Healthy Cooking

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Gold member
Talking Healthy Cooking

Are there any restaurants in or around The Villages, that cook "Heart Healthy"?? Like frying with only olive oil, or cooking low saturated fat.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Default Sweet Tomatoes

Sweet Tomatoes! The best salad bar ever, 8 delicious soups that change frequently. If you can afford the calories, add some bread, focaccia or muffins.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Sage
Default Bring on the healthy restraunts!

I second that. Except we don't eat fried food at all so frying in any oil is not good. Wish there could be places that would grill food. Seems the older we get the more healthy we need to eat. Our bodies don't accept the foods it used to.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Gold member
Talking

I agree whole heartely. With all the people who live here with all kinds of health problems, they sure do not eat healthy at all. Maybe we need a club started, so we can learn different low fat recipes and salad dressings.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Veteran member
Default Healthy Eating Clubs

If you check in the Rec News, there are a few groups going that focus on healthy eating and healthy living. We find that with some careful, conscious choosing we have been able to eat healthy for the most part when we go out and we can cook healthy at home. And of course we follow the 80/20 rule as much as possible. Have to say, there are more temptations in TV as there are so many restaurants but we noticed on our last trip that we were more able to make better choices more easily so we are hoping that the resolve will continue when we get down to TV again.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Default Healthy Eating

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaLarry View Post
I agree whole heartely. With all the people who live here with all kinds of health problems, they sure do not eat healthy at all. Maybe we need a club started, so we can learn different low fat recipes and salad dressings.
We have one, "Weight Watchers"
Old 01-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Sage
Default Weight Watchers success

I've followed WW for 2 years and have kept the 25 pounds off. But, I do get bored easily. I can only eat so much grilled chicken and salads. We do grill lean pork chops and lean steak. Eat dry baked potatoes and lots of fruits and veggies. I need more recipes for dinner.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

We find eating at home is healthiest, however, that's not always possible.

Many people think salads are a smart choice but if you check the restaurant's website and the nutritional values many salads are higher in calories than other food choices. Therefore, when we know we are going out, I now look up the restaurant on the internet and check the nutritional values of the foods offered so I am prepared when we eat there.

The one restaurant that disappoints me most is Olive Garden. They have a "Garden Fare Menu" with healthy, low calorie entrees they don't offer on their regular menu. If you want to order from the "Garden Fare" menu you have to ask them for it because they keep it at the front desk and don't offer it voluntarily to customers.

Shame on Olive Garden!
Old 01-25-2012, 03:29 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Try asking

A local Chinese resturant in my town added a group of bamboo steamed veggie dishes and a grilled salmon with low salt soy dressing as a lunch special on Wednesdays at the request of a local womens group. It has become a favorite for take out for local business people. So maybe asking for a special menu on a single day and then telling everyone you know so it is successful might get the ball rolling. Resturants don't serve healthy because unhealthy is easier to get tasty and sells better.

Just a thought
TrudyM in Seattle
Old 01-25-2012, 04:35 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=flipflopz;444866]

Many people think salads are a smart choice but if you check the restaurant's website and the nutritional values many salads are higher in calories than other food choices. Therefore, when we know we are going out, I now look up the restaurant on the internet and check the nutritional values of the foods offered so I am prepared when we eat there.

We do exactly the same thing as Brightspot. We check nutritional values on the Web and make our choices. Many establishments now offer heart-healthy suggestions.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:19 AM
Gold member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
If you check in the Rec News, there are a few groups going that focus on healthy eating and healthy living. We find that with some careful, conscious choosing we have been able to eat healthy for the most part when we go out and we can cook healthy at home. And of course we follow the 80/20 rule as much as possible. Have to say, there are more temptations in TV as there are so many restaurants but we noticed on our last trip that we were more able to make better choices more easily so we are hoping that the resolve will continue when we get down to TV again.
Whats 80/20 rule???
Old 01-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Veteran member
Default 80/20

This is the ratio that is often recommended when you are making lifestyle changes (or any change for that matter) If you can follow the "rules" for 80% of the time then you can go "astray" for the other 20%. That helps to get you past the feeling of depriving yourself. There are certain things like staying gluten-free and keeping away from sugar that we do for closer to 90-95% and High Fructose Corn Syrup and MSG that we try and keep as close to 100% as is consciously possible. It certainly includes lots of label reading for stuff we buy for home, but it is hard when we eat out to keep track of the HFCS particularly as it seems to be in "everything" that is on any menu. At least with MSG you can request that they not add it! Sorry for being so long-winded!

LW888
Old 01-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Sage
Default Healthy choices

As far as salads go, it's usually the dressing that puts you over the top. When ordering a salad, skip the bacon bits, cheese and croutons and ask for grilled chicken on it. It fills you up and is good for you. We eat at Outback a lot and they grill their chicken. They also have salmon. And, on our baked potato we has au jaus (spelled wrong) instead of butter. When I followed WW religiously, I would have a restaurant salad and bring my own lite dressing. Same with syrup...if I wanted to have a small pancake at a restaurant as a treat I would bring my own lite syrup. I politely told the server I was on WW and needed low fat and they didn't mind. If you cut back a little here and there it makes a difference. I hope TV has an Outback!
Old 01-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I've followed WW for 2 years and have kept the 25 pounds off. But, I do get bored easily. I can only eat so much grilled chicken and salads. We do grill lean pork chops and lean steak. Eat dry baked potatoes and lots of fruits and veggies. I need more recipes for dinner.
I feel your pain being a type II diabetic. It does get boring eating the same type of food to maintain one's health. This reminds me of the thread that I started for restaurants that are diabetic friendly.

Restaurant portions are twice of what one needs. One trick to maintain one weight is to ask for a doggie bag before dinner arrives and take half of your meal off your plate so you don't overeat. Great advice but tough to do in reality.

The reality is one needs to choose how often they eat out and what to eat. Always healthier to stay home and less fun.

In a perfect world, there would be restaurants that cater to specific health concerns.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.