Mallory CC dinner tonight: AWFUL!!

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2011, 03:10 AM
Veteran member

Working at a private cc up in PA I've seen the members have some "less than ideal dinning experiences". I chat it up with the kitchen folks daily and even I have been "forgotten" when they were supposed to make my lunch. There are many reasons and people to blame but , from what I have observed, it typically revolves around a sudden avalanche of patrons. Has anyone had a bad experience when the restaraunt is empty? We have not had a bad experiemce yet but expect one depending on the number of times we eat out. Odds are........

Now if it happens 2 or 3 times in a row I'd be suspect of the establishment....
Old 03-24-2011, 05:51 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

There is a very easy to understand problem here. If I took a poll of 1000 Villagers on CC food quality, I would have a fairly consistent pattern. Lopez, Palmer and Cane Garden would be at the top, Glenview close, OB and Hacienda in the middle and Tierra, Mallory and Havana at the bottom. Order might vary by one position or so but it would be close. They all have the same buildings and kitchens and parking lots. They all hire their staff from the same pool of talent and they all have the same customer base. There is only one difference of any significance. Now I have been accused of being in an ivory tower, even snarky for saying this, but that is just the lack of knowledge of those people. Management is the only difference. If I shifted those managers right by 4 places, within 90 days the pattern would follow the management.

Follow Warren Buffett. He only buys companies with solid management that have a proven track record. Now yes, that leads to good earnings history, low debt to equity, and solid value, but it is because of the management. Follow the successful mutual funds and it always because of the management. Listen to Adam Bold or Ric Edelman and there whole sales pitch is the mutual fund manager.

Can good managers fail? Sure. Usually as a result of an outside force. War, earthquake, flood, fire, or some event outside their control. 100% of all problems in any business are owned by the management of that business. Good managers solve those problems and deliver results. I don't care what the business is the rule is the same.

The good places to eat have good management. The bad ones ...........
Old 03-24-2011, 06:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
There is a very easy to understand problem here. If I took a poll of 1000 Villagers on CC food quality, I would have a fairly consistent pattern. Lopez, Palmer and Cane Garden would be at the top, Glenview close, OB and Hacienda in the middle and Tierra, Mallory and Havana at the bottom. Order might vary by one position or so but it would be close. They all have the same buildings and kitchens and parking lots. They all hire their staff from the same pool of talent and they all have the same customer base. There is only one difference of any significance. Now I have been accused of being in an ivory tower, even snarky for saying this, but that is just the lack of knowledge of those people. Management is the only difference. If I shifted those managers right by 4 places, within 90 days the pattern would follow the management.

Follow Warren Buffett. He only buys companies with solid management that have a proven track record. Now yes, that leads to good earnings history, low debt to equity, and solid value, but it is because of the management. Follow the successful mutual funds and it always because of the management. Listen to Adam Bold or Ric Edelman and there whole sales pitch is the mutual fund manager.

Can good managers fail? Sure. Usually as a result of an outside force. War, earthquake, flood, fire, or some event outside their control. 100% of all problems in any business are owned by the management of that business. Good managers solve those problems and deliver results. I don't care what the business is the rule is the same.

Oh where is the hugging icon? You are so right....as usual. GREAT words, all put together so right!!

Oh and I so agree.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:09 AM

good for you chief, we need more attitudes like that.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post

A very interesting perspective. By the way, how do you explain the fact that Glenview (One of your Good choices) and Mallory (One of your stinko places) are both run by the same person, Randy Perkins.

Actually I think both of these are mediocre at best. Common to both, and Cane Garde, is their very poor treatment of Golf Groups of 12 - 20 players, none of whom they allow to sit down until all are present. They think it's OK to make Group #1 wait 30-40 minutes until the group on the 14th green finishes # 18. When I finish my round I want to sit down, have a drink and order a meal. I don't want to be bullied by an arrogant Manager of Hostess who have no conception that golfers don't want to wait until the last group finishes to be seated.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalibaba View Post
A very interesting perspective. By the way, how do you explain the fact that Glenview (One of your Good choices) and Mallory (One of your stinko places) are both run by the same person, Randy Perkins.

