Italian Beef & Chicago Dogs...

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Sage
Default Re: Italian Beef & Chicago Dogs...

Hello all, I'm so glad to hear about Big City. We just moved here from Chicago 3 weeks ago and I'm missing a good combo sandwich already. Are there any clubs for Chicago or Illinois clubs??? Just wondering.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Sage

Chelsea.

At long l;ast I found You!! :bigthumbsup:

I am Chicago born & raised and have been looking for some Chicago people in TV. I have had a hard time finding any actual inner city people!
I have not found anyplace that serves a true Vienna Hot dog or the Great Italian beef that they have in Chicago, but if you find a place please let me know!

Where in Chicago did you live?

I know there is an Illinois club that meets in TV but I went once and couldnt find any "city" people. They were all from the burbs. Please write me ;D

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Sage

WOOPS!
Sorry to all of you that posted about "Big City". I didnt see your posts until after I answered Chelsea. Im Excited :hot: A real Chicago hot dog and Italian beef in TV? This is wonderful news!!! Cant wait 'till I get back down there this winter to sample them. Does anyone know when they opened? I just got back from TV and didnt know they were there.BUMMER :dontknow:

Old 11-28-2007, 12:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Nonie, as jr stated that started this post they opened the day after thanksgiving.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:43 AM
Sage

Thanks Golfnut,

I must remember to read all posts so as not to appear so uninformed!

That is the day I left TV, I repeat! BUMMER >

Old 11-28-2007, 04:00 AM
Sage

Hi Nonie, glad to meet you. I'm sure there must be more of us out there. lol I was born and raised in Cicero, just on the edge of the city and my husband grew up in the Rogers Park area. Do you go back and forth from Chicago now? I'm going to look into that Illinos club. Email me if you'd like. I really happy they opened this restaurant too. Nice meeting you.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Native South Sider Here

I was born and lived on the South Side (87th and Morgan) until after I graduated from college. Then after 10 or so years in the Detroit area and then southern Indiana, I came back to Chi town but settled in Riverwoods, way up north north near Northbrook, Deerfield and Lake Forest. While we haven't lived in the city for a long while, I worked downtown (at First Chicago) for almost 30 years.

I heard there was a Roseland club, but haven't heard of an Illinois club.

Glad to hear that those great "snappy" Vienna franks are available here--with all the fixings (except ketchup) plus celery salt--a taste of home!

Come on down, Nonie. I couldn't get back here soon enough after experiencing the cold and snow over the Thanksgiving weekend. My pool is 82 degrees!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:01 PM

For all of you that enjoyed your experience at Big City Grill, either I went on a bad time or you all enjoy no taste meat, stale buns, soggy buns and french fried bits and peices rather that french fries. I went last night and because I was in a hurry I didn't walk out and go somewhere else (it's the season you know). I had the sweet peppers (extra $) and what that amounted to was 2 peices (chunks) of bell pepper on top. The Italian beef was totally tastleless and I already stated the condition of the bun and fries. I am quite confident that BCG will not have me there again, there are just too many places in TV to pay for the slop that was served as a meal. >.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Sage

cHELSEA,

Thanks for writing back! I gre up in Wicker park, later as a teen moved to Rogers Park. Where in Rogers park did your hubby live?

I will keep in touch, I want to know more about the Illinois club so that when I come back in February, I can possibly join it depending on what you say. If you go to a function please write me about it.

I really dont think there are that many people from Chicago. I put a post out at one time and got very little response. Just wait until Chicago catches on, they will have to build a new landing for them!!!

Old 11-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Sage

Kahuna,

Thanks for your reply, I guess you do qualify as a "real Chicago guy". good to know your down there and dont tempt me. 82 degree pool!!!!! Alas I must wait for February, sigh

Old 11-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Send a message via AIM to JRietz Send a message via Skype™ to JRietz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffer
For all of you that enjoyed your experience at Big City Grill, either I went on a bad time or you all enjoy no taste meat, stale buns, soggy buns and french fried bits and peices rather that french fries...
Sorry you had a bad experience. I do agree that the beef could have a bit more taste (I had mentioned it could use a bit of salt). I've been there 3 times and did get some short fries twice, but thought it may have just been my timing. The Vienna hot dog buns were perfect as were the beef and sausage buns. While they use Chicago Red Hots in place of Vienna dogs, they were very good. Italian sausage was great.

I'm sure they want to succeed, so tell them what you like or don't like. Since it is a family business, I'm sure they are open from suggestions - especially those of us from the Chicago area.

Jim
Johnston Atoll AFB
Lady Lake
Town of Lady Lake Commissioner (Ward 5)
Old 12-06-2007, 02:32 AM

I stopped in at Big City Grill and ordered a brat and sauerkraut. Haven't had a grilled brat since I left home over a year ago.

Oh, I was in heaven! Want to try some choice next time.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:24 PM

After a glowing writeup by the Daily Sun, we were anxiously waiting for City Grill to open. I love hot dogs...I ordered a hot dog with chili and a ceaser salad. The restaurant tossed french fries on top of the chili and wraped it up in greasy paper. I don't eat french fries so I had to pick them out of the chili. The hot dog was average. The salad had so much vinegar in the dressing, I took two bites and threw it in the garbage.

I'm hoping that Dee Dee's Dog House will be better.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Platinum member

I've heard mixed reviews of the hot dogs at Big City, I wonder if people's reactions may be based on their experience. New Yorker's might prefer the simple, salty Nathan's and maybe can't appreciate the difference of a Chicago style dog. Can't help the taste prejudices we've acquired along the way. Agree, it'll be interesting to see what Dee Dee's Dog House brings to the "hot dog" table. I remember my surprise visiting Northern NJ where quite a few places offered Italian hot dogs. These were regular grilled dogs on Italian bread type roll with grilled peppers and onions. Very tasty! George
Old 12-08-2007, 05:35 PM

Great news for those of us Chicagoans who are considering TV. You need someone who's lived in Chicago to know how to fix Italian beef and Chicago Style hot dog. Thanks for the update!!

pili :bigthumbsup:
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.