Juan's Mexicali...Recommendation

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Veteran member
Default Juan's Mexicali...Recommendation

My wife and I tried Juan's Mexicali which is a brand-new Texmex restaurant located in the Colony Plaza Shopping Center on Route 466-A. To my great delight, the food was very good although the atmosphere is vintage lunch room. This was a surprise. I tried three tacos (shredded pork, shredded beef, and chicken). All tasted as though the restaurant had made a serious effort to cook them well and I think they succeeded. We are fussy about Mexican food (Texmex, Real Mexican, and Northern Sonoran) since we lived in Tucson for eight years. I think this place is worth a try.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 01-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Sage
Default Re: Juan's Mexicali...Recommendation

jt...thanks for the info; I didn't realize they were open...no announcement has been made that I was aware of. Good to see decent TexMex here on the Southside.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:46 AM
Veteran member

I'll be looking for your opinion....remember the ambiance isn't much but the food is OK...maybe mbetter than ok.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 01-07-2008, 03:11 AM

I lived in Dallas for 13 years and in San Diego for 12 before moving here to The Villages...and this new TexMex Rest. was a BIG disapointment.... the food over at Moe's is better but they both lack authenticity in my opinion. :dontknow:
Old 01-07-2008, 03:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

pgarvin! Four of us ate at Juan's. Mr. Bright had the chicken quesadilla (yuck), I had the spinach/artichoke quesadilla (double yuck), one friend had a plain cheese quesadilla (just okay), the other friend had a wrap sandwich (said it was good). I won't even mention what I thought about the sauces they offered. All I know is that I have no desire to go back.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Veteran member

We must have hit them on a good day....our food was very good.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Banned

I'm hoping the place is just havng the "new operation" blues, and that a little more staff training and practice in actually being a restaurant will help work oout the kinks.

My spouse and I tried the place, and it was becoming humorous watching them trying to get the order delivered. My spouse got a taco combo and I got the burrito. During the time it took them to finally get the burrito out, they dumped three taco plates out (probably got cold) before delivering the order to the table. The food was okay, but the confusion was obvious.

I guess I'm spoiled by places that have chips/salsa on the table while the order is being prepared. In that regard, Juan's seems more like a bigger-portion Taco Bell than it does a "restaurant."

Again, it's nice that it's there, but it can be better than what it is now.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:02 AM
Sage

Went there for dinner this evening... I had BBQ Chicken Quesedilla and he had Cubano sandwich; we both had tortilla soup. Our food was tasty, prices are reasonable (both 'entrees' were $6 each). They have beer, wine, margaritas, and daqueries (sp) with 2 for 1 happy hour from 3-7.

Certainly better than Taco Bell, but, not quite as robust as On the Border or Chevys. They are still in their 'soft opening' phase with grand opening to come. The staff all appear to be teenagers, so, confusion abounds. But, they are cheerful and pleasant. This is not table service...you order at the counter, then they bring you your food. As JT said, more like a lunch diner than a full fledge restaurant.

For cheap, quick, convenient (to South siders) and tasty mexican food, it'll do.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:30 AM
Eternal Member

Do not get anything to go. I ordered 3 tacos the other evening. They were put in a typical black syrofoam box. When I got home, there was a layer of liquid (water) in the bottom of the container. Ergo, the tacos were very soggy, really uneatable as a taco. Also, unless you're a sour cream aficionado, watch out. I don't mind a bit of sour cream, but each taco had a huge glob of the junk on top, impossible to scrape off. ::

I'll try the place again, but only dine-in.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 01-14-2008, 09:07 PM

I thought the place to be very noisy. We walked out. Maybe we'll try it when it's not so crowded.

lin
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.