Katie belles-yuk

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DottieL View Post
We totally agree, Katie Belles food is terrible, the accoustics are bad and they really don't have any accomodations for the handicap! What kind of representation is this for a wonderful, active retirement community? Wake up people, you are not doing the right thing.
Boy howdy.

And Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Boy howdy.

And Welcome to the forum.
This is the second "Boy Howdy" in this thread and about the 300th I've seen in the last few months. Always seems to follow someone's first post on the forum. Is this a way of expressing displeasure because someone's first post is contrary to your opinion?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

Maybe missing something here but isn't there two places----Katie Belle's down and Cattle Baron Club upstairs? We have always Gone upstairs. With the right balcony table upstairs you can view the entertainment and enjoy your food and it's a bit quieter. The only place reserved for Villager's and guests----enjoyable occasionally and it is what it is.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

is there still a Cattle Baron's upstairs KB??

Last time there 2-4 years ago....seemed like the CB was an attempt at trying to be a better dining experience. They never attained that from our limited experience.

They are part of a long list of too many restaurants that rank no better than an OK.

Everybody's taste is different as well as their opinion regarding food. I for one have said there is no real "fine" dining in TV. There are a few good places to eat that are way above the rest like Bonefish Grille. Then the many OK ones and then far too many wannabes.

Fine dining aside....there is no magic to a successful restaurant here in TV (or anywhere else for that matter)...
clean
excellent service
excellent food
reasonable pricing
excellent service

(like Bonefish Grille!!!)

yet how many have come and gone in the 9 years we have been here.

btk
Old 02-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimball View Post
This is the second "Boy Howdy" in this thread and about the 300th I've seen in the last few months. Always seems to follow someone's first post on the forum. Is this a way of expressing displeasure because someone's first post is contrary to your opinion?
Kimball: Of course "boy howdy" is a good old' southern slang term that has multiple meanings. I've heard it most of my life. In looking at what somebody has posted, it could mean---surprised at the "harshness"of your post. Like I said it has a number of meanings. Gracie, I'm sure will fill you in! Boy Howdy.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Default Apologists

This is my first ever reply but why can't a person make a comment about an experience in the Villages without being subtly attacked for it.

"Did you contact the manager" - implies that if you didn't your observation/standing as an upright citizen is questionable.

"Good more room for me" -needs no explanation.

The apologists in this forum always make you feel welcome, Not!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
No. It is a dialect spoken in the midwest.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzschmidt View Post
This is my first ever reply but why can't a person make a comment about an experience in the Villages without being subtly attacked for it.

"Did you contact the manager" - implies that if you didn't your observation/standing as an upright citizen is questionable.

"Good more room for me" -needs no explanation.

The apologists in this forum always make you feel welcome, Not!
Franzel,

Ja. But what would we do with our time when it's kinda cold to play golf or swim?

And...people who live here for awhile take a little ownership and pride in things. Not that all things are perfect but most of us are about as happy as we have ever been and sometimes are surprised at what we think are ...well.

You are right. We should just agree.

I am the worst.

Welkommen. My brothers name is Franz.

I hope you enjoy the give and take. I don't think anyone really means to attack anyone. Some of us are far more defensive of this wonderful place than others. I am frequently thought to work for the developers.

I ain't right.

Hang around, you will see.

Kindest wishes,
Gracie
Old 02-01-2013, 10:58 AM

Franz, I would invite you to look at a couple of thread about this topic. Please add your thoughts if you like.

How do you go about being non-judgemental.

and

Do we have to be so intolerant.

I'm sorry I don't know how to put the link to those threads in, maybe so one will help me out.

They are both in the main TV discussion list.

As to your two examples, I guess I'm OK with someone asking if you complained. Although one of those was kind of harshly worded. The "good more room for me" comments and "well don't move here if you don't like it" stuff is just rude by anyone's measure.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I tend to agree that in the context it was used, I take it as an expression of non-approval. Here is the meaning I found...

