Thai Ruby

Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Default Thai Ruby

Last evening I had dinner with a group of seven at Thai Ruby following an excellent performance by Cirque du Monde. For those of you unfamiliar with this restaurant it is located in the heart of Canal Street in LSL.

I had been there about a year ago and was unimpressed. However, last night the service was excellent (with a big smile I might add) and the food was extremely good. I had one of the specials of the day which was Talapia in a smooth, slightly spicy Curry Sauce. The other members of the party had different dishes ranging from duck to shrimp to lobster. I did not here a single complaint.

If you have not given Thai Ruby a try, please do so. It would be such a shame to lose this dining facility to another Johnny Rockets.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfn8tly View Post
Last evening I had dinner with a group of seven at Thai Ruby following an excellent performance by Cirque du Monde. For those of you unfamiliar with this restaurant it is located in the heart of Canal Street in LSL.

I had been there about a year ago and was unimpressed. However, last night the service was excellent (with a big smile I might add) and the food was extremely good. I had one of the specials of the day which was Talapia in a smooth, slightly spicy Curry Sauce. The other members of the party had different dishes ranging from duck to shrimp to lobster. I did not here a single complaint.

If you have not given Thai Ruby a try, please do so. It would be such a shame to lose this dining facility to another Johnny Rockets.
I agree. Thai Ruby is on of my favorite restaurants.
Tampa, FL
Old 01-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member

A BIG negative in the past was that they automatically added a 15% tip to your bill and most people never realized that and added an additional tip. That really upset people.

Fortunately, they stopped that practice and since, we have had numerous good to very good meals (and service) at the Thai Ruby.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:49 PM

Went there two weeks ago with my son who loves Thai food and everything was perfect . . . from the food to the service! Certainly will be back!!
Old 01-25-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
A BIG negative in the past was that they automatically added a 15% tip to your bill and most people never realized that and added an additional tip. That really upset people.

Fortunately, they stopped that practice and since, we have had numerous good to very good meals (and service) at the Thai Ruby.
Have they really stopped adding the tip to the bill? We went for lunch a few months ago to give them another try after we were told they had stopped. The menus were even stamped with "Gratuity not added". But when the bill came -- there was the tip added. Vowed never to return.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:07 PM

Is the food there really Thai now?

When we went (maybe two years ago) it was just bland Chinese food

We were hoping for something with a bit of taste and zing
Old 01-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Veteran member

BTW, it's Ruby Thai....I agree the food is great and can be bland, that was our first impression, second trip, we asked them to spice it up a bit and were offered 3 levels of "hotness"....so speak up and you will get what you like. We love this place and were hoping no one "discovered" it....LOL

Food and service are excellent.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

TIP was NOT added in our bill...at least during 3 visits over the past year one being fairly recent.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have been there several times over the past four years. One of our favorite places. Always good food and good service, will spice it up if you ask, wine list could be better, but they have a couple decent beers. Will continue to go there. Love the SP-7 with extra spice.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:37 PM

If you have a party of six or more they will automatically add a gratuity off 18%. This is not unusual in many of the better restaurants.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Veteran member
Default Spicy as you like

I was at Thai Ruby a short time ago and asked for some extra "heat" to the food. The waitress said they could add mild heat, medium heat, high heat, or Thai Hot. I chose medium and it was perfect. They also brought a tray of spicy condiments so I could adjust a little to my own taste. Excellent food and a quiet atmosphere where you can actually hold a conversation instead of too loud. Dang, do I sound old?

The tip is not automatically added.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default Out best choice

Our favorite restaurant in the TV area.

We've always had good food; always good service.(with a smile)

Pad See Yu with pork; spicy!

Never had a bad night there!
_
Old 01-29-2011, 07:59 AM
Default Spicy!

Thanks for the favorable comments re adding heat

will give Ruby Thai another go
Old 01-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Veteran member
Default Thai Ruby on Jan. 28

I went to Thai Ruby last evening with my wife (Mrs. Tbugs) after first going to Mallory Hill Club and finding a 60 minute wait. No wait at all at Thai Ruby.

I had the daily special of "Tilapia Thai Ruby" for $13.95. I asked for a heat adjustment of "medium plus". The sauce was a Thai curry sauce (not like Indian curry at all) and definitely had all the spicy heat I wanted. It was delicious - as well as a very large portion. I had to ask for a box to bring the remainder home for my Panda (see the picture).

Mrs. Tbugs had another tilapia special with a "young pepper sauce". She did not ask for any heat adjustment and said hers was quite bland. You have to remember the restaurant prepares for an older crowd (even though we do not admit it) and the heat adjustments have to be requested. She did get the hot sauces tray from the waitress but that is not the same as having the heat cooked into the sauce.

I checked to see if the tip had been included. Tip was not included.

I highly recommend the Thai Ruby restaurant.

Last edited by Tbugs; 01-29-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: e
Old 01-29-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfn8tly View Post
If you have a party of six or more they will automatically add a gratuity off 18%. This is not unusual in many of the better restaurants.
Then the menus should not be stampted "gratuity not included".
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.