The Great Chicago Fire Brewery & Tap Room

The Great Chicago Fire Brewery & Tap Room

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 08-31-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
It's a Chicago thing.
Exactly! You either get it or you don't.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:02 PM
Veteran member

We were there last week. It seemed they really were not ready. No diet soft drinks and out of at least one entree. Had the sausage. It was OK but nothing really special. The bun was too big or the sausage was too small.

The aluminum chairs are terrible. If you sit back you can't sit up straight and if you sit on the edge you are completely uncomfortable. The design on the aluminum tables could give you a headache.

We'll give it another try in a month or so after they have time to get better organized.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2016, 09:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcdonald View Post
We were there last week. It seemed they really were not ready. No diet soft drinks and out of at least one entree. Had the sausage. It was OK but nothing really special. The bun was too big or the sausage was too small.

The aluminum chairs are terrible. If you sit back you can't sit up straight and if you sit on the edge you are completely uncomfortable. The design on the aluminum tables could give you a headache.

We'll give it another try in a month or so after they have time to get better organized.
They are going to get their buns from the Turano Baking Co., a Bewyn IL bakery and a standard for Italian sausage and beef sandwiches. However, if the sausage doesn't fill the bun, who cares. The Italian beef sandwich I had was plenty full and delicious. I'm trying the sausage next visit.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:18 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcdonald View Post

Even though they've been open since August 6th, it did seem like they weren't quite ready yet. Not sure if it's management inexperience, under capitalization, or both. It's also difficult to believe that six tables could possibly support a business. The aluminum tables and aluminum seats seemed out of place for a restaurant, even a brew pub like something you might pick up from Army surplus. Unless of course that's also a Chicago thing that was lost on me. I had the $8 combo sausage and beef with gardinera. It was tasty but would have been too much roll with just the sausage. We had planned to try Great Chicago Fire with another couple. When we left we said, good thing we tried it first because it was a disappointment. As I said in my first post, we wish them every success.

Last edited by REDCART; 08-31-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
It's a Chicago thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodielife View Post
Exactly! You either get it or you don't.

Used to be you could get a great Italian Beef sandwich just about anywhere in Chicagoland; but that was many many years ago for me. Attempts around TV have all failed, will be back in about a month, hope this place is the real deal.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 08-31-2016, 09:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Went there last Tuesday on the way back from a TSA enrollment appointment at MCO. We had the Italian beef and Chicago style dog.. They were both excellent. I requested a jumbo Chicago style dog as a no extra cost option. Will try the Italian sausage and gyro next as this will be a destination food stop.
Chi-Town, You don't put ketchup on your Chicago style hot dog do you?
Old 08-31-2016, 09:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmac321 View Post
... and am not sure they have air conditioning. Food was OK but no Portello's. We were at the new Tampa Portillo's and a worker there told us that Orlando would be getting 2 Portillos in 17.
mmac, If Portillos opened a restaurant in The Villages, I think that is another place that would make boatloads of $$$$.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:21 AM
Sage

I'll take a Aurelio's Pizza

Locations | Aurelio's Pizza - Naperville

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 09-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
mmac, If Portillos opened a restaurant in The Villages, I think that is another place that would make boatloads of $$$$.
Put it in Luigino's spot in SS.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:28 PM
Platinum member

Had lunch there today. Good sandwich, the staff were very nice folks. Hope they do well.

Tags
brewery, chicago, great, room, tap