Good Chinese Food

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1921 View Post
Not Chinese but Thai Rubi in Sumter Landing is pretty good and like an earlier poster said - good is the highest rating for the villages
Ate there last week. Pretty bad actually except the soup.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrilee View Post
I want chow mein like in Boston... white celery bamboo shoots and noodles on bottom!! What is the chow mein here!! I’ve thought of calling Kowloons and shipping a crate frozen here but ridiculous idea.
I believe that Kowloon has closed.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpuleo View Post
For more good Chinese food, try Sakura in Spanish Springs--it is hibatchi and is excellent and you get plenty of food for a decent price.
Sakura is a Japanese restaurant.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1921 View Post
Not Chinese but Thai Rubi in Sumter Landing is pretty good and like an earlier poster said - good is the highest rating for the villages
We got take out from there a few months ago. I will never eat there again. The worst Thai food I've ever had.

It's difficult to find Thai restaurants in this area. Even driving to Ocala or Orlando. There just don't seem to be a lot of Thai.

We search all over the Asian area on West Colonial Drive in Orlando and couldn't find Thai.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Near the Hilltop?
The Hilltop is closed. Kowloon is a few miles south of where The Hilltop once stood.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipplepi View Post
last week order out from Sakura big disappointment
5 pieces of meat 8 peas very expensive.
used to eat in then ,orders were great What happened ?

Bronx boy! Pizza next..,
We've ordered dinner to take out twice since the pandemic and it was great both times.

What did you order?

Old 08-20-2020, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
We got take out from there a few months ago. I will never eat there again. The worst Thai food I've ever had.

It's difficult to find Thai restaurants in this area. Even driving to Ocala or Orlando. There just don't seem to be a lot of Thai.

We search all over the Asian area on West Colonial Drive in Orlando and couldn't find Thai.
Ever been to Kayame? Find the Thai food to be excellent.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Cheng's carry out is packaged in the extreme. Tight fitting containers for soup and meals and bagged in a way for easy transport. And good Chinese food to boot.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:54 PM

I spent 40 weekends a year - for 2 years - in Chinatown NY accompanied by a Taiwan born and raised (for 35 years before coming to America) companion. We ordered all our meals from the script lining the walls near the ceiling - never from a menu and not from anything written in English. That's my background related to "chinese" dining.

Like many posters have stated before me - there is no good Asian dining in the bubble. My apologies to the Koyame lovers - IMHO Koyame is just ok. When I'm desperate I will go there - all the other bubble bowls are lousy. I've been to most of them and won't return.

I haven't been to Yummy House (yet) or the Orlando circuit.

Best thing to do is try all these places for yourself - that's the only way to find what will work for you.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioman419 View Post
Yummy House in Ocala. Just off I-75 on Rte. 200. EXCELLENT!
Have you been to the dine in part lately? I would be interested to know how they are handling distancing/masks/gloves, etc. For instance, at Carabba's two weeks ago (went for lunch with bubble friend), the servers were wearing masks and gloves. The girl at the front desk was wearing a mask too, but then she tried to seat us in a booth right behind another party. We asked for a table across the room. They did not appear to have any tables or booths blocked off. However, there were few people there, or we wouldn't have stayed.

I would like to give Yummy a try. Their menu looks great. But I don't want to drive 40 minutes to get takeout.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Ever been to Kayame? Find the Thai food to be excellent.
I've never been to Koyame many times. I love their Chinese food. I think I ordered Pad Thai once and wasn't happy with it.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I've never been to Koyame many times. I love their Chinese food. I think I ordered Pad Thai once and wasn't happy with it.
Me too. I've been there once and had pad Thai. It was very tasteless.

I would go back to try other dishes.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:35 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Most Villagers will only support restaurants that are CHEAP, probably the best quality with consistent fast is Panda Express. There are several Chinese sit down restaurants no styrofoam in Orlando and Tampa but you must leave the bubble.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Me too. I've been there once and had pad Thai. It was very tasteless.

I would go back to try other dishes.
We are all very different. My wife loves their pad Thai. I find their Thai chicken to be excellent not too spicy just enough.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:39 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Thai Ruby is the most bland Thai I've ever tasted. Certainly dumbed down for what they think Villagers want. FACT OF LIFE: As we get older our taste buds decrease. MORE spice adds flavor we can taste.

Making Pad Thai at home is not difficult. Rice noodles, dry roasted peanuts, Thai Kitchen Pad Thai sauce, Green Onion, a package of cole slaw mix or Asian salad mix sans the dressing., shrimp and chicken cut into bite size pieces, and a squeeze of lime at the end and you have it. Add whatever chili pepper you'd like or some fresh ginger and garlic.

Tags
good, chinese, food, bamboo, bistro

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.