Actually I think both of these are mediocre at best. Common to both, and Cane Garde, is their very poor treatment of Golf Groups of 12 - 20 players, none of whom they allow to sit down until all are present. They think it's OK to make Group #1 wait 30-40 minutes until the group on the 14th green finishes # 18. When I finish my round I want to sit down, have a drink and order a meal. I don't want to be bullied by an arrogant Manager of Hostess who have no conception that golfers don't want to wait until the last group finishes to be seated.
This very same thing happens to our Friday group everytime we play Glenview. We still play Glenview but afterwards our group meets at Beef O' Brady's for lunch. Rediculous to make 4 people wait for the next 3 foursomes.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am sorry to hear this. So we can better understand, please tell us what the waitress said that was rude and what was awful about the two meals.

No need for you to feel humiliated in front of your guests unless you cooked it, unless they think that you have no taste in restaurants.(Bet they know better than that.)

Had you been there before? Sometimes the best cooks are ....taking their kids on Spring break??? It all rests on WHO is manning the fry pots back there, and I am beginning to think that good cooks aren't as available as they used to be and that includes in peoples homes too.

Please just tell us what was bad and what the waitress said and more details.

This could be cause to call out the girls.

I read some of your past posts and it seems that you have rented since January and will return home the end of March. Overall, how do you like it here?

Kindest wishes,
Gracie
Let me clarify a few things to all of you that have posted comments. I DO love just about everything in The Villages, own a home, have been down here for 3 years, and have tried just about every restaurant around (including all of the country clubs). We even ate at Mallory twice in the last couple of months, so it is not like that was the first time there.
My deductions from our experience last night:
- Their "special" dinners leave a little bit to be desired........guess, that's why they are priced lower.......For example, a previous taco dinner, on a Tuesday night.......meat was dry, toppings (lettuce, tomato,etc.) were skimpy. Last night was the BBQ special......ribs (ok), pulled pork (dry), cole slaw (served in a plastic cup), and cobbler (the equivalent of one tablespoon in a plastic cup).

- The server/waitress.........she was great. Not her fault that the food took 45 minutes to arrive after we ordered.

- The manager...... a different story. Sorry, but I don't think her rolling her eyes was appropriate behavior. We were not rude, my father worked in the restaurant business all his life, and we understand the trials of running a restaurant. No excuse to make customers feel uncomfortable.

- My husband ordered salmon which was tremendously overcooked. He returned the meal, and did not request another because he did not want to inconvenience everyone else in our party.

- We like to eat out, and understand the pros and cons to what we have in The Villages. For just the two of us.......a poor night at an establishment.......no problem. Now, in terms of taking visiting friends out.......maybe we'll stick to cookouts........;P
Old 03-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOstrich View Post
Let me clarify a few things to all of you that have posted comments. I DO love just about everything in The Villages, own a home, have been down here for 3 years, and have tried just about every restaurant around (including all of the country clubs). We even ate at Mallory twice in the last couple of months, so it is not like that was the first time there.
My deductions from our experience last night:
- Their "special" dinners leave a little bit to be desired........guess, that's why they are priced lower.......For example, a previous taco dinner, on a Tuesday night.......meat was dry, toppings (lettuce, tomato,etc.) were skimpy. Last night was the BBQ special......ribs (ok), pulled pork (dry), cole slaw (served in a plastic cup), and cobbler (the equivalent of one tablespoon in a plastic cup).

- The server/waitress.........she was great. Not her fault that the food took 45 minutes to arrive after we ordered.

- The manager...... a different story. Sorry, but I don't think her rolling her eyes was appropriate behavior. We were not rude, my father worked in the restaurant business all his life, and we understand the trials of running a restaurant. No excuse to make customers feel uncomfortable.

- My husband ordered salmon which was tremendously overcooked. He returned the meal, and did not request another because he did not want to inconvenience everyone else in our party.

- We like to eat out, and understand the pros and cons to what we have in The Villages. For just the two of us.......a poor night at an establishment.......no problem. Now, in terms of taking visiting friends out.......maybe we'll stick to cookouts........;P
This defininitely clarifies your experience. Yes...it probably embarrassed you while you were at Mallory. Sorry this happened. No ...mgr. should NOT roll her eyes. That's disgusting!

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 03-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
I would think floor manager would be more appropriate in this case not General Mgr. If he's running both he certainly can't do it at the same time.

