How do you like your coffee? How much do you drink? What will you not tolerate??

Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2019, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

I'm a big Starbuck's fan. I like a cup of coffee with a lot of body and Starbuck's fits the bill. I purchase Starbuck's Decaf Sumatra coffee at their shop and they grind it for me. Drink it with a bit of real Half & Half, Don't need sweeteners of any kind and always drink decaf.

Now....when i'm out and about, I love some Starbuck's and order a tall decaf. Fix it like I do at home with Half & Half.

I look forward to the holiday menus in Fall and Winter. During fall, a tall decaf pumpkin spice latte made with skim milk is a treat a few times during the season. Yes to the whipped cream. YUM!

Christmastime it is always a treat to order a tall, decaf peppermint mocha latte made with skim milk. YUM! YUM!

I'll take the sweetness in the holiday drinks because they are more of a desert, not really a cup of coffee for me.

During holiday celebrations, must have Espresso with a shot of Anisette!

This is a fun thread. Thank you OP!

Last edited by coffeebean; 11-05-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusX1 View Post
We like fresh coffee. I buy green beans and roast them. The coffee most people drink is stale. Fresh roast only lasts about 6 days before it starts to go stale.
I roast about every 5 days. I buy most of my beans from coffee bean direct. Kenya AA, Guatemala pea berry, Columbia Supremo, sometimes some exotic beans from Sumatra, India or Borneo, never drink blends.
Mostly roast to a light city roast, some beans we roast to medium city roast. Dark coffee and espresso are burned beans.
Our week end coffee is Kona. We buy it from a small organic farm. We drink it black with organic stevia.
We drink a 10 cup pot daily.
We have given up restaurant coffee. And don’t care for lukewarm coffee.
WOW.....after reading your post, I just realized I've been drinking stale coffee all these years.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:31 AM
Veteran member

I’m now drinking Maxwell House but only dark blend as it is easier for those of us with sensitive stomachs. I get annoyed with Keurig that waters it down and is less hot than I would like. I fill my own reusable bumps with it. Additives re half and half, sometimes fat free and occasionally cinnamon...tried a little butter ad advertised...yuck.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:12 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Give me 3 spoon strong instant coffee, half & half and honey. Wakes me up every morning.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Give me 3 spoon strong instant coffee, half & half and honey. Wakes me up every morning.
We also enjoy Maxwell House Instant Coffee, but only one spoonful with sugar free Nestle Coffee Mate French Vanilla. I can't tell the difference from the instant and brewed coffee. Two cups every morning and that's it, I'm awake and that serves it purpose and I'll have no more the rest of the day. For that reason, I've never had a Starbucks Coffee. I may once in a great while have a cup if I'm eating breakfast at Bob Evans in the morning. We usually pick up the jars of Maxwell House when Walgreens have their sales about every other month, sometimes as low as $2.99, it's a cheap drink.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 11-15-2019, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Blue Mountain or Kona whole bean, French press. Stevia. Hot only one cup at a time
Old 11-15-2019, 10:03 AM
Gold member

Folgers, hot and black
Old 11-15-2019, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

A couple of our clan do "pour over".
Grind fresh per cup then pour through filter.
Great flavor full coffee....as long as they are doing it.
Much too long of a process for me.
While great tasting, however not so much that I would convert to the process.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusX1 View Post
We like fresh coffee. I buy green beans and roast them. The coffee most people drink is stale. Fresh roast only lasts about 6 days before it starts to go stale.
I roast about every 5 days. I buy most of my beans from coffee bean direct. Kenya AA, Guatemala pea berry, Columbia Supremo, sometimes some exotic beans from Sumatra, India or Borneo, never drink blends.
Mostly roast to a light city roast, some beans we roast to medium city roast. Dark coffee and espresso are burned beans.
Our week end coffee is Kona. We buy it from a small organic farm. We drink it black with organic stevia.
We drink a 10 cup pot daily.
We have given up restaurant coffee. And don’t care for lukewarm coffee.

Hi, I just registered here so that I could reply to this post (I've been reading here for years, just had not registered to post). I love coffee and was so happy to see someone else roasting coffee! I don't drink it for the caffeine but just because I have always loved it since I was around 12 years old and used to see my dad enjoying coffee so much. I've been roasting my own coffee (green coffee beans) since probably around 2000 so close to twenty years and although I am by NO means an expert, I definitely know more about coffee than the average person. What OpusX1 says is completely correct, ground coffee is stale very quickly, within days, and that is regardless of whether it is vacuum packed or not. Now, this does not mean people won't enjoy it, most people are used to stale coffee because that is all you'll find at the grocery store, and they love it because that's what they are used to, totally understandable. And some will never appreciate fresh roasted coffee no matter what.

