingredients. They don't seem to have enough money to function well and continue.

Looks like another business unable to survive the summer, the slow season. That is Florida's curse to eateries.

Last edited by graciegirl; 06-02-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Gold member

Just a humorous experience we had at Gandolfo's awhile back.
My wife and I stopped by to order take out sandwiches. There were no other customers in the store. The lady behind to counter told us to take a number, which we did, then she took our order. We stood there waiting for our food for a few minutes. Then the same lady who took our order came back to the counter and hollered "number 6" and stood there surveying the restaurant. There were still no other customers in sight. I sort of chuckled and gave her our number ticket and we were on our way.
Nothing bad happened, the food was fine, if was just funny.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:35 PM

Don't be so quick to write off Gandolfo's. The owner, Roger, just bought out his partners and is buying a catering truck. He's very accessible and should be told of any problems. He is working very hard to get this off the ground. He catered our night golf tournament on Tuesday for 60 people and it was wonderful. And only about $5.00 a head. Give the guy a break. We need more Mom & Pop locations (even if this is really a chain).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.