But I think Glenview and Mallory are close in the middle not very far from each other, IMHO.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:

Big Al,

I hear you on this - but think of it from their perspective. If they have set aside tables for another 12 people after the first 8 arrive, they have vacant tables at what could be a busy time of day. Also, think of the other folks wanting lunch and seeing 8 people taking up more than double their space.

This is one think that I think Havana has been good at. If you have a large group, they will seat you the first back and take your order. As the others arrive they also order. Sometimes they can't keep the whole group together, but they do try.

To your point though, they are a restaurant at a GOLF club - they need to be more flexible in this I think. Creative ideas, anyone?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Veteran member

Why do 12-20 people have to "sit together" and all eat and drink together at the same time? You can only converse with a few people near by. I have been out with 10 people and you can't converse with a couple of them in any seating arrangement. So what if you have multiple different seatings and multiple smaller groups.

If I finish golfing I'm not going to wait 30-40 minutes for the last group, who I will barely be able to see let alone talk to, before I order food and drinks.

Get over the group simultaneous eating and drinking fest and use some common sense!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
Why do 12-20 people have to "sit together" and all eat and drink together at the same time? You can only converse with a few people near by. I have been out with 10 people and you can't converse with a couple of them in any seating arrangement. So what if you have multiple different seatings and multiple smaller groups.

If I finish golfing I'm not going to wait 30-40 minutes for the last group, who I will barely be able to see let alone talk to, before I order food and drinks.

Get over the group simultaneous eating and drinking fest and use some common sense!

Can't speak for other golfing groups but we use this time to "settle up" on the game winnings and to gather info for the following week's game; etc; who will put the request in, who will make the game up and who will be in what group. More a matter of convienance than anything else.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X View Post
I laugh every time i see threads like this. Maybe I don't get it though, so it's probably me. Last Friday I stopped at a restaurant in Sumpter Landing and asked to be seated outside. I was the only patron outside, maybe because it was mid-afternoon and 85 degrees. Regardless, I was forgotten out there. 25 minutes later when the hostess brought another couple out to seat them, I asked if I could be waited on. She apologized and took my order. When my drink was served, it was the wrong drink. It was practically an hour before I had my food and the right drink in front of me. I laughed to myself about it and when I left, I paid my bill, said thanks and left my typical 20% tip. Will I go back? Certainly. People make mistakes. Should we expect more when we are paying for a service? Sure, but things happen now and then.
I see many posts on here about the horrible this, the horrible that, bad drivers, bad food, helicopters flying too low. You know what? I love it here and will spend the rest of my days here.
The best part about my comment here is that I'm a rude New Yorker, go figure.
I really love your attitude.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:25 AM

Chief X,
You are the kind of person who makes The Villages among the finest places on earth in which to live.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schotzyb View Post
Can't speak for other golfing groups but we use this time to "settle up" on the game winnings and to gather info for the following week's game; etc; who will put the request in, who will make the game up and who will be in what group. More a matter of convienance than anything else.
This kinda soulds like an entitlement issue... disregarding the fact that these are business' that need to be run in the best interest of all customers not a specific percentage or group.
Remember that large groups, even if they arrive at the same time, are inefficient to service...and otherwise on the cost prohibitive side, especially when it is busy(snow-bird season). These operators, as businessmen, need to capitalize on every available seat in their restaurants this time of year, so that they are able to stick around to take care of us in the harsh summer months....

I think it is also important to point out that a lot golf course restaurants will not allow golfers in the dining areas without a shower and change of clothes.... I personally find sweaty golfers offensive(even when it's me).

Also, I am not sure about FL... but in SC gambleing, or settleing up, in bars or restautants without a gaming liscense is illegal... and they will shut you down. Show a little respect toward the livelyhoods of the people that are trying to make a living while you settle your $2 bets., at your convenience.

The long and short of it...if one restaurants policys don't jive with you...go somewhere else, it does not mean that the restaurant owner is insensitive or unsympathetic... they are in most all cases trying to run a business to the good of the whole.... special interest groups, get over yourselfs yor a minority.

In referance managemant of Mallory and Glenview... Randy P. is a partner and common denominator in both restaurants...but to my knowledge has limited involvement in both. He runs his restaurant in Belleview... while the Country Clubs are operated by 2 different partners of his... Hince the vast difference in the in the organizations. Just FYI
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.