China Buffet, Wedgewood Lane (466)

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2015, 09:18 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joan Testa
Default China Buffet, Wedgewood Lane (466)

I've never been much of a fan of buffets but I am really impressed by the selection, quality, cleanliness and service of China Buffet near Ace Hardware in the Publix Center on Wedgewood Drive (466). They just had a grand-reopening today, having completely redecorated the interior, expanded the kitchen and enlarged to 4 buffet table lines. Every item I tasted was good, but I have to admit, I made a pig of myself on the crab legs with drawn butter, huge cold shrimp and steamed clams. My friends loved the kung pao chicken best. Their lunches are a bargain and $12.50 for all you can eat dinner is fine by me!
Old 01-02-2015, 09:28 PM

It used to be the worst of the worst!
Old 01-03-2015, 01:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Testa View Post
I've never been much of a fan of buffets but I am really impressed by the selection, quality, cleanliness and service of China Buffet near Ace Hardware in the Publix Center on Wedgewood Drive (466). They just had a grand-reopening today, having completely redecorated the interior, expanded the kitchen and enlarged to 4 buffet table lines. Every item I tasted was good, but I have to admit, I made a pig of myself on the crab legs with drawn butter, huge cold shrimp and steamed clams. My friends loved the kung pao chicken best. Their lunches are a bargain and $12.50 for all you can eat dinner is fine by me!
You are the second person who has started a thread about the positive changes at China Buffet.
It is very good to hear positive feedback on restaurants.
Thank you for starting this thread!
Old 01-03-2015, 09:35 AM
Gold member

I tried to eat there once. I asked for a takeaway. The lady seemed to not understand, so I said, "Carry out." Finally, I pointed at the Styrofoam boxes. She looked quite pi55ed off and glared at me as she said, "To go!" Then she said, "NO SHE FOO!" She could tell we were still have commo problems, and said, "To go...no fish!" I left, and got a burger at Steak and Shake.

Last edited by TheVillageChicken; 01-10-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:34 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I am waiting for Bonny's review before proceeding
Old 01-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Eternal Member

We have always liked that place. We go quite often. Their food is always good and they always take good care of the buffet. So glad to see it got some remodeling. It was definitely needed.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:44 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Yes, I saw you there once
Old 01-03-2015, 11:07 AM
Eternal Member

We might go there tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:12 AM
Platinum member

I'll stop in myself when I get into that area, but does anyone know about their MSG content?
Old 01-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Platinum member

If memory serves me correctly China Buffet was closed by the health department six months ago. While everyone deserves a second chance, I can't bring myself to go back there. Many if not all restaurants have some health code violations but how many restaurants do you know have so many critical violations that they're actually shut down.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryoung View Post
If memory serves me correctly China Buffet was closed by the health department six months ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Testa View Post
I've never been much of a fan of buffets but I am really impressed by the selection, quality, cleanliness and service of China Buffet near Ace Hardware in the Publix Center on Wedgewood Drive (466). They just had a grand-reopening today, having completely redecorated the interior, expanded the kitchen and enlarged to 4 buffet table lines.
That is the whole point of this thread! The fact that China Buffet has changed.
Apparently, according to reviews, China Buffet has renovated, remodelled, the food is good, and people are impressed by the cleanliness.
I vote to give them a chance.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:30 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryoung View Post
If memory serves me correctly China Buffet was closed by the health department six months ago. While everyone deserves a second chance, I can't bring myself to go back there. Many if not all restaurants have some health code violations but how many restaurants do you know have so many critical violations that they're actually shut down.
gryoung: you may want to research the state's Health Department website. It would appear if this restaurant did a complete restoration they corrected the issues that created their problem. Again it may be a psychological issue as it is for many and then anything they did or will do in the future is going to make a difference. To each his own
Old 01-03-2015, 04:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
gryoung: you may want to research the state's Health Department website. It would appear if this restaurant did a complete restoration they corrected the issues that created their problem. Again it may be a psychological issue as it is for many and then anything they did or will do in the future is going to make a difference. To each his own
I was mistaken it was March 2014, nine months ago when China Buffet closed. If you search "China Buffet" on TOTV there were several posts about the incident. Here is the violations summary for China Buffet https://www.myfloridalicense.com/ins...716&id=4090709
You can search by restaurant on this page https://www.myfloridalicense.com/wl1...arch=Name&typ= Then click on date to get the report summary.

If you are not concerned by a restaurant's management or oversight of sanitary practices, then go ahead and enjoy. I'm certain in my lifetime that I have eaten in restaurants that were equally as bad or worse and survived. But I can't get past the image to try this one again.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
That is the whole point of this thread! The fact that China Buffet has changed.
Apparently, according to reviews, China Buffet has renovated, remodelled, the food is good, and people are impressed by the cleanliness.
I vote to give them a chance.
I guess the best solution is to wait for a new health report. If they have cleaned up their act, they won't have any of the "nasty" violations......I know mostly ALL resturants have those kinda trivial minor violations.

They deserve a new chance. If it has not changed, it won't take long for it to show.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

gerryann - The restaurant had to have inspections *before* it was allowed to open after having been closed down! This remodel is above and beyond the correction of violations. For your comfort you can call Florida Health and they will tell you when the next inspection is set for that restaurant.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.