warren kiefer

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Gold member
Default warren kiefer

My wife and I were so disappointed with our first visit to the speckled butterbean restaurant. Over priced at $10.95 and food only so so.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
My wife and I were so disappointed with our first visit to the speckled butterbean restaurant. Over priced at $10.95 and food only so so.
Warren, where did you live before coming to TV?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Hi Warren, Welcome to TOTV! Yes, we were disappointed with Speckled Butterbean also and won't be returning. It just SOUNDS so good. It SHOULD be good. But it's not.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:45 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default uS TOO

Quote:

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 04-25-2011, 07:57 AM
Veteran member

I have heard it is mostly canned veggies on the buffet with too much salt in everything. The fried chicken is supposed to be good - but is also very greasy. I am not planning to go there.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Send a message via AIM to Zass38

Old 04-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Platinum member

We've been there once... that was enough. I agree... overpriced and just so-so! Should be better!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
We ate there for the first time during the last weekend of Bikefest in Leesburg. I can assure you that there is no dress code in this place after what I saw in the buffet line! Looked like a bunch of hookers and their pimps! There were lots of families there, with young kids, and I can't imagine what the parents were thinking. Those bikers should have been turned away at the door. It's a wonder some old man didn't have a heart attack after looking at so much skin! Our meal was not very good. If you want a really good buffet go to the Golden Corral. With so many menu choices I can't imagine that one would leave hungry or disappointed. I start with a nice salad and skirt the fried foods in favor of more healthy selections. For my money The Golden Corral is the best meal value in The Villages.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Veteran member

Sweet Tomato is open. Any one gone yet? I went to the one in Orlando a few years ago and it was great.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:43 AM

Wow... we TOTALLY had a different experience at the Speckled Butterbean!
The fried chicken was wonderful, hot, and NOT greasy. The mashed potatoes were REAL mashed potatoes. Brisket and ribs were tasteful and plentiful. The selections were limited...unlike the Golden Corral...which I will NEVER return to! Golden Corral was dirty and most of the selections were empty. The dessert bar was such a turnoff...food everywhere and the staff should have been cleaning it up instead of standing around with their hands in their pockets.
The SB had a very limited dessert bar which we were disappointed with but at least it was clean and neat.
I agree that the $10.95 price may be slightly elevated because the selections are limited compared to GC however I cannot eat at a place where the food is slopped all over everything.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G
Default Sweet tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
Sweet Tomato is open. Any one gone yet? I went to the one in Orlando a few years ago and it was great.
Great, been 6 times already.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:51 PM

For anyone who does not already know this, go to http://www.souplantation.com/clubveg/ and join their email club, they give a lot of nice coupons with $3-4 off a meal.

Richard and Lee in Tampa, for now.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Veteran member

Tried the Butterbean once and won't return. Food was just okay and not much selection for the money.

We're not big fans of Golden Corral having tried them in other cities. However, the GC in TV is actually very good. Much cleaner than others we've been in, good tasting food, great selection and a very nice salad bar.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Been there.done that !! My fried chicken had to be about three days old , We had a group of ten and I don't think anyone will be returning.....
Being born in Missouri , I don't cotton with anyone messing with my fried chicken.........(no kidding , it was tough and dry) the cold slaw was good but $10.95 is pretty steep for slaw.....
I really hate to to get on here and slam a restaurant but it was pretty common as my dad used to say.....I've heard some rave about the place so I may give them another chance sometime, anyone can have a bad day.....That is , anyone except me ....

drumstick fumar
Old 04-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Gold member

We've been to Speckled Butterbean many times for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Never had a problem. Usually it's just the bride and me but we've taken company there and they've been pleased too. The chicken is always good and never greasy.
It isn't Golden Corral and I don't expect a GC clone. I like GC too, especially the one in TV but sometimes I just prefer Speckled Butterbean, especially for breakfast.
It seems to be a cultural thing. People from the deep south seem to like SB. Those from other parts of the country often are less pleased, at least that the way it seems when talking with my neighbors.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.