Picky eaters.

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Picky eaters.

I see a lot of different opinions here about restaurant food. Personally I think most of the country clubs serve decently tasting food for a reasonable price.

Sometimes I wonder what are the expectations for good food? And are you or anyone in your family a "picky eater"? Now I don't mean healthy diet choices, that doesn't count here in my question. Just for fun, tell us what you hate...and please exclude the obvious gross stuff like worms etc.

I don't like most slaw bought in the deli, but love Cane Garden's slaw and also slaw at The Lighthouse. I only like my own potato salad...only.(?!)

There are some tropical fruits I have never tried..such as a pomagranite. (I think that is spelled wrong)

So tell us. What do you not like to eat? What have you never tried?

Do you live with a picky eater? Do you have friends who almost always send food back at a restaurant?
Old 12-18-2011, 09:09 AM
Veteran member

No brussel sprouts for me. Or green beans. Anything else is fair game.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 12-18-2011, 09:17 AM
Sage

Diddo on the brussel sprouts! Don't like store bought salads, they seem to put a foreign mayo on them. One exception...a little mom and pop store near us...Lewis's. They make the best salads...real mayo. Not a fan of fish either. We eat fairly healthy, no fried foods, not a lot of fats, so I could be a "picky" eater. All sweets are fair game....I know that's not healthy and they are fatty! I usually bake and give most of it away, so all of you that get to know me will probably be getting home made baked goodies some day! Happy eating....
Old 12-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Veteran member

No beets.... no hummus !

Aside from that............

ps I like KFC'S slaw!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 12-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Platinum member

I like most things when they are cleaned/cooked properly and presented well. Visuals are a big thing for me.
Can't do lamb however.... had a next door neighbor who boiled mutton regularly during my pregnancy. (a LONG time ago) Never quite got over the smell.

Also, I can't do passionfruit. They're pretty on the outside, but people cut them open and eat the contents with a spoon. No way could I do that.

Can't do anything that includes ingredients like beaks and feet either.... guess I am picky, huh?

Oh!Oh! and I can't bite the head off a crawdad and do whatever sucking thing you're supposed to do! (sorry, my cajun friends!)
Old 12-18-2011, 09:40 AM

Unfortunately I'm very fussy about fruits: I don't like any berries, the only melon I eat is watermelon, OJ but not oranges (don't like pulp), apple pie but not apples (strange, I know), pears but not cooked and must be hard, no grapes, no plums, peaches, I do eat a banana a day. i know I'm missing out on some very nutritious things- but who can explain the way our minds work?
Old 12-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Gold member

Gracie, you always start interesing threads. Love it!

When eating out, I don't like luke warm soup. Like it hot.

Like my food hot as well, not cooled down from sitting under hot lights.

When I go to a salad bar, I like the plates cool not hot from the dishwasher.

Not a fried food fan.

Am I picky? Yeah guess I am,

I love to cook and feel blessed that I can go to the grocery store and buy what I want and make people fabulous food.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:47 AM
Gold member

No bell peppers of any color, other than that will try anything once.
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Home Protection Instructor
Retired Army Military Police Investigator - 20 years, 4 months, 13 days
Retired Deputy Sheriff/Corrections Officer
IDPA Safety Officer Instructor
All skill is in vain when an Angel weewees in the flintlock of your musket.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Veteran member

Another great thread Gracie. My honey is a very picky eater. His mantra regarding food is "no green, no marine, no embellishments!"
Old 12-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Veteran member
Default ducati1974

at least you won't get too much fruit sugar! My husband used to eat alot of fruit and then after much researching he decided to cut out his fruit and get his VIt C from other sources and it has really helped him keep his blood sugar under control. No more sleepy afternoons! I think that moderation is the best but he has a hard time with that so cutting out works better for him.

He is a picky eater but he does like my liver and onions which I got from a Mme. Benoit recipe.... cut like french fries and just sauted lightly (still slightly pink) in the pan and served with piles of onions. Can't get him to like brussel sprouts though he did eat them if I cooked them well and added lots of butter and salt. Haven't done that for ages though.

Keep well

LW888
Old 12-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Don't like tripe, liver (except fresh deer liver), sweet breads, frie gra, duck, most pate or Duran fruit. Not a fan of snails or a few types of sushi. Most everything else is fine.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Eternal Member

Gracie
For me it is breakfast eggs. They have to be scrambled and dry or an omelet. I cannot stand runny scrambled eggs and don't even try poached or sunny side up (or over easy) as they will be left on the plate as delivered.

As far as meats go, liver of any type is not eatable. Also not a fan of wild meats such as rabbit or dear. Lamb depending it is prepared. Absolutely no chitlins.

In the seafood category I will stay away from anything raw. No oysters on the half shell but deep fried are okay. Seafood has to be broiled, fried or in a chowder.

On the veggie side I am not a fan of zucchini not matter how it is prepared (that includes zucchini bread). I also stay away from egg plant. And whoever dreamed up guacamole was not well and I never touch that stuff unless it is to move it to the side of the plate as needed. Anything else goes as long as there is butter to add or kill taste as needed.

Now that comes from someone that knows the business end of the soup spoon and has not idea as to what an exercise regiment is.

VG
Old 12-18-2011, 10:56 AM
Gold member

All organ meats - yuck.
Alfredo sauce - retch.
Carrots - Forgetaboutit.
Those slimy mushrooms in Chinese takeout - Even the dog hates them.
Just about anything else is good (including Brussels Sprouts - especially after being halved, marinated in garlic olive oil and grilled!)
Old 12-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
No brussel sprouts for me. Or green beans. Anything else is fair game.
Forgot to add no organ meats: No liver, no tripe, no tongue, no sweetbreads, no blood sausage. Nope, won't do it.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 12-18-2011, 12:03 PM

Yeah, I've got to agree on the organ meats, liver is a filter people! Not a big fan of mustard, dill pickles (although I put both in potato salad). I am a slaw snob, I do like a slaw that is slightly sweet and just a touch of mayo, no vinegar and I like my own or my husband's though. Love most everything vegetable; brussel sprouts are a real treat, cut in half and sauteed w/shallots in olive oil..yum! Don't like the heavy sauces that a lot of meals seem to be served with when you go to a restaurant...seems like the food should be good without it, although I do like a nice bearnaise sauce with my steak. Love all fruits, and I think it's fun pounding on a pomegranate to get to the yummy "seeds", but if you're not up to it, you can buy them already removed and ready to eat. I hear a lot from some of my friends that they hate left overs....but I am so glad that we do.....some flavors just get better!!! Great thread!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.