Hemingways Sold

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2017, 08:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doro22 View Post
Aw Gee...more mediocre food in The Villages.
Mediocre means inexpensive, which is what the largest % of Villagers wants. High end restaurants will not make it here because the bulk of Villagers will not support expensive menus.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:30 PM

So disappointed! Have not been back to Red Sauce since my husband got food poisoning and management did not handle the situation well. They were totally untrained. Thus we will no longer enjoy the beautiful setting at Hemmingways, we did love the staff.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:57 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
I'm not picky, but when fish is served uncooked and with the wrong seasonings its going back and when soggy fries are served they're going back
Chatbrat... "I'm not picky..." That's funny!
Old 08-25-2017, 04:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowBubba View Post
Are you talking about Havana? I can't find a Hemingway.
The restaurant at Havana Country Club used to be called Havana. It was a disaster for many years. A couple of years ago, Nancy Lopez group took over and renamed it Hemingway's at Havana with a new menu. It was great for awhile but for the past year or so it also fallen flat. Hopefully, the new Havana or Hemingway will do well because it is a nice facility in a great location.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
Chatbrat... "I'm not picky..." That's funny!
And do you know what will make fries soggy? Spit!
Old 08-25-2017, 04:45 PM
Sage

Siting in oil too long-people stop praising junk food and you might get some good places to eat at--I'm not picky --means we're out of there before we eat garbage entrees--its not rocket science to present good food--the Rose Plantation and Arnold Palmer do it on a consistent basis

Cane Garden's does the same, their food is good--if you're happy eating boil in the bag or microwave -slop--enjoy
Old 08-25-2017, 05:58 PM

So far, we like the food quality at Lopez country club and Codie's at lake Sumter.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:01 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Siting in oil too long-people stop praising junk food and you might get some good places to eat at--I'm not picky --means we're out of there before we eat garbage entrees--its not rocket science to present good food--the Rose Plantation and Arnold Palmer do it on a consistent basis

Cane Garden's does the same, their food is good--if you're happy eating boil in the bag or microwave -slop--enjoy
Don't assume I disagree with you. I also would like to see "better"/higher quality/more innovative restaurants in and around The Villages. I just don't believe posting disparaging remarks about local restaurants, thereby insulting people who enjoy and frequent those restaurants, is the way to go about it. I just don't go to the restaurants that I think are of inferior quality. But... to each his own.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:28 PM
Gold member

Hemingway's was great with the previous chef.
My hubby and I are Florida natives. We grew up on the west coast with plenty of great seafood restaurants.
We just don't understand why the fish in the restaurants in the Villages is all frozen and flown in from the north east or Great Lakes.
We have wonderful FRESH seafood and fish just 90 miles away, both east and west. It just seems crazy to us to go out to dinner and get frozen fish from the north.
Hemingway's had great shrimp, grouper and snapper. The Cuban/Old Florida menu was wonderful. I hope these new owners can figure out how to make this a cut above the "chain Country Club" menus.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:

The Rose Plantation is ok.....the entree's are very good but the sides, including the fries are nothing special, mediocre at best...but the entree's are worth the visit. Palmer has gotten mixed reviews although I agree with Chat on this one.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-27-2017, 01:10 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
Hemingway's was great with the previous chef.
My hubby and I are Florida natives. We grew up on the west coast with plenty of great seafood restaurants.
We just don't understand why the fish in the restaurants in the Villages is all frozen and flown in from the north east or Great Lakes.
We have wonderful FRESH seafood and fish just 90 miles away, both east and west. It just seems crazy to us to go out to dinner and get frozen fish from the north.
Hemingway's had great shrimp, grouper and snapper. The Cuban/Old Florida menu was wonderful. I hope these new owners can figure out how to make this a cut above the "chain Country Club" menus.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You cant be a restaurant at a Country Club in The Villages and NOT have a golfers or even a lunch menu. Hemmingway's did not cater to either. Tables were always set up with table cloths and Golfers were practically forced to sit outside in the back or at a high top, no quick food during the day ...so golfers just did not stick around. Even in the evening, our golf group simply did not want to pay white table cloth prices when you were finished playing after playing in 90 degree heat.....and this would be for a group of approx 30 players.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
You cant be a restaurant at a Country Club in The Villages and NOT have a golfers or even a lunch menu. Hemmingway's did not cater to either. Tables were always set up with table cloths and Golfers were practically forced to sit outside in the back or at a high top, no quick food during the day ...so golfers just did not stick around. Even in the evening, our golf group simply did not want to pay white table cloth prices when you were finished playing after playing in 90 degree heat.....and this would be for a group of approx 30 players.
well said
Old 08-27-2017, 02:57 PM
Default Not true!

At least stick to facts if you intend to knock the restaurant's management/lease owner when they're down. No CC restaurant can make if they cater just to golfers. They demand favored seating for large groups, cheap pitcher beer, inexpensive sandwiches, and super service. Tips could have been better.

For your information, Hemingway's had a separate menu for lunch until its last months. Table clothes did not go the tables until late in the afternoon.

Plymouth (MA)
Lexington (MA)
Old 08-27-2017, 03:06 PM

I have not been there and now, I will be sure not to go.
Closed Thread

Tags
hemingways, owns, red, sauce/johnny, restaurant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.