Junk food dining preferences

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2017, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give them a try.

I grew tomatoes in Massachusetts and they were awesome. I, too, figured that here it must be the soil. So on my first attempt, I sliced open ten of the 40 (?) pound bags of Miracle Gro Moisture Control potting soil. I planted ten plants seven varieties in the bags, puncturing the bottom for drrainage. They grew like crazy to five or six feet tall. And yielded a grand total of three tomatoes. Maybe insufficient pollination. And the three weren't that great. Go figure...
And I did a similar thing ..... made a garden entirely from black cow, grew huge tomato plants from heirloom seeds and when I got tomatoes the birds pecked each and every one before we could get there ..... Now, I just grow native flowering plants.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-17-2017, 11:51 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Pizza? Doesn't exist. Nearest is Big Bob's in Oklawaha but still just OK. Thin crust, good toppings, cooked well, but leaves something to be desired.

Wings none like Buffalo. Best I found is O'Shucks in Wildwood.

Philly Cheese steak. Jersy Mike's is probably close, but not like a really good one from Philly.

Publix can make a good hoagie, but you do need to get involved in the process.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give them a try.

I grew tomatoes in Massachusetts and they were awesome. I, too, figured that here it must be the soil. So on my first attempt, I sliced open ten of the 40 (?) pound bags of Miracle Gro Moisture Control potting soil. I planted ten plants seven varieties in the bags, puncturing the bottom for drrainage. They grew like crazy to five or six feet tall. And yielded a grand total of three tomatoes. Maybe insufficient pollination. And the three weren't that great. Go figure...
We bought a tomato container growing system from a garden store in Leesburg (the old town). It came with soil and fertilizer and a "shower cap" to cover the soil. Also, we bought a stand for the container so we wouldn't break our backs. The container was self-watering and held a lot of water.

I think we planted it in the late fall, with two plants (they were called Betsy or something like that--recommended by the garden store).
We got a ton of medium-sized tomatoes all winter long. They weren't PA tomatoes, but they were better than any we got at the farmers market.

I found that we experienced less waste due to spoilage with the medium size.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Wings at World of Beer, are pretty good but expensive, 5 for $7 although they'll probably give you 6, they're at Brownwood and now they have a new SS location. At Gators Dockside, I prefer the Brownwood location, they have a wings lunch special for $10.99 get 10 wings, fries, blu cheese and drink + celery add 75cents. Sonny's BBQ has good wings as well, they're at LSL. Three places to chose from that are good. Also if you're at World of Beer, on Mondays they have really good $5 hamburger.

Jersey Mike's Subs I discovered them during grand opening I think in 2014. Steak sub with grilled onions and peppers is very good and they bake their own bread rolls every morning before they open. Hoagies, cold cut subs are excellent as well, get it Mike's Way, that makes it easier and they have about a dozen choices. If you like greasy steak subs go to Beef O'Bradys, I'm not a fan. Johnny Rockets at LSL has a steak sub which is good in a pinch, but don't go out of your way. Actually I'm not a fan of the cheese whizz used in Philly, for the best steak sub go to Box Hill Pizza in Abingdon, MD exit 77B off I-95, also home to Maryland's best Crab Cakes.

Pizza, there is a current thread going on about who has the best, and if 50 people posted, there would be 25 different answers. Just do a search if you don't see it. I like the "MyPie", that's about a 9" pizza with drink for $6.99 at lunch at Flippers new location at Transverse Shopping Center at Brownwood. That's by the new Publix and Flipper's is on the end.
Agreed, John, agreed. Never did get the Cheese Wiz thing. Give me a nice coating of provolone on there, no WIZ. Yuk.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:16 PM

Anyone try the Wing House in Ocala?
Old 09-17-2017, 05:01 PM

Hello Maverick46...

Currently my wife and I are considered "snowflakes" as we never know when we're going to drop into The Villages. We settled on our home Sept. 7th, just a few days before the hurricane. I was able to see first hand how well Village homes are built. Amorosa rolls! Tells me you may be from South Philly, we were born and raised there. Thus I can say you'll be very happy with almost any restaurant in TV. As international travelers we've been delighted with all our dining experiences during our brief visits to TV; Darrell's for breakfast, Red Sauce for "eggplant rollatini" appetizers, Fiesta Grande Grill for Mexican, Ricciardi's for Italian. BTW I believe I saw Tastykakes in Winn Dixie. Haven't seen any Frank's soda nor have I seen any postings about the Mummers!
Old 09-17-2017, 08:11 PM
Sage

I like Ramshackle's in Leesburg wings get them grilled. My fav sauce is asian sesame but you can get different sauce.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

You know what I had forgotten about that is probably an artery clogger but I would risk it if it was here. Jack In The Box. I had two small tacos when we were in Vegas and wasn't ready for how good it was. It tasted like Alpo when they had the chain of them in NJ when I was younger. I gave up the Sub Sangwich, Pizza struggle here. Better to accept what we have than cry about it.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I like Ramshackle's in Leesburg wings get them grilled. My fav sauce is asian sesame but you can get different sauce.
I heard that place has good wings, do they have an air conditioned section or is it all outdoor. Looks like a biker hangout, is it probably OK for lunch?
Old 09-17-2017, 09:11 PM

Best Pizza I have had here has been Little Joeys Italian restaurant in Summerfield just outside of TV and Flippers pizza.
Best wings I have had here is Cody's roadhouse. Sit at the high top tables in the outside seating area and the bar menu is fantastic. Wings are .80 each and Big, juicy wings made the way you want them.
Someone told me that Derrell's Diner in Pinellas had great philly cheesesteaks. I have not personally tried them.
For Hoagies, Subs, Heroes - Jersey Mikes has the best around. Puts Subway to shame!
Old 09-17-2017, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We do our own wings at home marinate them overnight and then put them in the air fryer. Better than anything I've had since I've been here. Close to wings in Buffalo.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:42 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-325 View Post
Still have an annual campfire at White Lake state park up in Tamworth NH.. nice area
Small world. I lived in Tamworth NH until 7th grade and took swimming lessons at White Lake state park.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:42 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
I heard that place has good wings, do they have an air conditioned section or is it all outdoor. Looks like a biker hangout, is it probably OK for lunch?
Yes, Ramshackle is air conditioned inside and the food is great. What do you have against bikers? It is great for lunch or dinner.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:17 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
We have found a palatable tomato, I am not calling it a GOOD tomato, but it is a lot better than many. It's the Campari sold in plastic boxes at both Publix and Fresh Market, but we like Publix best. Only downside is that they are the small size, not the cherry, but the medium sized tomato. They are really worth trying. $4.99 for a 1lb box.
So far these Campari's that we purchased at Publix's are the best I have found in this area.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:47 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Don't know exactly what you meant by 'biker hangout', but our cardiologist is a biker and top-notch cardiologist. Probably isn't a 'wings' guy, though.

Never eaten there, but might want to try (just don't tell our doc).
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Closed Thread

Tags
wings, sauce, crust, cheese, preferences

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.