Have you eaten at the Food Trucks?

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2019, 07:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacjag View Post
Some citronella candles or torches would have been nice.
Excellent suggestion. Did you mention this to the folks who work at Edna's on the Green?
Old 09-23-2019, 05:09 PM

I just don't want to sit at a picnic table swatting flys while I’m trying eat. But that’s me
Old 09-23-2019, 06:30 PM
Platinum member

Especially this week...the lovebugs appear to be worse than usual. Could be the result of the very wet summer or the County cutting back on overnight spraying. But who really wants to share their dinner experience with the skeeters?
Old 10-10-2019, 06:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Who cares as long s the food is good! I don’t worry about stuff I can’t control or have no control over. Better than driving 5 to 10 miles or fighting the one restaurant in the area At fenney
Old 10-10-2019, 06:56 PM
Default Have you eaten at the Food Trucks?

I ate at food trucks during my working years because often I didn't have a choice, today I do, and I won't.
Besides, since when is eating at food trucks a "thing".

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears..."
George Orwell
Old 10-10-2019, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckndianne View Post
I did not work & save to get to the place where I could enjoy retirement by eating out of a food truck, outside, in the heat, sharing my food with bugs & mosquitoes.
Thankfully you don't have to. There are lots of places just for people like you. For everyone else, food trucks are a fun novelty at worst, and an amazing treat at best.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickg View Post
I just don't want to sit at a picnic table swatting flys while I’m trying eat. But that’s me
:
Old 10-10-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Thankfully you don't have to. There are lots of places just for people like you. For everyone else, food trucks are a fun novelty at worst, and an amazing treat at best.

The lack of any retail south of SR44 is the only reason those amazing treats are set up at all. People will tire of this novelty sooner rather than later.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears..."
George Orwell
Old 10-10-2019, 08:30 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Who cares as long s the food is good! I don’t worry about stuff I can’t control or have no control over. Better than driving 5 to 10 miles or fighting the one restaurant in the area At fenney
Totally agree!!! Wow... I just get so tired of all the whining....
Old 10-10-2019, 10:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We stopped in because Cousin’s truck was there. Lobster roll was excellent as always. For those who enjoy a good lobster roll it’s worth the $$. No bugs tonight that we noticed waited about 5 minutes for food, beer from Ednas was cold.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:41 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
We stopped in because Cousin’s truck was there. Lobster roll was excellent as always. For those who enjoy a good lobster roll it’s worth the $$. No bugs tonight that we noticed waited about 5 minutes for food, beer from Ednas was cold.

Is there a schedule of what truck(s) will be there???

Does it change??
Old 10-11-2019, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Is there a schedule of what truck(s) will be there???

Does it change??
Ednas and taco truck seem to be a staple, with only room for third truck. If you want to know where Cousins Lobster truck will be you need to go to their website. Looks like they may be at Wolfgang next week

Last edited by asianthree; 10-11-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Cousins was at the last Cruise-In and very popular. The truck will be in the Southern Trace area Monday.

MONDAY, OCT 14

Woofgang Bakery & Grooming - The Villages
3:00 PM - 6:00 PM
11962 Co Rd 101, The Villages, FL 32162

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2019, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

I get the feeling some folks grew up when the only "food trucks" around were the metal box canteen trucks. Those were the ones infamously known as roach coaches. They still exist though health department requirements for them have improved the quality of food and cleanliness of the trucks over the years.

Regardless, those aren't the only food trucks in existence. There are gourmet trucks that specialize in specific types of food, some of which are affiliated with well-known restaurants and some that use commercial kitchens to prepare their product and sell exclusively through their truck - or mail order.

Heck - the Good Humor/Hoodsie truck that went around pretty much every single suburban neighborhood, bell ringing to let the kids know it was ice cream time is - by definition - a food truck.

Up north there's a particular cannoli truck that fills the shells while you wait. You get your choice of original, coffee, or hazelnut filling, and your choice of end-dips if you want them - sprinkles, chocolate chips, ganache, nuts, etc. They have a store in the state, and they make better cannolis than the ones I've had when I've visited the North End in Boston.

There are trucks that make only different types of poutine, trucks that specialize in baked potatoes with various toppings, with home-made chili and local cheese, there are vegan trucks and vegetarian trucks, and there's even a truck that makes the most amazing wild boar burgers with home-made pesto sauce and spicy slaw. The boar come from local hunts, and the meat is lean, not very gamey at all, super high in nutrition compared to the usual pork products you'll find in the supermarket.

So yes - canteens are food trucks and yes, canteens used to earn the designation of "roach coach" back in the day. They are upgraded and modernized since then, and are now just a tiny sliver of the overall category of food trucks. Perhaps it's time for opinions to upgrade and modernize, as well?
Old 10-11-2019, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Another to each his own subject.

Me? Food trucks, roach coaches (old or modern) are great for outdoor events like car shows, carnivals, fairs and the like.

With all the options and alternatives in TV and the surrounding area.....food truck? Not for me!
Closed Thread

Tags
beef, good, ritas, brisket, ednas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.