Vietnamese Cuisine

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2018, 03:17 AM
Thumbs up Vietnamese Cuisine

I really enjoy this food and in particular a good bowl of Pho. I see a new Vietnamese restaurant will soon be opening on 301 at the SE corner of 466. Does anyone know anything about the owners and their experience in the restaurant business ?
Old 12-30-2018, 10:04 AM
Veteran member

I don't know anything about it but i'm in when it opens...!
Old 12-30-2018, 10:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

I hope they make a good Ho Chi Minh stew.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Are Pot Stickers Vietnamese? I love them.

You can get good ones frozen at Publix.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:52 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Pot stickers are usually found at Chinese restaurants. Here is a link to a good representation of a menu at a Vietnamese restaurant.

Menus for Mekong Vietnamese Restaurant - Saint Petersburg - SinglePlatform
Old 12-30-2018, 01:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

Quote:

Better know a spring rolls, in Vietnamese homes
Old 12-30-2018, 01:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Better know a spring rolls, in Vietnamese homes
I think of spring rolls as another separate thing from pot stickers.

The reason I ask is that the first time I had pot stickers was when we were invited to a celebration by a Vietnamese couple, they served pot stickers.

Pot stickers are kind of wet and sticky and usually have pork inside and spring rolls usually have chicken or vegetables and they are dry on the outside, or at least that is what I have always thought and I am no expert on Asian food. I do like it, but I have to be careful because of my shellfish allergy. So I make it at home or buy it frozen so I can see what is in it.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-30-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

Quote:

The reason I ask is that the first time I had pot stickers was when we were invited to a celebration by a Vietnamese couple, they served pot stickers.

Pot stickers are kind of wet and sticky and usually have pork inside and spring rolls usually have chicken or vegetables and they are dry on the outside, or at least that is what I have always thought and I am no expert on Asian food. I do like it, but I have to be careful because of my shellfish allergy. So I make it at home or buy it frozen so I can see what is in it.
We have off the boat Vietnamese in our family, her rolls have no meat, uses rice paper, and her kimchi will knock your socks off. She will only cook What has been passed on for generations. She refuses to add or change. Her Pho is the best I have had since Vietnam. her children all born in US only changes recipes when she is not in their house, but never adds meat to their rolls. That why I equate them to spring rolls. She has never made a pot sticker, rice paper would not allow, but In my head I can hear her saying why waste time, too little filling, just make right way, ROLLS

Last edited by thelegges; 12-30-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:39 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
We have off the boat Vietnamese in our family, her rolls have no meat, uses rice paper, and her kimchi will knock your socks off. She will only cook What has been passed on for generations. She refuses to add or change. Her Pho is the best I have had since Vietnam. her children all born in US only changes recipes when she is not in their house, but never adds meat to their rolls. That why I equate them to spring rolls. She has never made a pot sticker, rice paper would not allow, but In my head I can hear her saying why waste time, too little filling, just make right way, ROLLS
Those sound like Summer Rolls. Rolled in rice paper with nothing but veggies inside, served with a dipping sauce of soy sauce,a touch of fish sauce and mirin ( sweet rice wine). That and a bowl of Chicken Pho equal Nirvana.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:43 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:

Gracie; Sam's Club has a box of easy to make Chicken Potstickers from Ajinimoto in the freezer section. 5 trays of 12 rolls plus dipping sauce. Last for months in your freezer. All self contained, just open the package, put it in a skillet and cook them for about 12 minutes. Left overs can be eaten the next day or 2.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:09 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Love kimchi. Do you have a recipe to share?
Old 01-02-2019, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Love kimchi. Do you have a recipe to share?
Don't you have to bury cabbage in the ground to make real kimchi? Better to just buy it in a jar at the grocery store.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Don't you have to bury cabbage in the ground to make real kimchi? Better to just buy it in a jar at the grocery store.
You don’t have to bury it, although that can happen in areas with severe cold. Often it is put on the roof of the home.

I have made it several times myself and it is much better than the store bought variety—though I have had that, too. The store brands I find are either miid or medium spicy, which is to say no spice. Maybe since we just started “winter,” I should make a batch. It does take time to ferment however.

Last edited by Henryk; 01-03-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
You don’t have to bury it, although that can happen in areas with severe cold. Often it is put on the roof of the home.

I have made it several times myself and it is much better than the store bought variety—though I have had that, too. The store brands I find are either miid or medium spicy, which is to say no spice. Maybe since we just started “winter,” I should make a batch. It does take time to ferment however.
It is fermented cabbage, sort of like sauerkraut with hot sauce?
Old 01-03-2019, 07:13 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,310 Times in 381 Posts

Go to any china town area in a major city and ask for “potstickers”...lol

They are called dumplings!
Closed Thread

Tags
vietnamese, restaurant, experience, corner, business

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.