Hemingways Sold

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2017, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf-Tinker View Post
The last thing we need is another "happy hour watering hole" with sandwiches as the main menu. Quality food prepared and served well will attract. Economy dining has more outlets than needed, and they're all struggling. Pray the new owners learned from their experience with Red Sauce. Give us what Hemingway's management initially delivered, then killed through their unfortunate misreading of the tea leaves.
It would seem to me that if they had a formula that was working they wouldn't have changed it.

Restaurants that are making money and are profitable don't usually change what they are doing until they become less profitable or start losing money.

I hear very few people say that they want a high-end restaurant in The Villages. While there are some, I wonder if there are enough to support one. I wonder how The Rose Plantation is doing?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
It would seem to me that if they had a formula that was working they wouldn't have changed it.

Restaurants that are making money and are profitable don't usually change what they are doing until they become less profitable or start losing money.

I hear very few people say that they want a high-end restaurant in The Villages. While there are some, I wonder if there are enough to support one. I wonder how The Rose Plantation is doing?
I've been to The Rose Plantation three times since June...i.e.: lunch & dinners. Each time it was quite full & the food & service was excellent! And this is summer!
Old 08-24-2017, 08:20 AM
fw102807

We went to Rose Plantation a week ago and though the ambiance was lovely I thought the food was quite ordinary for the price, 45.00 for a steak a baked potato and some green beans.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We have not been here long, since 2007, but back in the day the resturants had good food, and service. You had a hard time staying in to cook. Now if I am going out to eat, it needs to be good food and service. We now find that few and far between. It's a shame how things have changed in quality,. Looking forward to the two new resturants opening down the road, in the mean time if we go out, it's usually outside the bubble. We are not food or wine snobs, but if I'm spending my money mediocre is not what I'm looking for, it needs to be good otherwise I can make it better at home

Last edited by asianthree; 08-24-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:30 AM
Sage

Again most of the CC restaurants here are using mass produced institutional food--look up Gordon Food--they have several levels of food and most of it is boil in the bag or micro waveable--but its better than Chef Boyardee
Old 08-24-2017, 11:42 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Again most of the CC restaurants here are using mass produced institutional food--look up Gordon Food--they have several levels of food and most of it is boil in the bag or micro waveable--but its better than Chef Boyardee
What's wrong with Chef Boyardee? Loved it as a kid.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:47 AM
Sage

Hope you've matured since then,used to love Devil Dogs and nickel pickles-but would not go out to eat them
Old 08-24-2017, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Here's hoping the Sulieman family restores Hemmingways as a SEAFOOD restaurant and doesn't try to turn it into another same old, same old TV venue. Make it unique and watch the $$ come in.
That is one hardworking family business. Their success is earned.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2017, 01:51 PM
Platinum member

I'm late to join this conversation. Didn't the people who run Nancy Lopez take over Hemmingway.'s a few years back. If so why hasn't it enjoyed the same success as Nancy Lopez? Prices were similar.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:02 PM
Sage

Lack of quality control, their best chef left to work @ Turners, IMHO people who like seafood,usually know when entrees are fresh & prepared properly

Too many entrees which tasted off and had to be returned
Old 08-24-2017, 04:54 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I'm told the definition of a gourmet is one who can take ordinary ingredients and make a tasty meal. Tasty works well for me.

In my opinion there are two basic reasons there is as much turnover in The Villages. the first and obvious is poor management.

Secondly, a restaurant makes most of its money over the bar. I speculate that perhaps for a number of reasons people are not purchasing alcohol or limiting their consumption thereof.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:02 PM

Are you talking about Havana? I can't find a Hemingway.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:14 PM
Sage

I'm not picky, but when fish is served uncooked and with the wrong seasonings its going back and when soggy fries are served they're going back
Old 08-24-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I'm not picky, but when fish is served uncooked and with the wrong seasonings its going back and when soggy fries are served they're going back
That's right!
Old 08-24-2017, 07:23 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Lack of quality control, their best chef left to work @ Turners, IMHO people who like seafood,usually know when entrees are fresh & prepared properly

Too many entrees which tasted off and had to be returned
I've been in the food service business for 31 years and the hallmark of Chef who knows his/her business has always been how he/she cooks fish. A minute too little and the center is raw. A minute too much and the fish is overcooked. When the Lopez group first took over Hemmingways, the fish was cooked to perfection. When that slipped, so did their rep and their business. Attention to detail can NEVER be allowed to slip. It's the number one reason why restaurants fail.

Tags
hemingways, owns, red, sauce/johnny, restaurant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.