Junk food dining preferences

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2017, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

There's a difference between a biker hangout and a biker bar. Sometimes subtle, sometimes not.

Anyhow Legends Cafe in Fruitland Park has some of the best "junk food" around.

Home

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
Hello Maverick46...

Currently my wife and I are considered "snowflakes" as we never know when we're going to drop into The Villages. We settled on our home Sept. 7th, just a few days before the hurricane. I was able to see first hand how well Village homes are built. Amorosa rolls! Tells me you may be from South Philly, we were born and raised there. Thus I can say you'll be very happy with almost any restaurant in TV. As international travelers we've been delighted with all our dining experiences during our brief visits to TV; Darrell's for breakfast, Red Sauce for "eggplant rollatini" appetizers, Fiesta Grande Grill for Mexican, Ricciardi's for Italian. BTW I believe I saw Tastykakes in Winn Dixie. Haven't seen any Frank's soda nor have I seen any postings about the Mummers!
Hey Ralph

I lived in NE Philly, Welsh road and the Boulevard for many years, more recently from the Lansdale/Quakertown area. No Frank's, no Mummers, no Amoroso's rolls, no tomato pie, and yesterday, just to put the nail in the coffin, I had to suffer through the Bears vs Tampa instead of getting the Eagles vs Kansas City. Ugh. At least Wawa is finally arriving and they do have a golf cart drill team. I guess that could kind of be like the mummers on wheels.

Vince
Old 09-18-2017, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick46 View Post
Hey Ralph

I lived in NE Philly, Welsh road and the Boulevard for many years, more recently from the Lansdale/Quakertown area. No Frank's, no Mummers, no Amoroso's rolls, no tomato pie, and yesterday, just to put the nail in the coffin, I had to suffer through the Bears vs Tampa instead of getting the Eagles vs Kansas City. Ugh. At least Wawa is finally arriving and they do have a golf cart drill team. I guess that could kind of be like the mummers on wheels.

Vince
You think you had to suffer the Bears vs. Tampa Bay? Have never had real Philadelphia food but look forward to it in an upcoming visit.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2017, 01:59 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
We have found a palatable tomato, I am not calling it a GOOD tomato, but it is a lot better than many. It's the Campari sold in plastic boxes at both Publix and Fresh Market, but we like Publix best. Only downside is that they are the small size, not the cherry, but the medium sized tomato. They are really worth trying. $4.99 for a 1lb box. I grew the Beefsteaks in NH and they were to die for, but I have not found a good Beefsteak here, they have that awful white thick core, must be the soil.

On the other hand it does not snow here, so snow versus tomato - um ................ no brainer.

But, we do miss a good Philly Steak ........... yes, we called them Philly Steaks in NH! I make my own here, Publix will thin slice the steak for you. Pretty good, but not the same as one made at the sandwich shop in Tamworth, NH.
Madelaine Amee: OMG! The tomatoes are fabulous--and I do not use the F-word lightly!! I simply cannot believe how sweet and juicy they are. I ate a small one. I bit a small piece off the bottom (so I could dip it in Kosher salt) and the top burst and squirted all over the place. So I tried another and bit a piece off the top (hey, I wasn't born yesterday) and popped the whole thing in my mouth. Unbelievable. YOU are now my BFF. Thank you! And thanks to BK for her corroboration!
Old 09-18-2017, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by dillywho
Don't know exactly what you meant by 'biker hangout', but our cardiologist is a biker and top-notch cardiologist. Probably isn't a 'wings' guy, though.
I drove a Kawasaki many years ago when I lived in St. Petersburg. Notice the bikes are Spyders, this place looks good, your cardiologist would probably go here.

The Villages Florida

This place doesn't look OK, your cardiologist probably wouldn't eat here and I wouldn't either.

