Let’s talk Coffee ☕️

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2022, 12:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

We order our Jamaica Blue, and Kona on line from the islands. At least 3 times a year someone we know travels to the islands, so worth it. Pour over coffee, or French press is a experience. I can’t remember last time we drank coffee in a restaurant. In a pinch Starbucks will do, but prefer a roaster.

We only drink one cup of coffee a day, so it’s worth it to have really good coffee for us.
Old 08-17-2022, 01:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Costco used to carry a Kona blend that was pretty good but they DC'ed maybe three years ago. My wife and I are heavy coffee drinkers and do miss it.

Where can one get whole-bean Kona coffee for home use?
I used to home roast for many years. I quit when my last roaster quit. Got started with Sweet Maria’s. I buy whole bean from two sources now.

Coffee Bean Direct - Shop Coffee Beans Online - Free Shipping

Coffee Hawaii | Kona Purple Mountain.
This company is just as the website says. Family owned and if you call them you will most likely talk to Donna. We have been buying coffee from them over 20 years.

We also use this coffee maker.

Moccamaster USA: Premium Pour-Over Coffee Brewers
Old 08-17-2022, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,496 Posts

Order k cups from Tim Horton. That is my favorite. Black, no milk, sugar or other flavors.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
Good Day. Sorry I do not have an answer for you, but I do have a question. Back in my past life in NY I had a french press and would grind either Jamaica Blue, Hawaiin Kona or a mix of Guatemala/Antigua. I'd get the burlap bags whole bean and grind it right before making a cup. With the advent of K cups, and life getting busier (not retired yet) I have switched to a K cup for my morning coffee (Cuisinart K Cup brewer). I have tried many many brands (even the types mentioned above) but have not found one that is "consistently" good. I try brand xyz and it is great. Brew the next cup of xyz and not so great. The water I use is consistent (spring). Temperature the same but the taste still varies. Do you have any suggestion of a kcup that you like? Thanks.
Get a reusable plastic/mesh filter, and use whatever burlap bag of whole bean coffee you like in your k-cup coffeemaker. You'll save a LOT of money, and you'll waste less plastic since the only thing you'll be throwing away are the coffee grounds (which you could just dump into your garden if you're into the ecology thing).

I have a Keurig Cafe, which has a magnet-powered milk steamer/frother and can make 2-oz shots, 6-oz, 8-oz, or 12-oz cups of coffee. I use Cafe Bustelo from the 10-ounce bag and make a fresh cup of cappuccino every morning.

If you use the fine-ground (or espresso grind), you'll need a paper filter in the plastic filter. You can buy those at Walmart or on Amazon. Sometimes the supermarkets have them in stock too.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Buying hopefully very soon in TV - will probably be new build in the south. Question - is their a good coffee roaster in TV? Also, I enjoy my morning coffee out at coffee place. I enjoyed the Starbucks at LSL, but is there anything south of that? Dunkin’ Donuts, Panera Bread or McDonalds don’t cut it. Does Sawgrass have a coffee place with sitting, and if so what time does it open. Thank you my future friends and neighbors for your help. Will be back for second lifestyle visit next week! 😀
I buy green beans and roast my own. Make it the way I want it. Soooo fresh.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Costco used to carry a Kona blend that was pretty good but they DC'ed maybe three years ago. My wife and I are heavy coffee drinkers and do miss it.

Where can one get whole-bean Kona coffee for home use?
I buy on line and roast my own
Old 08-17-2022, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Newman’s Own Organic Special Blend Medium Roast K Cups work for me.
Old 08-17-2022, 10:30 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Geeeez you people take your coffee seriously.

I buy any small can coffee that's the cheapest I can find and consume 4 cups a day.
I use Mr. Coffee drip coffee maker, decaf, with a little milk.

I also refuse to order coffee in any restaurant, it's overpriced and sometimes to weak.
Best deal on a decent cup of coffee is McDonald’s. .79 cents and a free refill if you want it.
Old 08-18-2022, 12:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

For me Starbucks could go out of business and nothing will be lost. Partly because I don’t like their coffee and partly because they can just have small, medium and large. For the most part l like my little 12 cup pot in the morning. Dunkin’ and McDonalds are great for ice coffee in my book. I generally don’t go to specialty shops either. Sitting on the lanai or front screened room with coffee is the best for us.
Old 08-18-2022, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Buying hopefully very soon in TV - will probably be new build in the south. Question - is their a good coffee roaster in TV? Also, I enjoy my morning coffee out at coffee place. I enjoyed the Starbucks at LSL, but is there anything south of that? Dunkin’ Donuts, Panera Bread or McDonalds don’t cut it. Does Sawgrass have a coffee place with sitting, and if so what time does it open. Thank you my future friends and neighbors for your help. Will be back for second lifestyle visit next week! 😀
You have Golden Hills coffee at the Sawgrass Market. Local roaster out of Groveland. Soon, you will have Foxtail Coffee at Magnolia Plaza. It’ll have a drive thru as well. Local roaster from Orlando. They have one open already on US27/441 near Spanish Springs.

Both of them offer good, fresh roasted coffee’s.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:24 AM

To answer the OP"s question: The Golden Hills Coffee shop in Sawgrass is now open. I had heard 7:30am. I've had their French Press and their pour over. It was good but pricey. Reveille Cafe at Magnolia plaza opens at 7 which is probably the closest to new construction. The Standard CLCL in The Center for Advanced Healthcare in Brownwood shows up in my search and they open at 8 but are closed on weekends.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:31 AM
Default Let’s talk Coffee

I buy Aldi’s German Coffee, and put 1 tbs of coffee ice cream in it. Delicious
Old 08-18-2022, 05:58 AM
Default Kona Coffee

Home Goods usually has a Kona blend and so does World Market in Winter Garden. You can also mail order from
Hawaiian Isles (which is the brand at World Market). There’s also a World Market in Wesley Chapel.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
yes there is one (haven't tried) in sawgrass.

For a roaster, we use Joffrey's which we order online and they ship it. The are located in Tampa and are the main supplier for DisneyWorld. The coffee is quite good.

the do have a shop in Disney Springs if you want to try it first
Old 08-18-2022, 06:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
Good Day. Sorry I do not have an answer for you, but I do have a question. Back in my past life in NY I had a french press and would grind either Jamaica Blue, Hawaiin Kona or a mix of Guatemala/Antigua. I'd get the burlap bags whole bean and grind it right before making a cup. With the advent of K cups, and life getting busier (not retired yet) I have switched to a K cup for my morning coffee (Cuisinart K Cup brewer). I have tried many many brands (even the types mentioned above) but have not found one that is "consistently" good. I try brand xyz and it is great. Brew the next cup of xyz and not so great. The water I use is consistent (spring). Temperature the same but the taste still varies. Do you have any suggestion of a kcup that you like? Thanks.
Try the Peet’s Coffee, Major Dickason’s Blend k-cups. Inexpensive if you buy a box of six dozen from Amazon.
Closed Thread

Tags
coffee, south, place, let’s, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.