Boy howdy” is another Southernism, usually attributed to Texas and evidently popular in that state. It’s a simple combination of the exclamation “Boy!” (indicating surprise) and our friend “Howdy,” together used to mean “Wow!” or to indicate strong agreement with a statement or question (“Was your mom mad at you?” “Boy howdy! I’m grounded for a month.”). The phrase seems to have been popularized in the years after World War I, when returning soldiers who had heard it from Texans in the service brought it back to civilian life. A related form, “boy hidy,” is a fairly weird but nonetheless popular variation. Texas, land of mystery.

Anyway...off topic again.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC1947 View Post
I tend to agree that in the context it was used, I take it as an expression of non-approval. Here is the meaning I found...

Boy howdy” is another Southernism, usually attributed to Texas and evidently popular in that state. It’s a simple combination of the exclamation “Boy!” (indicating surprise) and our friend “Howdy,” together used to mean “Wow!” or to indicate strong agreement with a statement or question (“Was your mom mad at you?” “Boy howdy! I’m grounded for a month.”). The phrase seems to have been popularized in the years after World War I, when returning soldiers who had heard it from Texans in the service brought it back to civilian life. A related form, “boy hidy,” is a fairly weird but nonetheless popular variation. Texas, land of mystery.

Thank you. It is kind of like the VERY old joke about the girl who went to charm school and learned to say FANTASTIC instead of....... lllll

I said Boy Howdy because I am ALWAYS surprised when someone's first post is negative. There are so many positive things to say about just about everything here in this wonderful place for seniors to live. And if you don't like Katie Belles...well. You may be right....and you may be wrong.

Who gives ME the right to be positive? The same nobody who gives anybody the right to be negative.

We just have to be who we are.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Sage

Hey folks---we need to "lighten up" a bit and not be so sensitive. If a post says something is bad that is their opinion. If a post says something is good that is their opinion. Reasonable people will disagree. "I'm a man of fixed and unbending principle, the first is to be flexible at all times.". Anonymous I like that----could have said----Boy Howdy!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC1947 View Post

I agree, it generally seems to be used as an expression of displeasure. Anytime something less that stellar is posted about The Villages, some people get very defensive. Most of us just ignore it.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Eternal Member

Cattle Baron is one of our favorite places to go. We have been here 12 1/2/ years and have seen a lot of changes to Katie Belles / Cattle Baron. I love sitting on the balcony having a drink & always enjoy dinner there.
Katie Belles doesn't have the greatest food, but there are several things on the menu that I like. I'm pretty easy to please.
I remember going on Tuesdays for the $1.00 burger then going upstairs to shoot pool.
Ya gotta LOVE the Villages. There is something for everyone !!!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:27 AM

I seem to be talking a lot about civility lately, and if you're sick of hearing it from me, I do apologize.

Gracie, as I've said many times, I respect you greatly and do understand how much you love this place. Boy Howdy, is a pretty darn mild response. But I would point out this thread is "Katie Belles-Yuk". That really invites other negatives by it's very name. So it's not like the poster was going out of their way to be negative, just piling on. I guess I see that a bit different than a first post that is negative out of the clear blue.

Jim, I would point to what the Admin said the other. We should talk about the subject, not the posters. And here I go addressing you and Gracie directly (I probably shouldn't but you both have good points.) The Katie Belle discussion has been pretty frank and strong. But nearly all the posts are, "I hate the place", or "I love the place". I think these are fine. It's when the posts are personal people get a bit put off, and rightly so in my opinion. "Good more for me" and even "Boy howdy" when you don't know how it's meant could be off putting.

Again, I know I've been talking about this for awhile now. But I would like to tell you all, I continue to get frequent PMs from people saying either they never post or they used to post and stopped because of the rude comments. It's all well and good to say to lighten up, and I agree. But when comments seemed to be personal, most people are not going to take those well.

I know I seem to be going crazy with the "play nice" statements. I do want to point out these are not always my first reaction. There are occassional times here that I really want to get in people's faces and tell them what jerks they are being. I just try to listen to my better angels and resist doing so.

OK, feel free to tell me to shut the hell up.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.