How do you like your coffee? How much do you drink? What will you not tolerate??

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2019, 01:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Never got into drinking coffee. Do have some Mountain Dews or some other diet caffeinated drinks in the morning though.

Attended BYU Law School in the late Summer of 1982 and coffee was not allowed there but diet or regular caffeinated COLD drinks were. They do train their lawyers at the Mormon Church to make fine distinctions. Can Mormons Drink Coca-Cola? : NPR

Most of my values fit in with those at BYU.

I left after ten days because I was not ready for law school then and BYU was a poor choice for me. Plus I had a recent convert to Mormonism from Puerto Rico as a on campus roommate who seemed to want to turn me into his victory for getting a conversion. He was a dance major as well so it did not seem he was deep into studying.

I grew up as a Lutheran but did attend various other denominations' services as I was interested in religions.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

I was wondering what is fat free half and half:

Google, Huffpost: It’s not often that one finds a perfect oxymoron, but it happened to me in a supermarket recently when I encountered a pint of “Fat-Free Half & Half.”

In the U.S., half-and-half is typically half milk and half cream and contains about 12 percent fat, so how can such a product be rendered fat-free? Answer: by replacing butterfat (a mostly saturated fat) with corn syrup and adding chemicals and thickeners to simulate fat’s texture and mouth-feel. The ingredients list: skim milk, corn syrup, cream (this is accompanied by a footnote reassuring the consumer that the cream adds “a trivial amount of fat” — I assume because the product contains a trivial amount of cream) and “less than 0.5 percent of the following: Carrageenan, Sodium Citrate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Mono and Diglycerides, Vitamin A Palmitate, Color Added (Ingredient not in regular half-and-half).”

I confess I like full fat milk.
When we were hiding in a small village from the Communists, the only place to get milk was from the farmer with the cow next door. There was a lovely dear cow, when I was 5 years old the farmer showed me how to milk her. Absolutely loved the warm, fresh milk.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Usually two cups every AM...decaf...black...not steaming hot...medium to dark roast...

Never ever a flavored coffee....

And now the kicker.....what ever may be left from the previous day is my first drink in the new day!! (old Army habits never die).
Old 10-30-2019, 02:22 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

We drink two cups of coffee most mornings with dry non-dairy creamer and a teaspoon of Splenda. Whatever is on sale, Folgers or Maxwell House half caffeinated coffee. We started drinking half-caff five years ago. Occasionally we will have a senior cup of decaf or regular coffee at McDonald’s. We think their coffee is good. As a general rule we do not drink coffee in the evening. I have relatives living in Louisiana and we do not drink their chicory coffee.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:26 PM
Veteran member

We like fresh coffee. I buy green beans and roast them. The coffee most people drink is stale. Fresh roast only lasts about 6 days before it starts to go stale.
I roast about every 5 days. I buy most of my beans from coffee bean direct. Kenya AA, Guatemala pea berry, Columbia Supremo, sometimes some exotic beans from Sumatra, India or Borneo, never drink blends.
Mostly roast to a light city roast, some beans we roast to medium city roast. Dark coffee and espresso are burned beans.
Our week end coffee is Kona. We buy it from a small organic farm. We drink it black with organic stevia.
We drink a 10 cup pot daily.
We have given up restaurant coffee. And don’t care for lukewarm coffee.

Last edited by OpusX1; 10-30-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusX1 View Post
We like fresh coffee. I buy green beans and roast them. The coffee most people drink is stale. Fresh roast only lasts about 6 days before it starts to go stale.
I roast about every 5 days. I buy most of my beans from coffee bean direct. Kenya AA, Guatemala pea berry, Columbia Supremo, sometimes some exotic beans from Sumatra, India or Borneo, never drink blends.
Mostly roast to a light city roast, some beans we roast to medium city roast. Dark coffee and espresso are burned beans.
Our week end coffee is Kona. We buy it from a small organic farm. We drink it black with organic stevia.
Very interesting. You are to coffee what the Brat is to Vodka. I also wanted to add I had no idea it was stale coffee that I like so much. Who knew? I also love the fact that you got a thumbs up (Thank you) from the only poster that stated he doesn't drink coffee.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:32 PM
Sage

That’s cause I didn’t read his post yet.

Sort of like comparing prime rib to Mc Donald’s semi meat burger. They are not even in the same ball park.
But, we usually like what we are used to and what we have been exposed to. I noticed nobody was raving about my poppyseed lasagna, which tells me nobody is posting here from my native Central European country.

The coffee you buy at the store is vacuum packed and not stale before their date. Roasted expresso beans are carefully stored in oil.

It’s all good.

Last edited by Velvet; 10-30-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:30 PM
Veteran member

If you have never had fresh roasted coffee you would never know what it was like. Coffee that you buy in the grocery store is months from roasting and blended. If you like what your drinking that’s fine. The OP asked how I like my coffee and I like it fresh roasted and puro. Until you try it don’t knock it.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:49 PM
Sage

Of course the store bought coffee is mostly blended, they are good beans blended with cheap ones to make coffee affordable. You haven’t mentioned the price of those fresh green coffee beans you talk about.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
If you have never had fresh roasted coffee you would never know what it was like. Coffee that you buy in the grocery store is months from roasting and blended. If you like what your drinking that’s fine. The OP asked how I like my coffee and I like it fresh roasted and puro. Until you try it don’t knock it.
I didn't knock it and I did say your post was interesting.....
Old 10-30-2019, 08:05 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Dare I say.....
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20191030_210201.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	81511  
Old 10-30-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I will check out the web site coffee bean direct! My business trips to Jamaica spoiled me with my daily fix of blue mountain coffee. Like you, and others in this post, a good cup of coffee is one of life's simple pleasures. I will also check out the Kona coffee. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-30-2019, 08:24 PM
Veteran member

I don’t know what the price has to do with this thread but we pay around $10 per pound for coffee. Kona runs about $30 per pound.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,359 Times in 2,509 Posts

My wife drinks an 'ersatz coffee,' allegedly made from barley, rye, and chicory.

(I also have a feeling they add the droppings from the local dog kennels, and extract of cat litter tray! JMHO.)
Old 10-31-2019, 05:48 AM

Amazon. One day delivery. Great prices and a great selection. Absolutely no Starbucks!
Closed Thread

Tags
drink, half, drinking, mind, brand

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.