Denny's on 441 in TV

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2020, 12:05 PM
Default Denny's on 441 in TV

We had breakfast at Denny's this morning, which was good. When I went to pay with my debit card the lady told me it had been rejected and i had to use another card, which I then gave her another card which was fine. When I got home I checked my account and found out that they had lied to me and my debit card had cleared and was charged. I returned to Denny's and ask for a debit to my account which they would NOT give me. Now I have paid for my meal 2 times and they won't credit my account back for the one they said did not clear. I called the bank and they told me I had to get a credit from Denny's, which Denny's refuses to do. These people are crooks and are lying to people in order to charge two times for the same bill. I will never go back to Denny's and recommend people watch them and how they charge you.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:15 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Simple, bounce the credit card charge.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:21 PM
Gold member

Document both charges. Call their Corporate Office and report the incident, especially the location and manager that refused to credit you back.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427dave View Post
We had breakfast at Denny's this morning, which was good. When I went to pay with my debit card the lady told me it had been rejected and i had to use another card, which I then gave her another card which was fine. When I got home I checked my account and found out that they had lied to me and my debit card had cleared and was charged. I returned to Denny's and ask for a debit to my account which they would NOT give me. Now I have paid for my meal 2 times and they won't credit my account back for the one they said did not clear. I called the bank and they told me I had to get a credit from Denny's, which Denny's refuses to do. These people are crooks and are lying to people in order to charge two times for the same bill. I will never go back to Denny's and recommend people watch them and how they charge you.
You didn't mention whether the second card you used was a debit or credit card. There is a huge difference between debit and credit cards with respect to your legal rights. When you use a credit card, you can dispute a charge and the bank must immediately credit your account and investigate the issue. This is required by Federal law. But, if both cards you used were debit cards, then you are stuck with whatever rules the bank has decided to use for debit card disputes. That is why using a debit card is almost never a good idea.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:12 PM
Sage

Do yourself a favor shred all debit cards in your possession--very dangerous to give strangers access to your bank account
Old 02-27-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Do yourself a favor shred all debit cards in your possession--very dangerous to give strangers access to your bank account
You usually need a Debit card to receive cash at the ATM or even at the Teller.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Agree. With credit cards if you have a disputed charge they process an immediate credit and if your number is stolen you have zero liability with most issurers.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:58 PM
Sage

My bank provides me with an ATM card & in this world what do you need cash for? You are literally p--ing thousands of $$ a year by paying cash-if you pay your credit car on auto pay nothing to work about--5% back for groceries, 3% back dining out , 1.65% on all other purchases and other variable cash back when using your car ,5% back for streaming & cell services --believe me cash in this day & age is dumb
Old 02-27-2020, 09:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
My bank provides me with an ATM card & in this world what do you need cash for? You are literally p--ing thousands of $$ a year by paying cash-if you pay your credit car on auto pay nothing to work about--5% back for groceries, 3% back dining out , 1.65% on all other purchases and other variable cash back when using your car ,5% back for streaming & cell services --believe me cash in this day & age is dumb
There are exceptions. My hairdresser won't accept tips on a cc. Cash is required many times in foreign countries, esp. small villages, and a debit card that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee is a must.

If you get cash at an ATM using your cc, interest starts being charged from the time you take the money out. Plus you have to scour your bill to find that interest charge, because it's not included in the usual transaction part.

I like to tip in cash at places like my dog's groomer, because if you add it to the cc, they have to pay taxes on it.

Oftentimes we will pay cash for meals out rather than having a wait person whisk away our cc.

OP should call the cc company and dispute that charge since the debit people won't help him. He has already contacted the restaurant and verified that they won't help him. That will count with the cc company.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:36 AM
Default Chatbat - need for cash

cash is still need to pay many things, purchase from private individuals, such as in classified items m Facebook marketplace. Small tips for bellhops, cleaning clubs, some parking venues, I also give a tip to the airline attendants serving drinks, purchased my golf cart with cash (I was able to get the deal rather than someone else wanting them to meet at a bank). I

Quote:
Old 02-28-2020, 05:45 AM
Default Denny’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427dave View Post
Call or write to the corporate office:

Denny's Address
203 E. Main St.
Spartanburg, SC
Contact
John Miller
Role
CEO and Director
Phone
(864) 597-8000
Old 02-28-2020, 05:55 AM

Stop the payment on the 2nd card. I've disputed charges and had them reversed on my Visa... Just have your documented proof they charged twice on 2 different cards.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
The credit card companies wouldn't and couldn't exist if people weren't carrying balances month to month. So, even with "cash back" or "points", they're making out just fine. I always pay my full CC balances each month, but lots don't. And the card issuers are doing great.

Additionally, in some areas/states, gasoline is higher if paid with a credit card vs. a debit card. Some might find the difference negligible, but we seem to judge price differences on percentages and in context to what something would otherwise cost, vs. the actual $$ of what we pay with one method vs. another. If a fill-up is going to cost $2.00 more with a CC vs. a debit card, that leads to debit card purchases.

I will use my CC wherever I can for purchases because of the protection factor and the points, such as they are. But I'm not ditching the debit card. I do have digital notifications set up on my debit card where any purchase/transaction over $5 triggers a text or email to me. I can lower that $5, of course. But I would know instantly if my card was hit.

For the previous poster's "tipping" issue - I tip in cash, not with a CC or debit card. Of course, it takes cash to tip in cash, and that comes from a debit card, in my case. I'm thinking most people who work in a business where tips would be expected would - if ranking the choices - prefer cash tips vs. something on any kind of card where they would have to wait (and hope) for management to disburse the tips.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:04 AM

Absolutely!
Old 02-28-2020, 06:26 AM

Good advice. Debit cards never leave your hand.
Closed Thread

Tags
dennys, card, account, people, debit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.