The Villages Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick46
...and yesterday, just to put the nail in the coffin, I had to suffer through the Bears vs Tampa instead of getting the Eagles vs Kansas City.
You need to get use to it, the Bucs and Jaguars are the home teams for this area. However, NFL Sunday Ticket is available on Directv and in the past new subscripters were given the ticket for free the first year. I had Directv since I moved here in 2011 and watched my Ravens beat the Browns yesterday. I've never missed a Ravens games since they started in 1996. Directv even has free installation. My neighbor is a Eagles fan, so I give him my password and he can watch his team on his computer at this house.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:40 PM
Veteran member

I have Red Zone and see all the good plays from all the games.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Philly Cheese steak. Jersy Mike's is probably close, but not like a really good one from Philly.
Tried Jersey Mike's for the first time earlier this week. Had a craving for a cheese steak after reading these posts. We ordered the Big Kahuna Cheese Steak which is a Philly with mushrooms and jalapenos. Very generous toppings but all we could taste was the cheese. Not great for a $14 sandwich. Winn Dixie does a better job for $6.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:57 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdog View Post
Tried Jersey Mike's for the first time earlier this week. Had a craving for a cheese steak after reading these posts. We ordered the Big Kahuna Cheese Steak which is a Philly with mushrooms and jalapenos. Very generous toppings but all we could taste was the cheese. Not great for a $14 sandwich. Winn Dixie does a better job for $6.
$14?????
Old 09-22-2017, 04:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
$14?????
That's their foot long (which is actually 14 inch).
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give them a try.

I grew tomatoes in Massachusetts and they were awesome. I, too, figured that here it must be the soil. So on my first attempt, I sliced open ten of the 40 (?) pound bags of Miracle Gro Moisture Control potting soil. I planted ten plants seven varieties in the bags, puncturing the bottom for drrainage. They grew like crazy to five or six feet tall. And yielded a grand total of three tomatoes. Maybe insufficient pollination. And the three weren't that great. Go figure...
There was a very funny book called "The $64,000 Tomato" about a guy trying to grow decent tomatoes in his back yard, spending a fortune and still not getting a satisfactory tomato
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 09-22-2017, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
OK, here we go. Recently transplanted, looking for certain junk food dining preferences. Looking for suggestions on where to find the following:

Pizza-thin delicious crust, generous sauce, cheese and pepperoni. The crust and sauce are the two most important things.

Wings. You can call them Buffalo wings, where we come from, they're just wings. I like hotter, my wife like Honey BBQ. Usually served with sides of ranch dressing and celery.

Philly cheese steaks. OK, now you know where I'm from. Lots of people call them by that name, most don't even come close. Any recommendations? They don't seem to be able to get the really good Amoroso rolls down here.

Hoagies- again, that's what we called them, not subs or grinders. Any good ones around here? I heard Wawa is coming, that will help.

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Exception of jersey mikes Good luck! If you find some let us know
Old 09-25-2017, 03:57 PM

Walked across the street to Flipper's in Spanish Springs after bowling a few games.

Had a thin crust pepperoni pizza. Not bad at all. Could have used a little more sauce, maybe I'll order extra sauce next time.

I had to feel bad for the poor waitress, there was a table of 8 women behind us, they all asked for separate checks. Seriously ladies? Can't you just divide it by 8?

Definitely plan on checking out some of the other places mentioned though.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:32 PM

Jersey Mikes Subs has really good philly cheese steaks!
Old 09-25-2017, 04:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have been at tables with 12 and all had separate checks. Experienced waitstaff take it all in stride and don't appear to have any issues.

Quote:
Walked across the street to Flipper's in Spanish Springs after bowling a few games.

Had a thin crust pepperoni pizza. Not bad at all. Could have used a little more sauce, maybe I'll order extra sauce next time.

I had to feel bad for the poor waitress, there was a table of 8 women behind us, they all asked for separate checks. Seriously ladies? Can't you just divide it by 8?

Definitely plan on checking out some of the other places mentioned though.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:01 PM

You are correct! Unless a bridge or tunnel is built and that won't happen.
Closed Thread

Tags
wings, sauce, crust, cheese, preferences

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.