HOT DOG

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna
Default Re: HOT DOG

OMG..Egg Creams,,How did I forget that???

Lemon Ices..I am loosing my mind..

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 12-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Nathans is good and glad to see there is one locally, but didn't see a vote for Ted's in Buffalo NY. Best dog I ever had. They used to be open 24 hours and there was always a line. Haven't been there for several years, but if I ever pass through again will stop by and have one.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Sage

Were chocolate phosphates popular in N.Y? Yummmmm!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:31 AM
Platinum member

Nonie, Dee Dee's Dog House (Rollings Acres Rd) hasn't officially opened but it's open. My mother who craves hot dogs as much as I do--claims they're outstanding, better than Nathan's. She didn't care much for the dogs in Big City Grill but she hasn't stopped raving about Dee Dee's. Those Chicago Red Hots didn't do it for her. George
Old 12-23-2007, 03:03 AM
Eternal Member
Default Re: HOT DOG ~ Dee Dee's

This afternoon I had a craving for a hot dog. Since I was at Home Depot and opted not to go to the tent (love their Italian sausages and hot dogs but have found that often in late afternoon, I’ve been stuck with a not-so-fresh bun), I decided to give Dee Dee’s a try. I was curious since seemingly it had taken forever to get the place open once it had been announced.

I was kinda taken aback with the décor at Dee Dee’s. Very nice, bright, larger than expected. It’s got quite a few tables of various sizes as well as “counter” stools. It’s really not a counter per se, but that’s beside the point. There’s a menu and order pad at each table. The customer marks his order and takes it to the counter and pays. The food is then delivered to your table.

The place offers a wide selection of dogs, just about any combination one would desire. I think the franks are all beef, generally sabrettes and viennas. They range from a hot dog with mustard through corndogs to wieners with <insert weird food stuff here>, about 10 or so selections. I stuck with my desired chili dog, which came with onions and mustard. The hot dog was fine, the chili was great, and the onions were ideally whatever good onions are. I passed on the mustard. The highlight, though, was the bun. It was a very crusty baguette-type roll. It reminded me of the most delicious simple sandwich I’ve ever had, years ago on the streets of Amsterdam. Delicious Dutch ham on the most heavenly roll smothered in Danish butter --- but I digress. The bun at Dee Dee’s might be a challenge to denture wearers ~ I was concerned about my bridge ~ but it’s worth the risk. The dog came with a very, very, very thin slice of pickle and some cole slaw.

At first, I was a bit taken aback by the prices. Seemed kinda proud of their food. However, after having the meal, it seemed worth the cost. Dogs were, if I remember correctly, $3.75 for the plain and $4.75 for the name brands. There’s also a large selection of burgers for about $6.75. Also sides, desserts, and drinks. Not sure of the prices. Could be a quarter or so off.

I’ll go back.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 12-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Platinum member

Noni, Loved those chocolate phosphates!Hmm Good. I worked in a drug store as a teen and made them.
Tampa, FL
Old 12-24-2007, 12:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonie
Were chocolate phosphates popular in N.Y? Yummmmm!

Used to get various flavor phosphates at drug store soda counters in Chicago when I was a young kid in the early and mid 50's. Haven't seen them since then.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 12-24-2007, 03:05 AM

Good luck, I gave up trying to find one years ago. I don't think there is a good hot dog to be found in the whole state. Even if the hot dog is half tasty someone will put it on a 3 day old roll.
I certainly do agree that "good" is the great hot dog from your old home town.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Platinum member

Muncle wrote an outstanding review of Dee Dee's. Her description of the hot dog rolls they use suggests that they pay attention to detail. What could be worse than a great hot dog on a soggy or doughy hot dog bun? Let me know what you think? George
Old 12-26-2007, 07:19 PM

The concession stand at the Saddlebrook softball complex serves delicious hot dogs on fresh buns. Fast, efficient service, too.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:59 PM

Big City on 466 has a good dog.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:33 AM
Sage

Chuck,

If your ever back in Chi town, the far north side resteraunts still serve Chocolate Phosphates. Had one about a year ago and thought I had died and gone to heaven!! It certainly brought back great childhood memories of the drug store soda fountains.

Avista, do ya think you could still make one for me when I get to TV? :bow:Please!!!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonie
Chuck,

If your ever back in Chi town, the far north side resteraunts still serve Chocolate Phosphates. Had one about a year ago and thought I had died and gone to heaven!! It certainly brought back great childhood memories of the drug store soda fountains.

Avista, do ya think you could still make one for me when I get to TV? :bow:Please!!!
Nonie:

Thanks for the info! I only get into Chicago about once in a blue moon and then land at Midway and visit my brother in South burbs. I'll ask him if he has seen Phosphates anywhere in his area. (my wife, the Norcal girl, has stayed at a friend's downtown condo with some of her girlfriends from CA on shopping trips a couple of times but I wasn't invited)
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 01-06-2008, 03:29 PM

SO, IT SEEMS LIKE DEDEES IS NOW OPEN AND THE HOT DOGS ARE GOOD. IS THAT CORRECT? TIGER
Old 01-10-2008, 02:46 AM
Platinum member

Don't know if Dee Dee's has had an official opening yet but they've been serving dogs since mid December, and they're very good. Why not go on a mission and report back?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.