Have to ask...Culver's

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2018, 11:34 AM
Sage
Default Have to ask...Culver's

Today is the day that Culver's is slated to open. While I'm excited for them to come...didn't want to chance a crowd the 1st day. Did anyone here go and try it??
Old 04-16-2018, 11:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Today is the day that Culver's is slated to open. While I'm excited for them to come...didn't want to chance a crowd the 1st day. Did anyone here go and try it??
My neighbor works at Ace Hardware and said that they gave their employees a free meal on Saturday. She really enjoyed her fish sandwich and the frozen custard. Culver's Menu | Butter Burger, Frozen Custard, Curds & More

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-16-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
My neighbor works at Ace Hardware and said that they gave their employees a free meal on Saturday. She really enjoyed her fish sandwich and the yogurt.
I'd thought about stopping by on Friday (there were cars in the extended parking lot) to see if they were having a "soft opening" but thought better of it! I saw another post of Habenaro's (sp) being open now too.!
Old 04-16-2018, 02:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
My neighbor works at Ace Hardware and said that they gave their employees a free meal on Saturday. She really enjoyed her fish sandwich and the yogurt.
Yogurt? Culvers doesn't serve yogurt. They serve frozen custard...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2018, 04:34 PM
Gold member

My wife and I went today at 4PM. Most difficult part was finding a parking place. Once that was completed we were greeted at the door and got in line to place our order. Less than 5 minutes to place our cod and shrimp dinner orders. You are then given a number (table cone) and the order is delivered. After 5 minutes an employee stopped and apologized for the additional wait due to the crowd. Surprisingly our wait was only 10 minutes considering the volume of people. The food was delicious and the large number of staff was friendly and competent. Being originally from Wisconsin, Culver’s home state, I have been to numerous Culver’s there, and a few in Florida. Always a great experience. A great addition to The Villages.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:26 PM

where are they located.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorhome View Post
where are they located.
Southern Trace Plaza on 466? I think?

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 04-16-2018, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorhome View Post
where are they located.
Since this thread started about Culver's, they are in the old Diary Queen and then of late, the Glitz Christmas store (see below). It's on 466 just before the second Shell Station across from bank row.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Habaneros Mexican Restaurant is in the shopping center behind Culver's with Publix, it's in the old Crisper's location on the west end.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:20 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

Will definitely make the trip as soon as the dust settles. Hope they have their chili here in FL. Today would be a good day......
Old 04-16-2018, 09:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
My wife and I went today at 4PM. Most difficult part was finding a parking place. Once that was completed we were greeted at the door and got in line to place our order. Less than 5 minutes to place our cod and shrimp dinner orders. You are then given a number (table cone) and the order is delivered. After 5 minutes an employee stopped and apologized for the additional wait due to the crowd. Surprisingly our wait was only 10 minutes considering the volume of people. The food was delicious and the large number of staff was friendly and competent. Being originally from Wisconsin, Culver’s home state, I have been to numerous Culver’s there, and a few in Florida. Always a great experience. A great addition to The Villages.
I am a native cheesehead but they did not have any of these in WI when I was there up through 1970. Long time ago though except for some side trips to see grandmother in central WI when I was in law school and the working in the U of MN Law Library (1986-late 1991).

Culver's - Wikipedia
Old 04-16-2018, 10:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
I am a native cheesehead but they did not have any of these in WI when I was there up through 1970. Long time ago though except for some side trips to see grandmother in central WI when I was in law school and the working in the U of MN Law Library (1986-late 1991).

Culver's - Wikipedia
You had to go to the original back in those days, I think. They didn't start the franchising for some years....I think the late 90's. NOW they're all over Wisconsin....I remember when they began to spread out a bit to other states but mostly in the midwest. LOVE that they finally made it to Florida!!!!
Old 04-17-2018, 05:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
You had to go to the original back in those days, I think. They didn't start the franchising for some years....I think the late 90's. NOW they're all over Wisconsin....I remember when they began to spread out a bit to other states but mostly in the midwest. LOVE that they finally made it to Florida!!!!
I never had a butter burger and cannot wait to find out what they taste like.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

For a single ButterBurger calorie content is only 360. A concrete mix starts at 600 calories and up, still not bad for fast food. Two piece fish calorie content is at 1475. For fried still in the ball park of normal fried food
Old 04-17-2018, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:

Culver's - Wikipedia
On the cover of Today's Daily Sun;

The Villages Florida

As a former resident of Wisconsin, Helen Feeney had been looking forward to the grand opening of Culver’s restaurant in The Villages.

“It was important that I show up on the first day,” said Feeney, a past president of the Lake Sumter chapter of the Wisconsin Club. “Now I don’t have to drive as far as Clermont.”

Feeney and other guests, which is what the restaurant’s staff calls its customers, gathered Monday at the location on Wedgewood Lane at Southern Trace Plaza to try some of its Midwest menu.

Culver’s was founded by Craig and Lea Culver, along with Craig’s parents, George and Ruth, in 1984 in Sauk City, Wisconsin. Since that time, it has expanded its reach to about half of America.

Owner and operator Shad Finley, originally from De Soto, Wisconsin, thought Culver’s and The Villages would be a perfect fit.

“I thought it would be a great addition to what The Villages has created here,” Finley said.

Finley previously worked at The Villages Insurance, but he found himself toying with the idea of running a restaurant.

“It’s a lot of fun,” he said. “The Culver’s brand is A-plus. We’re in the people business.”

Finley plans to get the restaurant involved in the community, giving back to various organizations and charities.

“We want to have a positive impact,” he said.

The restaurant’s signature frozen custard is made in small batches two times each day, kept at a cold temperature to make it smooth. The beef brought in from the Midwest is fresh, not frozen.

One of its frozen custard flavors gets the spotlight treatment every day. Today’s flavor is Peanut Butter Cup, while Wednesday’s is Oreo Overload.

In addition to burgers and frozen custard, Culver’s offers dinner plates including Atlantic cod, beef pot roast and chopped steak.

Guests were given a number for their order, and their food was brought to their table.

Finley’s mother, Shirley Walleser, came down from De Soto for opening day.

“Good food is important to people,” she said. “There’s nothing like Midwest meat and cheese.”

Feeney’s first meal at this Culver’s was its famous cheese curds, which are made from deep-fried yellow and white Wisconsin cheddar cheese, and some coffee.

“They’re wonderful,” said Feeney, of the Village of Orange Blossom Gardens. “I think they’re better than french fries.”

She planned to come back later in the day for a ButterBurger with cheese or some frozen custard.

At another table, Sandy Fystro got a ButterBurger with cheese, while her husband, Lloyd, got the North Atlantic Cod Filet sandwich and a Concrete Mixer frozen custard. Both were happy to see this Culver’s open.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:14 PM
Veteran member

Went yesterday around 5. Very crowded. Ordered a butter burger deluxe with cheese. Burger was pounded flat and grilled beyond recognition. So thin that it looked like a brown lace doily. Absolutely no flavor. Crinkle cut fries tasted like out of a bag from the freezer.
In their defense, it was EXTREMELY crowded. Will try again in a few weeks when things have calmed down.

Tags
day, culvers, 1st, crowd, chance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.