McCalls never again!!

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2019, 04:18 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Henry. Do you like the Chicken at McCalls? Will you still eat there?

I wasn't talking about age, I was talking about hand washing and restaurant cleanliness in general. And worrying about things that won't change.

I know you are a good cook and I am sure you wash your hands after you go to the bathroom. As do most of us, and our grandchildren. Our kitties do too.
I, for one, will never eat their chicken again. I never told anyone except my wife this but in January of last year I got food poisoning from eating their chicken wings. That wasn't bad enough but I had to get on a flight at 730 the next morning after being on the toilet all night. Now I hear that the cook doesn't wash his hands after going to the bathroom ! I will most likely never go there again now.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:44 PM

McCalls gives you dinner on the house when it's your birthday. It's worth a few boogers.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:51 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNaughton View Post
McCalls gives you dinner on the house when it's your birthday. It's worth a few boogers.
Free food poisoning? Love free stuff no matter what....
Old 05-08-2019, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

The cause of most food poisoning is not the food. It's the food handler. That makes it very hard to dismiss not washing hands after a bathroom visit.

Food Handlers Cause Most Food-Poisoning Cases – WebMD

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2019, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts
Default Some things are better not thought about

You go to a doctors office. Surely people are there because they are sick. Waiting about you decide to use the restroom. You wash your hands. Then, you touch the handle to get our of the restroom. Surely the hundred or so before you all did the same.

Same is of course true of all food serving places.

Not in Florida but we used to patronize a close by Chinese take out place that is until I saw one of the cooks sharpen his knife on the floor and then go back to food prep with that knife.

As a kid, I had a one day job washing dishes as the dish washing machine had broken down. YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Ok so you go to a bar sit down, the bar tender picks up the rag and wipes the counter off throws the rag on top of the slop sink asks what you want grabs the glass then the ice then the liquor or wine bottle makes your drink hands it to you and moves on. In the mean time cleans up someones dishes and silverware wipes the bar top again and moves on. Don't see any hand washing there either just saying. Yea your supposed to wash your hands after the Bathroom trip but watch how few don't ! So really every employee in a Bar or Restaurant I'm sure passes germs. If it worries you so much I guess best to stay home! Then again do you know if your house guests wash up ?
Old 05-08-2019, 11:45 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

Thumbs up to the health inspectors. Just a hunch but my guess they are overworked, under payed and receive few compliments for doing their job. Having a similar job in my young days, (not in restaurants) we were always short staffed and when I got promoted to management I understood how difficult it was to hire additional government employees. Those government employees who monitor, audit and inspect along with local first responders and teachers are to be commended for the work they do. Many times their “findings” more than pay for their salary and benefits. We have eaten at McCalls several times and always had a pleasant experence. On advice of our doctors and nutritionist, we have just begun trying to find more “healthy” foods to eat and that is a big change for us. Unfortunately, I don’t see fried chicken on the list of healthy foods.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNaughton View Post
They do have a handicapped stall with soap and water inside. We'll never know but chances are that the waiter did wash before going back to work.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Food poisoning including diarrhea and vomiting is mostly a result of the fecal - oral route. Or in layman's terms if you're gonna pinch a loaf make sure to wash your hands after.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2019, 03:16 PM
Veteran member

One of the priority violations at Cody's recently was that the servers didn't wash their hands after clearing tables but before picking up new plates. Restaurants generally have sinks next to the drop-off area for dirty dishes that servers are supposed to use after unloading. Do I think they're all stopping to scrub up multiple times per hour? Nope. (Although I imagine they'd want to after handling plates with strangers' mouth germs, paper napkins that have been used to blow noses, etc.)

It's all gross. I assume I've built up a lot of general immunity over the decades but still try not to think about germs too much lest I become paralyzed. The last time I had a bit of an upset stomach after eating, it was a salad I fixed myself.

I do wear a face mask when I go to the doctor's to try to avoid colds and flu. One guy got a little offended even though as a pulmonologist he should know from coughing. By the way, he didn't wash his hands before examining me.

Last edited by queasy27; 05-08-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I really don't spend any time in restrooms watching what people, employees or not, are doing. Makes me kinda wonder.
Further what about the non employee not washing their hands and then touching the door, then what do you do? Oh, I know don't touch the door.
Probably could go on and on...…..
Posting on here hoping your post will hurt their business also makes me kinda wonder.
And by the way had lunch their with 5 friends on Thursday.....are we all going to get sick and die?
Lastly the fried chicken was excellent.
It’s been almost a week......still alive.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

OMG, I MAY NEVER eat out again!
Old 05-08-2019, 09:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Six of us had dinner there this evening, food was great as usual and we are all still vertical.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-09-2019, 01:09 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Henry. Do you like the Chicken at McCalls? Will you still eat there?

I wasn't talking about age, I was talking about hand washing and restaurant cleanliness in general. And worrying about things that won't change.

I know you are a good cook and I am sure you wash your hands after you go to the bathroom. As do most of us, and our grandchildren. Our kitties do too.
I have only been to McCall’s once that I recall. It was okay, but I don’t remember it as particularly special.

Will I go back again? Who knows.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:30 PM
Sage

Complain to the manager. Complaining to TOTV doesn’t do any thing
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Closed Thread

Tags
back, week, regularly, 4-5, times

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.