But there are so many other factors that go into a good cup of coffee, and freshness of the coffee itself is only the beginning (you can actually still make a really bad cup of coffee with fresh beans). It also needs to actually be good quality coffee, the water used to brew it needs to be good and of the correct temperature (hardly any drip coffee makers heat the water to the correct coffee-brewing temperature), and the brew method also makes a huge difference. I purchase green coffee beans at Sweet Maria's online and also learned all about coffee roasting from that site, so if anyone is interested they have tons of info there and roasting coffee is really easy, you guys should try it! I have no affiliation with them by the way, just that I have tried many different places online to buy green coffee beans and always go back to them.

And p.s. to answer the original question, I like cream and sugar in my coffee, and that is real cream from our cows. You people drinking low fat half and half just make me so sad lol.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,051 Times in 2,740 Posts

Newman’s special Blend K-cups from Costco. 2-3 cups per day in the AM only. Add a splash of coffee mate sugar free French vanilla creamer.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolts View Post
Hi, I just registered here so that I could reply to this post (I've been reading here for years, just had not registered to post). I love coffee and was so happy to see someone else roasting coffee! I don't drink it for the caffeine but just because I have always loved it since I was around 12 years old and used to see my dad enjoying coffee so much. I've been roasting my own coffee (green coffee beans) since probably around 2000 so close to twenty years and although I am by NO means an expert, I definitely know more about coffee than the average person. What OpusX1 says is completely correct, ground coffee is stale very quickly, within days, and that is regardless of whether it is vacuum packed or not. Now, this does not mean people won't enjoy it, most people are used to stale coffee because that is all you'll find at the grocery store, and they love it because that's what they are used to, totally understandable. And some will never appreciate fresh roasted coffee no matter what.

But there are so many other factors that go into a good cup of coffee, and freshness of the coffee itself is only the beginning (you can actually still make a really bad cup of coffee with fresh beans). It also needs to actually be good quality coffee, the water used to brew it needs to be good and of the correct temperature (hardly any drip coffee makers heat the water to the correct coffee-brewing temperature), and the brew method also makes a huge difference. I purchase green coffee beans at Sweet Maria's online and also learned all about coffee roasting from that site, so if anyone is interested they have tons of info there and roasting coffee is really easy, you guys should try it! I have no affiliation with them by the way, just that I have tried many different places online to buy green coffee beans and always go back to them.

And p.s. to answer the original question, I like cream and sugar in my coffee, and that is real cream from our cows. You people drinking low fat half and half just make me so sad lol.
I am impressed with your expertise, but do not intend to emulate you. I have been drinking coffee since I was very little, four or five, when given a little coffee and a lot of milk and some sugar. I grew to be 5'9" so it did NOT stunt my growth as I have sometimes heard and I love coffee, hot OR cold, always with half and half and the best is brewed by the lovely folks who live at my house from a red plastic can that says Folgers in the morning and a green can in the evening. I have...….maybe three cups a day and it keeps me from doing violent things.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Folgers 1/2 caff in a one cup Keurig. Surprisingly good drunk black.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2019, 03:33 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

I like mine extra strong with powdered creamer and Stevia.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:53 PM
Gold member

folgers 1850 black gold, one splenda tablet, spot of cream...2 or 3 cups.
i wont tolerate having no coffee.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Cappuccino is my go-to favorite. Currently drinking Cafe Bustelo from the vac-pac into a washable filter for my Keurig. Instead of the usual 2-ounce shot of espresso I let it brew into a 6-ounce coffee. Since I'm steaming and frothing the milk I'm using 1% or 2%. Full-fat milk doesn't froth as well. I add 1 teaspoon sugar, and a pinch of ground cinnamon.

When I'm drinking with a Melior or drip, my favorite is Sumatra Mandheling, fresh-roasted, whole milk, 1.5 teaspoons sugar.

I will not tolerate "flavored" coffee. Especially hazelnut. The smell nauseates me. If I want a mocha or mochaccino I add unsweetened cocoa powder or steep some cocoa nibs in the coffee for a minute. For cinnamon flavor I use actual cinnamon. That's as "flavored" as I can tolerate. Also can't tolerate "creamer" or flavored milks or non-dairy nut-juice or artificial sweeteners, stevia, or even honey - in my coffee.
Closed Thread

Tags
drink, half, drinking, mind, brand

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.