McCalls never again!!

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2019, 11:11 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default Spanish Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
You must never go to Spanish Springs, it's a popular place been here 20 years. It's around the corner from Katie Belles and connected to the Bowling Alley. A couple of years ago I stopped in on a Saturday and there must of been a 100 Ohio State fans watching a game, but I understand it's a Buffalo Bills hangout. They also have live Blues Music certain nights of the week. They're noted for their fried chicken.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

McCall’s Tavern - 22 Photos & 23 Reviews - Bars - 999 Alverez Ave, Lady Lake, FL - Phone Number - Yelp
Yes, I go to Spanish Springs.. usually Demshars, and park in the lot around the sales center. Have been to the Sharon, gators, Amerikanos etc.. never happened to walk the street containing McCall's. Never recall a mention of the place on TOTV prior to this.

Appreciate the information, especially about the patrons. As an honorary Wolverine thanks to my daughter's graduation from UM School of Pharmacy, I wouldn't patronize a Buckeye establishment, especially during the months of August thru early January.

Thanks again
Old 08-03-2019, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I've heard people rave about McCall's fried chicken so we went there a few months back to try it out. It was mediocre at best. We weren't happy at all with it. Will not be eating there again.

As has been mentioned it's highly likely that many food service employees don't obey the law and wash their hands after using the toilet. In this case, you know about it, but you don't know what goes on in all of the other restaurants in the world. If you're truly concerned that every health code may not be being followed by employees, you probably should never eat out again.

On the other hand, I wonder if the butcher at Publix washed his hand before cutting that steak you're going to eat tonight.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:58 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

Descent fried chicken. None as good as grandma's!
Old 08-04-2019, 07:05 AM
Veteran member

Did the employee come out of a stall. Perhaps you are unaware that the men's room at Cody has a sink in the stall, so it is possible he washed his hands there. What did the manager say when you saw this happen. I assume you spoke to them first before you trashed their restaurant.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:59 AM
Michael Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Azz View Post
McCalls employee doesn’t wash his hands?My last time going there!!! Watched a kitchen worker leave the toilet and didn't wash his hands!! Must be a common practice in the villages because the same thing happened at Cody’s in Sumter landing a year ago and I was there regularly 4-5 times a week but never went back afterwards!!
Having owned a restaurant and knowing an employee was negligent in following the simplest rule says a lot about an establishment and the management team. NEVER AGAIN!!!!
Having owned 3 restaurants over a 35 year period, I too am appalled by this practice by some employees not washing their hands after using the restrooms. I know that there is a code requiring many food service establishments to have a hand washing sink (not to be used for any other purposes!) installed in the back off the house just for the purpose of washing their hands after using the bathrooms. In no way does it excuse them not washing up in the restroom. Now, even if they did wash their hands while in your presence, the customer who didn't wash their hands after using the restrooms has already "infected" the door handle so, that is why the code exists for the hand washing sink in the back of the house. I had heard of a way to train staff after using the restroom to wash up before returning to work by clipping a lottery ticket to the hooks where they hang their aprons before using the restrooms so perhaps they may look for them regularly then think about the seriousness of hand washing safety. One last thing about this, all cooks must put on gloves before returning to the line.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:21 PM

A lot of things go on behind the scenes in restaurants. I know this for certain. When I first moved to this part of Florida one of the first things I
noticed was the health inspections were not nearly as stringent as the state & county I came from. I do not know the number of unannounced visits they make per establishment per year, but I have witnessed employees using the restroom and walking out without washing their hands at more establishments than I care to think about. Sadly, I think many people suffer mild illnesses from this careless health practice but never know the source. Also consider, in most school districts, the teachers no long stand in the restrooms to insure that each and every child washes with soap and water. This was once an almost universal priority no matter what school district. In many districts the school nurses would visit every classroom in the district, demonstrate, and even teach the children to sing ROW ROW ROW your boat 3 times.... to demonstrate the correct time period needed to keep hands germ free and reach the finger nails as well. We have to realize many workers come from families and from schools where this is just not a priority. Eating without washing is much more common than you would think, so why would that be a priority at work ? Just a thinking point to consider.....

Last edited by Ladygolfer93; 08-07-2019 at 11:25 PM. Reason: correct a word
Old 08-08-2019, 09:18 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,252 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 View Post
A lot of things go on behind the scenes in restaurants. I know this for certain. When I first moved to this part of Florida one of the first things I
noticed was the health inspections were not nearly as stringent as the state & county I came from.
I do not know the number of unannounced visits they make per establishment per year, but I have witnessed employees using the restroom and walking out without washing their hands at more establishments than I care to think about. Sadly, I think many people suffer mild illnesses from this careless health practice but never know the source. Also consider, in most school districts, the teachers no long stand in the restrooms to insure that each and every child washes with soap and water. This was once an almost universal priority no matter what school district. In many districts the school nurses would visit every classroom in the district, demonstrate, and even teach the children to sing ROW ROW ROW your boat 3 times.... to demonstrate the correct time period needed to keep hands germ free and reach the finger nails as well. We have to realize many workers come from families and from schools where this is just not a priority. Eating without washing is much more common than you would think, so why would that be a priority at work ? Just a thinking point to consider.....
I agree with you. Cody's Roadhouse Brownwood should have been shut down for a week, not a day. That would get the owners attention.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I've heard people rave about McCall's fried chicken so we went there a few months back to try it out. It was mediocre at best. We weren't happy at all with it. Will not be eating there again.
Their fried chicken used to be fantastic, not so much anymore.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
Their fried chicken used to be fantastic, not so much anymore.
I noticed that. Not the flavor but the quality of the chicken.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2019, 07:06 PM
Veteran member

Penn State has gone there for the quite a few years now, not Ohio State. The management is very good to their sports fan clientele. The fish dinner is really better than the chicken dinner. Very nice side salad, too, that can be one of your sides. I also like the green beans. I’m not sure where Michigan followers are going. My dad was a big Michigan fan. Big Ten reigns in The Villages. All good teams and all good people in all of them. I love football 🏈
Closed Thread

Tags
back, week, regularly, 4-5, times

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.